• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
There is no such proof that anyone is immune after catching covid. There were certainly more people catching it more than once in Asia. The herd immunity theory is thus far unproven. Nothing short of a vaccine is a certainty.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-07-23/can-you-catch-coronavirus-twice/12481448

Truthfully even a vaccine isn't a certainty either as it likewise relies on herd immunity coupled with the efficacy of the vaccine itself which in many cases may be a lot lower than you expect.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Of course, i am talking about how viruses ordinarily act. We still have a lot to learn about Covid-19 in particular.

But it would be very surprising if people didn't develop any immune response to the virus after contracting it. That would also mean a vaccine could never be made.

There are some question marks over how long people are maintaining immunity.

Doesn't mean a vaccine couldn't ever be made, just that like many vaccines you would need boosters to maintain a degree of immunity.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
More importantly how does the revenue share for tickets sold to live games - does RA stand to make a bit more revenue or is it shared

What tickets? What sort of crowd are we realistically thinking will be allowed in NSW - like 2000 maybe?

Seems a very strange decision to me caring NSW over Queensland or WA given the risks for allowable crowd numbers...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What tickets? What sort of crowd are we realistically thinking will be allowed in NSW - like 2000 maybe?

Seems a very strange decision to me caring NSW over Queensland or WA given the risks for allowable crowd numbers.

Last I heard the max capacity was 25% of the facilities maximum. So if it were to be played at ANZ it would be a little over 20k.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
Well not according to NZ PM, she reckons teams ok after 3 days if everyone tests ok! Now I realise we all know better than her, but that is what she said!
Not according to the SMH Dan

“In New Zealand, teams would have been forced into strict hotel isolation for four days. From days five to seven, they’d be in a bubble of 15 people. From days eight to 14, that bubble would expand to 25, which, as Robinson said, "makes it difficult for the way teams want to prepare". He was referencing South Africa and Argentina, who have played next to no rugby this year.”

Jaguardo

Peter Burge (5)
How will they be "immunised" there is no vaccine. Just because someone has had the disease does not make them immune from contracting it again.

Out of 500,000 cases already registered in Argentina (it is estimated that there must be at least another half million undetected asymptomatic infections), there is no evidence of any re-contamination. This would give us a very low probability of stopping problems for a long time (maybe until the virus mutates, eventually, in a significant way, as it happens with the seasonal flu).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Obviously both NZR & NZ Gov are trying to spin this to look like the other or SANZAAR are mostly to blame, but it does seem that the biggest issue for our Health people was the bokke & Pumas arriving from multiple places, rather than Wobs from one, hence their being so hard-line on capping training bubbles at 25. Also it's clear that NSW State & Aus Fed Govs have financed and/ or underwritten it to a greater degree than NZ Gov was willing or able to. So well done RA & all concerned, here's hoping for a great tournament.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not according to the SMH Dan

“In New Zealand, teams would have been forced into strict hotel isolation for four days. From days five to seven, they’d be in a bubble of 15 people. From days eight to 14, that bubble would expand to 25, which, as Robinson said, "makes it difficult for the way teams want to prepare". He was referencing South Africa and Argentina, who have played next to no rugby this year.”

Well I not sure SMH or NZ PM anyway, NZ's was still harder and fair enough, I am more than comfortable with outcome, happy for RA and Aus that they got it, and pleased for NZ that they still insist that doing what they think to keep country safe is more important than holding tournament. Realistically NZ fans will only be disappointed at missing the Bok's test, because they already going to have a couple of Bledisloe tests, I not sure too many will be overly upset at losing tests against understrength Argentina. Also good for game here!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yeah if 'tron had gotten to host a game I'd have gone regardless of who was playing but only 'cos it's the right thing for a footy freak to do IMO. But I'm equally happy to support the thing by keeping my skysport sub going.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Haven't seen any tv today but in papers & on radio Chairman Impey is very much blaming NZ DoH for insisting on solo training only for first three days; groups of no more than 10 days 4-7, everyone having returned a negative test; and groups of up to 25 days 8-14, everyone having returned a second negative test. Can't prep for a tournament like that.

People will say Government should've overruled DoH but if they did that & there was an outbreak say among the staff at Millbrook or whichever Queenstown facility you can imagine the blow-back so safer for Jacinda, Hipkins & Co. to "follow the science". Possibly safer for all five million of us kiwis, too, for that matter.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Haven't seen any tv today but in papers & on radio Chairman Impey is very much blaming NZ DoH for insisting on solo training only for first three days; groups of no more than 10 days 4-7, everyone having returned a negative test; and groups of up to 25 days 8-14, everyone having returned a second negative test. Can't prep for a tournament like that.

People will say Government should've overruled DoH but if they did that & there was an outbreak say among the staff at Millbrook or whichever Queenstown facility you can imagine the blow-back so safer for Jacinda, Hipkins & Co. to "follow the science". Possibly safer for all five million of us kiwis, too, for that matter.
As it currently stands Aus will still be exposed to this for the lead up to the Bledisloe, while NZ will be training away uninterrupted. We shouldn’t complain because it’s the world we currently live in but it would be nice if NZ implied some NFL stile training restrictions on themselves to mirror what Aus will go through. Not saying isolation that would be stupid but limit themselves to the same training restrictions with only a certain amount of people to participate. I presume we will hear very little about this in NZ but a lot about it in Aus.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
^ yeah if 'tron had gotten to host a game I'd have gone regardless of who was playing but only 'cos it's the right thing for a footy freak to do IMO. But I'm equally happy to support the thing by keeping my skysport sub going.
Yep same I am happy to support it and that means considering going to games like Argentina vs South Africa because yep rugby tragic but also got to support it.to get support they definitely should market it as a mini World Cup

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As it currently stands Aus will still be exposed to this for the lead up to the Bledisloe, while NZ will be training away uninterrupted. We shouldn’t complain because it’s the world we currently live in but it would be nice if NZ implied some NFL stile training restrictions on themselves to mirror what Aus will go through. Not saying isolation that would be stupid but limit themselves to the same training restrictions with only a certain amount of people to participate. I presume we will hear very little about this in NZ but a lot about it in Aus.

I won't go into the reasons we're still in L2/2.5 here as they're not really relevant (see the Covid thread) but I'd hope that by late September we'll be back to L1 & that DoH will accordingly relax their protocols (which I'm fairly sure were mostly intended to prevent the virus coming in from South Africa, Argentina or Europe rather than Australia, your guys just got caught up in their "one rule for all" approach) to allow full-squad training from the get-go.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
So, RA have given the finger to the kiwi's and their '2 team invitation' bullshit, and have them swinging wildly by trying to...steal the Force off us, and now we've scored whatever form this RC takes?

*something between a giggle and a snigger*

*mad scientist laughter*

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, RA have given the finger to the kiwi's and their '2 team invitation' bullshit

Show me where anyone authorised to speak on behalf of NZR ever said this.

So, RA....have [NZR] swinging wildly by trying to.steal the Force off us,

Or are WF in "once bitten, twice shy" mode?

....and now we've scored whatever form this RC takes

Note that Jurie Roux won't confirm SA's involvement:

https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/...y-championship-participation-a-doubt-20200911

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
So, RA have given the finger to the kiwi's and their '2 team invitation' bullshit, and have them swinging wildly by trying to.steal the Force off us, and now we've scored whatever form this RC takes?

*something between a giggle and a snigger*

*mad scientist laughter*

#changing_room_whiteboard_motivational_clipping