• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
KOB, the report I heard was that Aus was hoping to open the border before Christmas, but that the other way would be entirely up to the NZ government to decide. I read into that that there hadn't yet been any discussions between the two governments about coordinating any action.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I heard today that they are hoping to open the TT borders by type end of the year. As a first port of call, my guess would be they reduce the quarantine period to somewhere between 3 and 10 days, on or around December 12th.

I heard that on news too KOB, and would hope that does happen ( and not just for rugby's sake), and so all may just not be probelm.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It’s massively different!
Those players will arrive in Australia 8 weeks prior to the kiwis returning home, and they’ll be in a COVID bubble for the duration of the tournament of 8 weeks undoubtedly getting tested regularly throughout. If the Kiwi government can’t see the risk mitigation there then that’s pretty shortsighted and inflexible.

Or trying not to be seen as making exceptions for some and not others which I think is probably the case. But as KOB pointed out maybe a relaxation by then anyway. Anyway it mainly been paper talk about players etc going early or not going etc, haven't heard it from any players so.........

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
KOB, the report I heard was that Aus was hoping to open the border before Christmas, but that the other way would be entirely up to the NZ government to decide. I read into that that there hadn't yet been any discussions between the two governments about coordinating any action.

Aus borders won't be open by then , I get impression that just Morrison's way of holding a stick over states to open their borders to all states or he won't allow it. And can't see Victoria being allowed to travel interstate to all places before Xmas.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It’s massively different!
Those players will arrive in Australia 8 weeks prior to the kiwis returning home, and they’ll be in a COVID bubble for the duration of the tournament of 8 weeks undoubtedly getting tested regularly throughout. If the Kiwi government can’t see the risk mitigation there then that’s pretty shortsighted and inflexible.

Yep but even in a bubble like it or not Australia is seen as still having community spread at moment, so I guess it means a little extra care needs to be taken?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yep but even in a bubble like it or not Australia is seen as still having community spread at moment, so I guess it means a little extra care needs to be taken?

Nah. The players won’t be out in the community, they’ll be in a quarantined environment.
There hasn’t been a single case of covid in the AFL, Super Rugby AU or NRL bubbles, and the rugby championship will be hosted under the same guidelines.

A little extra care maybe, however like I said, if the NZ govt can’t see the risk mitigation measures plemented and include that in their assessment, then it’s simply short sighted. It’s the same short sighted attitude which lost them the rugby championship to start with.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think I should put some things in perspective here.

The SA public is literally "gatvol" of COVID restrictions. Think we had like 3 infections before we went into lockdown. We were not allowed to drink or smoke in that time. We're literally rebelling as a nation.

Most people I know don't give a f anymore if we get COVID or not. We're just sick of tyranny.

So for us any rugby played is something from heaven.

We are not sick. Our population is not sick. Some people are and were sick.

I can't walk in the fekking street without a mask but I can sit in a restaurant without a mask.

Shit like that.

Please we just want some rugby.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think I should put some things in perspective here.

The SA public is literally "gatvol" of COVID restrictions. Think we had like 3 infections before we went into lockdown. We were not allowed to drink or smoke in that time. We're literally rebelling as a nation.

Most people I know don't give a f anymore if we get COVID or not. We're just sick of tyranny.

So for us any rugby played is something from heaven.

We are not sick. Our population is not sick. Some people are and were sick.

I can't walk in the fekking street without a mask but I can sit in a restaurant without a mask.

Shit like that.

Please we just want some rugby.

Without commenting on the restrictions, this is why i actually think going ahead is quite important. People need entertainment and distraction now more than ever.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Perhaps we need perspective too, just listening to Rob Nichols, NZR players association, and when asked if he thought there maybe someway of shortening players quarantine coming home, he said maybe, he didn't think so, as he said how much do you bend rules for a game of rugby if country has a health plan.
Interesting to hear him say also that the RC was going to be played 6 games over 5 weeks so Wallabies etc could get home and the final game was on 5th Dec, originally everyone forgot about Xmas day, but the last draw definitely was Dec 5th.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Not sure how true this report is, but if true glad someone is thinking.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...uncertain-participants-for-rugby-championship

Don't get me wrong, I want the Bokke part of the RC this year, but would prefer they were all properly Test fit to give the RC integrity.

I found the comments about the science of needing 5-6 games for welfare reasons interesting. I wonder if that actually holds up. I mean just based on logic it doesn't run true for me as there will be 5-6 games where you have had less than 5-6 games? I've always had the sneaking suspicion that amount of game time actually isn't as critical to player welfare/prep as is made out. We're seeing the AllBlacks and teams like Ireland & Wales with players like Johnny Sexton & Alun Wyn Jones put players on ice a lot more.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I found the comments about the science of needing 5-6 games for welfare reasons. I wonder if that actually holds up. I mean just based on logic it doesn't run true for me as there will be 5-6 games where you have had less than 5-6 games? I've always had the sneaking suspicion that amount of game time actually isn't as critical to player welfare/prep as is made out. We're seeing the AllBlacks and teams like Ireland & Wales with players like Johnny Sexton & Alun Wyn Jones put players on ice a lot more.

Probably somewhat different to being locked in a house for months.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I found the comments about the science of needing 5-6 games for welfare reasons interesting. I wonder if that actually holds up. I mean just based on logic it doesn't run true for me as there will be 5-6 games where you have had less than 5-6 games? I've always had the sneaking suspicion that amount of game time actually isn't as critical to player welfare/prep as is made out. We're seeing the AllBlacks and teams like Ireland & Wales with players like Johnny Sexton & Alun Wyn Jones put players on ice a lot more.

On ice. In rehab. With ten dieticians. phyions, trainers, doctors around them. Still training at facilities in a system.

Not locked up in your lounge room in front of the tele. And they are never on ice for that long.

I believe the 5 to 6 game theory 100% Test rugby physicality is insane. You don't get to that level of fitness in training alone.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/springbok-coaches-raise-rugby-champs-concerns/

I reckon it's looking 50/50 at this stage. The logistics of all this might kill off the Boks' participation. Add to that the likelihood that some ANC politician will use the opportunity to score some political points by meddling in the decision top allow them to leave.

Seems almost impossible to get the European Boks involved. After quarantine they will almost have not time to train so what is the point in bringing them over at all?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Perhaps we need perspective too, just listening to Rob Nichols, NZR players association, and when asked if he thought there maybe someway of shortening players quarantine coming home, he said maybe, he didn't think so, as he said how much do you bend rules for a game of rugby if country has a health plan.
Interesting to hear him say also that the RC was going to be played 6 games over 5 weeks so Wallabies etc could get home and the final game was on 5th Dec, originally everyone forgot about Xmas day, but the last draw definitely was Dec 5th.

Somewhere, someone is going to have to compromise. If it means the NZ players see their families on the 26 and not 25th then as much as I feel sorry for them it is not the end of the world.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/springbok-coaches-raise-rugby-champs-concerns/

I reckon it's looking 50/50 at this stage. The logistics of all this might kill off the Boks' participation. Add to that the likelihood that some ANC politician will use the opportunity to score some political points by meddling in the decision top allow them to leave.

Seems almost impossible to get the European Boks involved. After quarantine they will almost have not time to train so what is the point in bringing them over at all?

Aren't the European Boks the only one's that will be match fit? Agree that the logistics seem impossible due to clubs unwillingness to play ball (as per usual).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

New South Wales does not have community spread. Zilch. Queensland did in the last week but nailed it down.

Really, everyone meeds to stop the bloody fear mongering.

NSW and Queensland have virus containment measures that is along with NZ the best in the world.

It will be fine. Really. Both countries are in total control except for Victoria that clearly does not trust their own capability to deal with this so they lock down. The death rate is minuscule and we know where the vulnerabilities are.

If by 12 December NSW is in the state it is right now, NZ will be in a perfect position to tell the ABs they can go home and self isolate with their families and send someone around every couple pf days to test the whole mob.

About time authorities start dealing with this more intelligently than the same blunt instrument for everything all the time.

Be a bit smart. There's a thought.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Aren't the European Boks the only one's that will be match fit? Agree that the logistics seem impossible due to clubs unwillingness to play ball (as per usual).

Yes but the likes of the Sale players will be in Finals and their clubs are kicking their heels in and won't release them on 24 October.

A few players like Kolbe and Koch should make it to Aus by the end of October. It is very unclear at the moment.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
New South Wales does not have community spread. Zilch. Queensland did in the last week but nailed it down.

Be a bit smart. There's a thought.

you do realise that NSW and Qld aren't countries and there is community spread still in Australia don't you? And Scott Morrison has been on TV countless times saying it's either all states can travel or there be no travel bubble.
I agree seems over the top, but I not a medical expert, and if the ones who are say there has to be a quarantine, my credentials aren't of the standard to say I know better. I am prepared to admit yours maybe, but I just have to take their word for it at moment. I don't see anyone wanting to stop tourists etc just for fun.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yes but the likes of the Sale players will be in Finals and their clubs are kicking their heels in and won't release them on 24 October.

A few players like Kolbe and Koch should make it to Aus by the end of October. It is very unclear at the moment.

Are there any in France? I not up to date with where all the Boks are at moment. I hope not Castre had to default a game a week or 2 ago, because they didn't have enough fit players that didn't have Covid.