• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

T

TOCC

Barba looks reasonable, seems to be playing the playmaker role quite well. I think he will earn a contract extension after this tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

and then the Fijians get a try after a sloppy grubber kick from Barba

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe we should follow the example of the US and try and convert some actual sprinters into sevens players. There's obviously not enough time before Rio to do this, but maybe by 2020 we could have a couple of options if we made it a focus. Almost every Australian sprinter would have a better opportunity of both making a living, and winning an olympic medal in rugby 7's than in athletics.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah and she dominates! A lot of the women's team are from other backgrounds. It's not as needed in men's given the greater base of male rugby players, but in this one specific area - speed, we do seem to be lacking.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Is the Tom Merritt playing for the Aussie Thunderbolts the same Tom Merrit who played on the wing for Tweed Heads in the Queensland cup RL for years?? He used to have a lot of pace, would probably still be close to the fastest in that squad.
On Barba, he has never been particularly quick over more than 40m, he is very quick off the mark but is often run down if he has more than 60m to run.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have never seen Barba play, but his brother is a dynamite broken field runner from what little I have seen. One break can be enough to make a meat pie in Sevings.

Jeeper

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I have never seen Barba play, but his brother is a dynamite broken field runner from what little I have seen. One break can be enough to make a meat pie in Sevings.

Marmin was always considered faster than Ben, but I think Ben can read a game better and is more elusive. Both can be exciting players to watch

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Marmin was always considered faster than Ben, but I think Ben can read a game better and is more elusive. Both can be exciting players to watch

There must be a substantial difference in ability.

One is a bonafide NRL star and the other is playing Qld Cup.

T

TOCC

One is a bonafide NRL star and the other is playing Qld Cup.

How the stars have fallen, Ben Barba was used mostly off the bench in 2015 and with new interchange rules in 2016 he might be sent down to reserve grade. He was in phenomenal form in 2011/2012, but hasn't hit those heights again since. NRL has too much of a focus on height and size, the only small blokes they will have in their team is in the halves.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Ellia Green was a sprinter before she joined Sevens.
The men's team should speak to Rowan Browning. He is 17. Has had run a wind assisted 10.2 seconds (he came second!) AND he loves rugby. As good as he is an Olympic sprint medal is a tough ask, but he could win an Olympic medal with a 7s team. Every sprinter loves the Olympic Dream.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e/news-story/b36c0a43e77f13cbc1685f48a96ad8af

edit: here is a video of him
http://m.smh.com.au/sport/athletics...ralias-teen-sprint-stars-20141208-122g66.html

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Why not both? Seriously. Look at it this way. Carlin Isles touted the fastest man in Rugby has a best time of 10.23. According to the video above 6 or the 7 ran under 10.50. Imagine placing both Williams and Browning on the pitch together.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Isles ran 10.13 with wind assistance. I think 20 and 40m speed is probably more relevant to be honest and Isles is exceptionally quick over the shorter distances. I read somewhere that he's faster than Bolt over 20 and that he holds the 40 yard dash record at the NFL combine. He also seems to have maintained pretty remarkable top line speed despite having to improve his fitness to play sevens. I doubt we'll find someone quite as quick but anywhere close would be great!

How the stars have fallen, Ben Barba was used mostly off the bench in 2015 and with new interchange rules in 2016 he might be sent down to reserve grade. He was in phenomenal form in 2011/2012, but hasn't hit those heights again since. NRL has too much of a focus on height and size, the only small blokes they will have in their team is in the halves.

In that case maybe he could make a late switch to join his brother.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Henry Hitchison ran 10.79 when he was 16. Isle ran around him with plenty of space but it just shows how fast he is over 20 and 40 like you say.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Henry Hitchison ran 10.79 when he was 16. Isle ran around him with plenty of space but it just shows how fast he is over 20 and 40 like you say.

He recorded a 40 yard dash of 4.22 in 2014 while training with the Detriot Lions. The fastest time recorded in the NFLthat year. Evidently that's quicker than Bolt over tge same distance.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Bolt makes all his distance in the back half. The stride once he's going is absolutely ridiculous.

High top speed and high acceleration are both important for Rugby, but particularly for 7s. One without the other often means getting caught early, or getting caught late, depending on which one's missing.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

How much of his drop from stardom was due to his widely reported alcohol and gambling problems?

I don't think it was so much changes in the NRL that caused his dramatic drop from taking the Bulldogs to the 2012 grand final to where he is now.

Anyway, hopefully the other Barba does well for the Aussie 7s.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
When we talk about speed, I have always believed that spme players are relatively faster in football kit (and carrying the ball) than they are in running gear on the track. And vice versa.

Obviously track times are a very important indicator, but not the only one.

Surely there will be some variances from athlete to athlete.

It's a bit like comparing swimmers' lap times and then extrapolating how fast they will be in open water.

T

TOCC

How much of his drop from stardom was due to his widely reported alcohol and gambling problems?

I don't think it was so much changes in the NRL that caused his dramatic drop from taking the Bulldogs to the 2012 grand final to where he is now.

I would only be speculating if I commented on the alcohol or gambling issues. I think it's a combination of injury, confidence and also been pushed into a position he isn't suited.

He played fullback for the Doggies, but most NRL teams prefer a big tall fullback for the up and under kicks, as we know this is a major means of scoring in the NRL. While he was as the Broncos they moved into the halves where he was average, Cronulla also used him in the halves where he was again average, they tried him at fullback where he didn't fire so they finally found a use for him off the bench as a late game utility player/match winner.

With the new rules in 2016 which limits interchange, there isn't a spot for utility players, the interchange will be mostly reserved for the big forwards. So potentially, Barba who is on a reported $800'000/annum contract could be playing reserve grade.

I actually think Barba would be better suited to union, union isn't as obsessed with having massive wingers and fullbacks, there are plenty of smaller wingers and fullbacks out there.