• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What I said about supposed Rennie comment and Bledisloe?
Not sure, but from what I have read the International window that players have to be released from clubs is either Oct 24th or Nov 7th? How are SA going to get a team assembled and put etc etc with 2 week quarantine in Aus and still be able to play? I assume they doing some negotiations with NH clubs I would think.
Seems the ABs have been told it not requirement for players to come, there is quite a few new Dads etc in team, and thing BB wife is due sometime soon, we could have a very watered down comp if we not going to have all teams reasonably strong. I just can't get my head around how Pumas are going to be here in any strength.

The UK based players will arrive late. So they will have to quarantine separately and not selected for the first test, possibly 2.

Let's rather wait for next year's fictitious vaccine.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Dan, didn't SANZAAR establish the RC schedule and location of the tournament? That being so, would I be correct in assuming both SARU and Argentina Rugby would have considered the availability of their players and on balance have decided the better course was to participate, whether for the money or otherwise?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Dan, didn't SANZAAR establish the RC schedule and location of the tournament? That being so, would I be correct in assuming both SARU and Argentina Rugby would have considered the availability of their players and on balance have decided the better course was to participate, whether for the money or otherwise?
Yeah, I don't see how SARU could agree to the RC and then not show up. Would be weird.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also it would make Jurie Roux & SA Rugby look awfully hypocritical after he threatened legal action earlier this year if NZ and Aus pulled out of future Super Rugby (despite SA always threatening to go North).

in terms of Sanzaar and the joint venture agreement, there is a very legal agreement in place and you’ve got to act within that legal agreement.
"If you act outside of that legal agreement, you’re in breach of the joint venture and you make yourself liable for legal action from the other parties in that joint venture.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Don't know what is actually agreed, seems we got a case of Aus supposedly agreeing to a Bledisloe schedule and according to reports Rennie wanting change? See I not sure what has been agreed on, but you would hope all parties have taken everything into consideration! But hopefully everything has been taken into account and it is reasonably even playing field for all concerned. We want a proper championship or better with none at all in my mind, but I realise that money trumps fairness.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Don't know what is actually agreed, seems we got a case of Aus supposedly agreeing to a Bledisloe schedule and according to reports Rennie wanting change? See I not sure what has been agreed on, but you would hope all parties have taken everything into consideration! But hopefully everything has been taken into account and it is reasonably even playing field for all concerned. We want a proper championship or better with none at all in my mind, but I realise that money trumps fairness.
Didn't sound like the Bledisloe's had been ironed out. The SANZAAR meeting was just about the RC. I reckon at most they agreed to move the two Bled's to NZ.

It could also simply be a case of the Unions not talking to the coaches. It may come down to the coaches not wanting to put out a team that is likely to lose verse the Unions wanting to stay afloat - think the Unions will win that one.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At today's Covid update Jacinda confirmed that the training bubble rules were driven by concerns over South Africa & moreso Argentina, those applying to NZ Bleds are likely to be much less strict.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
At today's Covid update Jacinda confirmed that the training bubble rules were driven by concerns over South Africa & moreso Argentina, those applying to NZ Bleds are likely to be much less strict.

Sooooo, we don't have to do it? NZ are recording the same community transmissions than QLD + NSW combined today.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I think what will happen is that anyone who returns a negative test will be allowed to join the training bubble. I also think it's possible that our DoH will say that a negative test carried out pre-departure by your DoH will suffice but everyone in the training bubble will have to return a second negative test towards the end of the 14 days (we currently re-test on day 12) before being cleared to travel to Auckland or wherever.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Didn't sound like the Bledisloe's had been ironed out. The SANZAAR meeting was just about the RC. I reckon at most they agreed to move the two Bled's to NZ.

It could also simply be a case of the Unions not talking to the coaches. It may come down to the coaches not wanting to put out a team that is likely to lose verse the Unions wanting to stay afloat - think the Unions will win that one.

Think you doing a lot of guessing there mate:D

Though I know where you coming from, RA can change things but not SARU or Argentina?

Jaguardo

Peter Burge (5)
Press release from UAR:

A new week of training begins

Following Australia's confirmation as the host for the Personal Rugby Championship 2020, Los Pumas are still getting ready for the next trip to ocean soil.

In order to raise health safety standards, this week will continue with more PCR testing on Monday 14 and Thursday 17 September. It will be with those players, considered to be close contacts, who are in isolation and who tested negative on the second and third swabs. Based on the results, they will be added to the training sessions at Casa Pumas, in order to carry out activities under the protocol of hygiene and distance measures.

For their part, the group of players who recovered from the first positive swab, who had already returned last week, will be at Casa Pumas tomorrow (Tomás Lezana, Santiago Carreras, Santiago Chocobares, Federico Wegrzyn and José Luis González). Javier Ortega Desio will also be there, having obtained medical discharge after testing positive for COVID 19 before the start of the Argentinian team's preparations on 13 August.

Emiliano Boffelli, Bautista Delguy, Juan Cruz Mallía, Juan Bautista Pedemonte, Rodrigo Fernández Criado and Lucas Bur, positive on the second swab; and Matías Moroni, Felipe Ezcurra, Tomás Cubelli, Matías Orlando and Mateo Carreas, positive on the third swab, are waiting for the epidemiological and cardiological discharge so that they can return to training this week, at Casa Pumas.

As far as the date of departure from Los Pumas is concerned, different alternatives are still being studied taking into account all the health security measures to be able to travel.

Argentine players who participated in the European tournaments (ENG - FRA) last weekend:

García Botta (Harlequins)
Calles (Pau)
Gigena (Leicester)
Creevy (London Irish)
Petti (Bordeaux)
Lavanini (Leicester)
Galarza (Bayonne)
Alemanno (Gloucester)
Matera (Stade Francais)
Kremer (Stade Francais)
Isa (Toulon)
Montagner (Mont-de-Marsa)
Sánchez (Stade Francais)
Urdapilleta (Castres)
Fernández P. (Lyon)
Sociono J.P. (Saracens)
Cordero S. (Bordeaux)
Cordero F. (Exeter)
Moyano (Toulon)
Imhoff (Racing 92)
Tuculet S. (Valence Romans)

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think SARU have provisionally agreed to participate. The holdup is not SARU. Government mandated no contact training for how many months, before that no training at all.

Now, we're back with contact training but we're yet to hear from government about actually playing, not to mention international travel which is currently not permitted.

SARU cannot say "No, we won't be there" because we need to money, at the same time they can't say "Yes, we'll definitely be there" because of government.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jacinda just confirmed that Wobs will be able to train in groups (didn't say how big) after day three in quarantine & as a full squad from day six. Still a lot that needs to happen but this is a good start.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And still unacceptable I’d imagine. Train from day 1 or nothing.

Never going to happen! Surely everyone will have to have a few days and then test negative before they train, for christ sake how important does everyone think a Wallaby test is, that NZ should throw out all controls. Noone can tell me that 3 days is to tough, christ how do they handle going to NH, they travel 2 days and then have a couple of days before training. Really a lot of hoohaa over bugger all, they will sort it out. Still sells papers etc, you only have to read any papers or watch news you know everything is blown up. According to news here NSW and QLD at war etc , just everyone calm down.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok well matches in NZ never going to happen then.

You know the Warriors could train in Australia from day 1 right? That was back in May.

If NZ can't make it work they can come here.

You know there's European Cup finals going on this weekend? Teams will probably only travel to France/Ireland/UK the night or 2 nights beforehand. And they have far more daily cases. No quarantine required.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Ok well matches in NZ never going to happen then.

You know the Warriors could train in Australia from day 1 right? That was back in May.

If NZ can't make it work they can come here.

You know there's European Cup finals going on this weekend? Teams will probably only travel to France/Ireland/UK the night or 2 nights beforehand. And they have far more daily cases. No quarantine required.

I don't give a monkeys what the Warriors did in Australia, for f**** sake there are people going bankrupt and losing businesses here and NZ because of this f***ing virus, and people are wanting other countries to throw out their quarantine so a game of rugby can go ahead, sorry mate, I agree you try a few things but if you think that is the way that is needed, I think it time to scrap whole bloody thing!
I just had a look at some of the posts here and other boards, headlines etc and have decided that there a fair few people need to wake up and realise how stupid it all is. We can't play a game if we have to quarantine for 3 days FFS!!

And you using the European case where it is rampant? You serious you want us like that? Really?