• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Heard a few mentions of an upcoming series in Townsville but I can't figure no any dates for it, does anyone know? Also heard that Fiji might send teams but that will obviously depend on how their Covid outbreak pans out.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This would explain why I can't find dates for Townsville:

"Black Ferns Sevens coach Allan Bunting confirmed they were planning the three-team friendly tournament; however, the dates were not yet set but would be sometime in late June."

Sounds like NZ will then stay in tropical NQ as prep for the expected heat & humidity in Tokyo.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
This would explain why I can't find dates for Townsville:

"Black Ferns Sevens coach Allan Bunting confirmed they were planning the three-team friendly tournament; however, the dates were not yet set but would be sometime in late June."

Sounds like NZ will then stay in tropical NQ as prep for the expected heat & humidity in Tokyo.

side note quite a few of the aus Olympians are going into a bubble in FNQ pre olympics

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I've since seen an interview with one of the NZ women's 7's where she said both they & the men will be spending some time in FNQ then Okinawa before quarantining in Tokyo. She expected they'll be o/s for eight weeks in total then there's another two weeks of MIQ when they get back to NZ. That's almost like going back to the days when Olympic teams travelled by boat!

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
She was a great player.

my reading was she retired after being told she wouldn’t make it on the plane?
which bodes well for the depth in the squad.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No one talking about Kerevi signed for Tokyo Olympics? Huge signing. Probably means he’s open to a wallabies return too.

pissedoffihavetoregister

Bill Watson (15)
Its a shame emily cherry retired (she was really good), if she was told she wouldn't make it, then fair enough. I've thought over last year or so there are still too many of the old 7's squad still making the team when they should have been replaced by now. Caslik looked great in nz, played most of the games, which is pretty amazing. Whilst i would like to see more of the younger set go to japan a lot of them are not that big and hence get rag dolled by the kiwi/bigger girls. No easy answer there.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
No one talking about Kerevi signed for Tokyo Olympics? Huge signing. Probably means he’s open to a wallabies return too.

I’m not a 7s expert but isn’t the point to evade contact more so than 15s?

Kerevi’s play style is that of a battering ram. Doesn’t seem to suit 7s but maybe I’m wrong.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Depends. If you can take 2-3 defenders out and recycle quickly the team will have an overlap

Yep fair enough.

The other concern is probably how he goes with defensive alignments, the Japanese league isn't exactly known for their strong defensive lines so it's hard to gauge where he's at. When he left Australia I think his defensive reading had come a long way from his first couple of pro seasons.

Will be interesting to see if he makes it.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's a good news article to raise interest in 7's, will help him get fitter for his next stint in Japan, I doubt he'll be selected in the final team.

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
i think he'll make it. Our 7's team isn't exactly top notch at the moment, he'll make a decent forward coming off the bench

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
that barbarians team will be interesting. I wonder if it means each team provides a few extra squad members so they get some game time?