• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
They've also been full time professional athletes for a number of years against players who are amateurs.

This is the big advantage the Aussie women's 7s team had a few years ago and we've subsequently come back to the pack a fair bit since 2016 as other countries have caught up.

Over time the tide might turn as NRLW improves its professionalism but initially I think it will provide a recruitment opportunity for rugby.

The drawcard of the travel and Olympics for 7s is pretty strong for young athletes.

Absolutely NRLW is likely to become a threat in the next few years. I think it will be a while before the money starts to flow though.

In a non COVID world I'd agree but the issues are will the Olympics happen in 2021 (unlikely) and when will the World Series re-start (2022-2023 maybe)?

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
We could very easily lose a whole generation of 7’s talent due to covid and once that happens we are starting from square one again

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
NRL is a threat but I would hope it is also an opportunity. The Sevens players should be trying to bring a few of the best players across to rugby with an Olympic medal as one of the incentives.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from the AON Uni7s Final at Bond Uni on the weekend.

Bond took out the tournament and also the series with wins in both legs of the Finals. Chloe Dalton and Alysia Lefau-Fakoasilea also made successful comebacks from injury

Bond have 2 players that Rugby Australia should do everything they can to keep in the game. Sisters Maddison (19) and Teagan (17) Levi, both named in the series Dream Team, with Teagan being named player of the series. Both play AFLW, and have fantastic skills and athleticism

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aussie 7s squads for some weekend matches v the Kiwis. To be shown on Stan.

Australian Women’s Sevens travelling squad:
Charlotte Caslick
Lillian Dick
Dominique Du Toit
Ellia Green
Demi Hayes
Madison Higgins-Ashby
Alysia Lefau-Fakaosilea
Faith Nathan
Sariah Paki
Shannon Parry
Evania Pelite
Cassandra Staples
Sharni Williams
Bienne Terita
Georgia Hannaway
Chloe Dalton
Tia Hinds
Lori Cramer

Australian Men’s Sevens travelling squad:
Angus Bell
Joshua Coward
Henry Hutchison (vc)
Maurice Longbottom (vc)
Lachlan Miller
Dylan Pietsch
Lewis Holland
Dietrich Roache
Trae Williams
Jordan Williams
Nick Malouf (c)
Joshua Turner
Stu Dunbar
Pama Fou
Nathan Lawson
Henry Paterson
Lachlan Anderson
Nick Chapman

Fixtures:

Friday May 21: Grammar Tec, Auckland
8:00am – Black Ferns Sevens v Australian Women’s Sevens
8:30am – All Black Sevens v Australian Men’s Sevens
1:30pm – Australian Women’s Sevens v Black Ferns Sevens
2:00pm – Australian Men’s Sevens v All Black Sevens

Saturday May 22: Eden Park, Auckland
1:00pm – Black Ferns Sevens v Australian Women’s Sevens
1:23pm – All Black Sevens v Australian Men’s Sevens
4:40pm – Australian Women’s Sevens v Black Ferns Sevens
5:03pm – Australian Men’s Sevens v All Black Sevens

Sunday May 23: Grammar Tec, Auckland
9:00am – Black Ferns Sevens v Australian Women’s Sevens
9:30am – All Black Sevens v Australian Men’s Sevens
1:00pm – Australian Women’s Sevens v Black Ferns Sevens
1:30pm – Australian Men’s Sevens v All Black Sevens

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Smart move by Angus Bell, the guy has the chance to go to the Olympics, what an opportunity for the young guy

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some very exciting talent in both squads. A number of western Sydney products too if I’m not mistaken.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
They both play for Sydney Uni too so it adds to the confusion. The Sevens Angus Bell played at 13 for Syd Uni Reserve Grade last year.