• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well not according to NZ PM, she reckons teams ok after 3 days if everyone tests ok! Now I realise we all know better than her, but that is what she said!
Yeah she seemed to think it had more to do with SANZAAR politics and money.

Maybe because we will have crowds? i dunno.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And SA have to be given the most credit, they probably risk coming pretty under done and with the most to lose. They lose No 1 ranking will hurt sponsorship $s, but the other side of coin Wallabies have heaps to gain, they knock over ABs or SA they jump up points, but nothing in it for others in standings!

Likewise though, sponsors want the team they sponsor playing games.

14 days quarantine.

That is for general international arrivals. The same conditions won't be in place for international sporting teams.

I would imagine each team will go into a bubble and the only players who need to separately quarantine will be any arriving on a different flight because they are coming from a different location. That won't be for 14 days though.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
True - once you reach number 1 why bother playing another game eh.

Don't be daft mate, I saying they taking huge risk as they will probably be well under done for tournament, think about it, Wallabies and ABs will be having camps etc well before they can get togther and it is a bit risky.
And I can't see players coming back from Europe, straight into training without quarantine, and then getting over here in real top condition. Just saying it not complete even playing field, and admit nothing can be done about it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah she seemed to think it had more to do with SANZAAR politics and money.

Maybe because we will have crowds? i dunno.

I think so mate, and State government etc putting in some cash. As I said I pretty relaxed, don't care where it played.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah - good news is a load of test rugby is going to be played.

I worry for the turnout though, particularly if we get thumped twice in a row over there.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yeah - good news is a load of test rugby is going to be played.

I worry for the turnout though, particularly if we get thumped twice in a row over there.

Me too, I just reliased that ABs and I assume Argoes and Boks will still have to quarantine when returning home, so most will be in quarantine on Xmas day! Probably a bit shit!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
From the tweeter

Quarantine was the deal breaker that sent the Rugby Championship to Auz. Teams could not train on arrival in NZ, and bubble sizes were restricted to 25 players when South Africa squad will be 45 + management. Australia allows full teams to train together from day one.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quarantine in a group. They basically treat the entire team as if they were a single person. If some of them test positive none of them come out of quarantine.

They did the same for the Melbourne Storm when they became refugees from their oppressive junta, they get stuck in a resort and train for 14 days

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Most of the Pumas' forwards (locks and back rowers mainly) are playing in Europe and would be released in mid-October (Petti, Lavanini, Alemanno, Matera, Kremer, Isa). Curiously, those who are testing positive-asymptomatic, and who in two weeks would already be immunized, are the backs that would complete a first choice lineup (Boffelli, Delguy, Carreras, Moroni, Orlando, Cubelli). No one can take away from my mind that there can be an effort to get "clean" in order to circulate more easily.

How will they be "immunised" there is no vaccine. Just because someone has had the disease does not make them immune from contracting it again.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How will they be "immunised" there is no vaccine. Just because someone has had the disease does not make them immune from contracting it again.
Actually, it usually does mean that. AFAIK there has only been one reported case worldwide (in the UK) where a person who has contracted Covid-19 has later contracted it again.

It's what all the 'let the old people die, we need haircuts' folk have been saying we should be facilitating - i.e. 'herd immunity'.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Actually, it usually does mean that. AFAIK there has only been one reported case worldwide (in the UK) where a person who has contracted Covid-19 has later contracted it again.

It's what all the 'let the old people die, we need haircuts' folk have been saying we should be facilitating - i.e. 'herd immunity'.

There is no such proof that anyone is immune after catching covid. There were certainly more people catching it more than once in Asia. The herd immunity theory is thus far unproven. Nothing short of a vaccine is a certainty.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-07-23/can-you-catch-coronavirus-twice/12481448

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
There is no such proof that anyone is immune after catching covid. There were certainly more people catching it more than once in Asia. The herd immunity theory is thus far unproven. Nothing short of a vaccine is a certainty.
Of course, i am talking about how viruses ordinarily act. We still have a lot to learn about Covid-19 in particular.

But it would be very surprising if people didn't develop any immune response to the virus after contracting it. That would also mean a vaccine could never be made.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Of course, i am talking about how viruses ordinarily act. We still have a lot to learn about Covid-19 in particular.

But it would be very surprising if people didn't develop any immune response to the virus after contracting it. That would also mean a vaccine could never be made.

It's definitely no certainty & wouldn't be applied as a positive to those unfortunate Argie players at this stage.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
And SA have to be given the most credit, they probably risk coming pretty under done and with the most to lose. They lose No 1 ranking will hurt sponsorship $s, but the other side of coin Wallabies have heaps to gain, they knock over ABs or SA they jump up points, but nothing in it for others in standings!

Well all 3 unions have a lot to lose, if they dont play the RC then they all miss out the final instalment of broadcast dollars for 2020. Its worth $millions to all unions

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
More importantly how does the revenue share for tickets sold to live games - does RA stand to make a bit more revenue or is it shared

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
More importantly how does the revenue share for tickets sold to live games - does RA stand to make a bit more revenue or is it shared

I believe there will be a revenue sharing agreement, i doubt will be privy to how that is split though.