• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm also sceptical that this isn't just NZRU putting out a statement to say "look, we tried" but also as part of SANZAAR knowing that two other teams being unwilling to play a condensed 5 week comp trumped their desire to be out of quarantine on Christmas Day.

NZRU statement helps appease their players and maybe puts pressure on NZ government to let them out a day early.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems NZR turned down the exact same request from RA for the exact sams reason when it was to be held in NZ.

Both these Unions are so badly run.

From Paul Cully's tweets seems it's SANZAAR's doing.

Wow. NZ Rugby have fired up at scheduling. CEO Mark Robinson: "We haven't agreed to this schedule and are disappointed at the announcement."

I understand Rugby Australia agreed to 5 week tournament to let ABs return for Christmas but South Africa and Argentina said no.

Boks and Pumas (rightly) worried about short turnaround due to lack of rugby. When tournament was due to be held in NZ, Aussies wanted to shorten it to get back for Xmas and were also told no.

NZ Rugby CEO Mark Robinson says they were happy to jiggle schedule in NZ-held TRC to get Wallabies home for Christmas, but confirms Boks, Pumas need a six week tournament.

https://twitter.com/paulcullystuff?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Merinos is probably salty that he keeps looking like the Iraqi information minister; saying old Super Rugby is fine when evidence to the contrary continues to mount.

As it is they'll probably get a shortened, or altered, quarantine period from the government on return.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The issue here is clearly NZ government making teams hotel isolate for no reason. NSW hasn’t recorded a community transmission in 3 days. All the Aus players and staff have been in a bubble for months, there hasn’t been a single positive case not just in their sport but ANY of the professional sports currently going on. They’re getting tested regularly and obviously right before they get on a plane to NZ.

It’s actually outrageous that NZ has the Wallabies quarantining for 4 days in a hotel. Aus should’ve told them to fuck off. Especially as it’s not a requirement here.

Don’t blame SANZAAR. Blame your stupid government.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The issue here is clearly NZ government making teams hotel isolate for no reason. NSW hasn’t recorded a community transmission in 3 days. All the Aus players and staff have been in a bubble for months, there hasn’t been a single positive case not just in their sport but ANY of the professional sports currently going on. They’re getting tested regularly and obviously right before they get on a plane to NZ.

It’s actually outrageous that NZ has the Wallabies quarantining for 4 days in a hotel. Aus should’ve told them to fuck off. Especially as it’s not a requirement here.

Don’t blame SANZAAR. Blame your stupid government.

Stupid government? For trying to do what they think is right to keep country as safe as they can? Similar to what I say when Qld govt gets shit for keeping borders shut, and what we have seen in Victoria, play it bloody safe! Same as ABs coming here, they have to be in a bubble don't they? They have not been in a complete bubble, I heard a couple of Reds players saying on radio last week they have been home at night. AFL may of been in bubble here in Qld, haven't heard about league but rugby players here in Qld haven't been in this so called bubble you speak of.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The risk of the All Blacks coming back to NZ and ordinary citizen is not the same at all. That's why the government is being inept. There's no reason to treat everyone the same. I do not know if it's daily but everyone gets tested regularly and are in strict bubble protocols. NRL players and coaches were stood down for 14 days for visiting a cafe etc.

Let me reiterate.

Not a single positive case has been detected in NRL, AFL, Rugby or A-league. Or the women's leagues. That's significant no?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The risk of the All Blacks coming back to NZ and ordinary citizen is not the same at all. That's why the government is being inept. There's no reason to treat everyone the same. I do not know if it's daily but everyone gets tested regularly and are in strict bubble protocols. NRL players and coaches were stood down for 14 days for visiting a cafe etc.

Let me reiterate.

Not a single positive case has been detected in NRL, AFL, Rugby or A-league. Or the women's leagues. That's significant no?

No not significant really.They all domestic teams. You do realise they will be playing against teams with players coming from Covid hotspots like Englanf ,SA etc etc don't you? But yes you right, as Robinson says they will talk to government about the ABs coming back early if they stay in bubble. The government would be inept if they didn't make sure all the I's were dotted and T's crossed before making exceptions to rules.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But those players will be tested and only given the clear on playing once they have passed however many days it is. Once in Aus they’re not going to get Covid are they?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Would hope not mate, hopefully everyone will behave etc and do things right, but I just think we should all be a bit careful, and as you can see with parts of world I don't think we should be critical of any Government etc that choses to maintain strict vigilance to do what they can to protect their citizens.

Perhaps my thoughts are coloured also by I don't really agree with comp going as I don't believe it has integrity with the chance that SA and Argentina are probably not going to be completely match fit for Test rugby. Note I understand the money reasons all the same and why it is happening.

Jaguardo

Peter Burge (5)
Michael Cheika to advise Los Pumas in the 2020 Rugby Championship

Thursday September 24, 2020

Still without a confirmed date, the Pumas will travel to Australia to play the 2020 Personal Rugby Championship, which for the first time in history will be a single venue from November 7 to December 12. On Australian soil, former Wallabies Head Coach Michael Cheika will join the staff as an external advisor during the competition.

The new addition will assist the team led by Mario Ledesma in the preparation of the tournament and the matches. The current Head Coach of the Pumas was Cheika's assistant for over three years and together they were champions of the 2015 Personal Rugby Championship and finalists of the World Cup with Australia.

Statements by Mario Ledesma, Los Pumas Head Coach
"With Michael (Cheika) we started talking at the beginning of the year. I suggested the idea of working together again and he was immediately interested. We agreed from the very beginning. I noticed that he was very enthusiastic. He always liked Argentinean rugby very much.

"He is a person who can bring a lot of experience to both the group of players and the staff. So was the incorporation of "El Tano" (Marcelo Loffreda), in the first days of August. Without a doubt, it is an excellent opportunity to continue learning because he is a person who thinks a lot of things out of the box, who has an innovative and super creative vision, different from many coaches that I could meet".

"Besides, when the championship was confirmed in Australia, we could talk and listen to his recommendations about places to train, schedules and even issues related to the weather".

"On the other hand, we have already been holding several talks with him and all the staff, about game issues, defense, attack, types of exercises, individual techniques and so on. So that exchange was spectacular".

Source: UAR

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Man - everyone is over-complicating it all. Either the NZ restrictions are eased as WOB alluded to, allowing full training from day 1, or the Wallabies won't be able to train for several days. Therefore - the Wallabies will have less prep time.

Can hardly blame Rennie for not wanting to take on the bestest team in all the world on their own turf with insufficient prep - particularly as they will be his first two games. I'd be leaning hard on the NZRU to shift the dates as well.

Edit: the game could also be midweek - who says it has to be on the weekend? particularly if there aren't going to be crowds.

I think something to keep in mind is I'm sure NZR would want the Wallabies to have as much prep as possible too. They want competitive international games not undercooked competition.

Jaguardo

Peter Burge (5)
After receiving the epidemiological and cardiological discharge in Buenos Aires, Julián Montoya, Sebastián Cancelliere and Domingo Miotti are already training with the staff. The players traveled yesterday to Uruguay, after testing negative in a new PCR test.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Seems NZR turned down the exact same request from RA for the exact sams reason when it was to be held in NZ.

Both these Unions are so badly run.
I appreciate having players quarantine on Xmas day not ideal but these are unusual times and given SA and Argentina voted against the change this means only option is to proceed with games on December 12 or not. Given perilous state of the unions I do believe it is time for NZRU to suck it up. And if shoe was on the other foot I would say the same. Big money to be lost from broadcasters if this does not go ahead so time to look at bigger picture. And by the way remember RA voted with NZRU for change of dates so we are not the enemy here. Thought Wayne smiths article actually summed things up well here.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I still think they will come up with either ABs will do some special quarantine on last week and cut quarantine day by a couple of days, or they will maybe let the young fathers go home early, and give the Wallabies an easy game?
But you right RN, there no way either team will default or anything, both parties need the cash, RA got no money and NZR wouldn't want to dip into there reserves anymore than can be helped. A lot is just paper talk like the rubbish when Rennie said the Wallabies wouldn't play first Bledisloe cup game. Just a bit making sure they in papers on both sides?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I still think they will come up with either ABs will do some special quarantine on last week and cut quarantine day by a couple of days, or they will maybe let the young fathers go home early, and give the Wallabies an easy game?
But you right RN, there no way either team will default or anything, both parties need the cash, RA got no money and NZR wouldn't want to dip into there reserves anymore than can be helped. A lot is just paper talk like the rubbish when Rennie said the Wallabies wouldn't play first Bledisloe cup game. Just a bit making sure they in papers on both sides?
Correct - too much too lose now can’t shift game back. As you say if want to let couple of players to return home earlier they can as will be big squads...and let’s face it all blacks would still be favourites to win given depth.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
No not significant really.They all domestic teams. You do realise they will be playing against teams with players coming from Covid hotspots like Englanf ,SA etc etc don't you? But yes you right, as Robinson says they will talk to government about the ABs coming back early if they stay in bubble. The government would be inept if they didn't make sure all the I's were dotted and T's crossed before making exceptions to rules.

It’s massively different!
Those players will arrive in Australia 8 weeks prior to the kiwis returning home, and they’ll be in a COVID bubble for the duration of the tournament of 8 weeks undoubtedly getting tested regularly throughout. If the Kiwi government can’t see the risk mitigation there then that’s pretty shortsighted and inflexible.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I heard today that they are hoping to open the TT borders by type end of the year. As a first port of call, my guess would be they reduce the quarantine period to somewhere between 3 and 10 days, on or around December 12th.