• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^ set down for November & December but JRFU bailed as they can't run training camps because their coaching staff (Joseph & Brown, possibly others) aren't currently in Japan & can't get in due to Japan's border restrictions.
Could do camps in NZ?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ probably could, just as they could probably do camps in U.K. or France but for whatever reason(s) they're not so I think we can forget about them subbing in for Argentina.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
6N teams: We're hosting an enlarged 6N to generate some more cash!
Georgia:
JQB7k.gif

6N teams: We're inviting Japan and Fiji to join!
Georgia:
tpTZxoX.gif

6N teams: Japan can't make it :(
Georgia:
RewardingUnkemptBarbet-size_restricted.gif

6N teams: We're probably gonna invite South Africa in their stead!
Georgia:
Op2HKAC.gif

UK Tele reports that Japan's place in 8-Nations will be taken by........

........Georgia!

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...ace-japan-in-eight-nations-tournament--report

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Talk this morning that IF the RC goes ahead it will be here, not NZ. However the Aus are elaborating a bit saying that as compensation they might move the first 2 Bledisloes to NZ, meaning that the Wallabies would have to train under strict quarantine protocols for the 2 weeks leading into the game while the All Blacks can just go hard at it with no restrictions at all. That would be an absolutely ludicrous situation considering our players have been living in bubbles for 3 months, what is the point of having the 2 games in NZ anyway if they can't have a crowd? It might not suit their agenda to have all 4 games over here but fuck em if they aren't going to let us train.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Talk this morning that IF the RC goes ahead it will be here, not NZ. However the Aus are elaborating a bit saying that as compensation they might move the first 2 Bledisloes to NZ, meaning that the Wallabies would have to train under strict quarantine protocols for the 2 weeks leading into the game while the All Blacks can just go hard at it with no restrictions at all. That would be an absolutely ludicrous situation considering our players have been living in bubbles for 3 months, what is the point of having the 2 games in NZ anyway if they can't have a crowd? It might not suit their agenda to have all 4 games over here but fuck em if they aren't going to let us train.

Geez you whinge, so you want ABs, SA and Argos to come here and train under strict quarantine, but feel Wallabies can't? you amaze me, I thought you were better than that KOB. I don't think RC will happen, but if it was in Nov/Dec probably be in front of crowds in NZ, I imagine they be back to level 1 by then.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Be pretty weird not to have two games in either country.

So many shenanigans goin on with all this Covid shit - with people trying really hard to avoid simple solutions.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Geez you whinge, so you want ABs, SA and Argos to come here and train under strict quarantine, but feel Wallabies can't? you amaze me, I thought you were better than that KOB. I don't think RC will happen, but if it was in Nov/Dec probably be in front of crowds in NZ, I imagine they be back to level 1 by then.

I don't think it will happen either, but just to clarify, it isn't the actual quarantine that's the issue, it's the way they'd be required to train, as per below. This would be for all squads not just the Wallabies if it were to be held in NZ, but the difference here is it's just for the Beldisloe and that the Wallabies wouldn't be able to train properly. Why not just let them go at it amongst themselves but with no contact to the outside world? If it were in Australia both teams would be treated the same, why shouldn't it be fair like that? It's worthy of a whinge for mine, you would too if it was reversed.

"If the opening two Bledisloes do take place in New Zealand, the Wallabies will be forced to go into quarantine for two weeks, after leaving the day after the September 19 Super Rugby AU final. It is hardly ideal timing, robbing the grand final sides of their traditional “Mad Monday”, but it will mean the Wallabies squeeze in more training time before taking on the All Blacks.
Under NZ Government regulations, the first four days are spent in virtual isolation with players effectively locked into their hotel rooms. After that, there is a staged release. Initially, players would only be able to gather in small groups, then groups of 10 and only towards the end of the quarantine period would they be free to train as a team.
Meanwhile, the All Blacks would be able to train every day without restriction.
Under the existing arrangements, the Wallabies and All Blacks would both go into a bubble in preparation for the October Tests in southeast Queensland, the Wallabies at Sanctuary Cove, the All Blacks likely to be based at Noosa. It is an even-handed solution."

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Should be Bledisloe only.

Boks will be too undercooked. It's a zero sum game for us.

All the SA based players returned to contact training last week only. The European based players have had 2 weeks of rugby.

SA domestic season only starting (perhaps) in November.

Japan based players have not even trained (Marx, Mostert, Thor, Willie, Mapimpi etc)

Top 3 locks are down with injury: De Jager, Snyman, Etsebeth. The replacement are mostly rookies who have not even trained with contact since March. Most experienced lock in Japan (Mostert) and has not trained or played.

Talk is that SA will bring a completely experimental squad if the bubble happens

I stand to be corrected but of the RWC 23 only these players are in an active comp right now:

Kolbe
De Allende
Pollard
Faf D
Koch

Everyone else in SA, Japan or injured (one retirement only)

Two months out from a test series?

Meh, no thanks.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I don't think it will happen either, but just to clarify, it isn't the actual quarantine that's the issue, it's the way they'd be required to train, as per below. This would be for all squads not just the Wallabies if it were to be held in NZ, but the difference here is it's just for the Beldisloe and that the Wallabies wouldn't be able to train properly. Why not just let them go at it amongst themselves but with no contact to the outside world? If it were in Australia both teams would be treated the same, why shouldn't it be fair like that? It's worthy of a whinge for mine, you would too if it was reversed.

"If the opening two Bledisloes do take place in New Zealand, the Wallabies will be forced to go into quarantine for two weeks, after leaving the day after the September 19 Super Rugby AU final. It is hardly ideal timing, robbing the grand final sides of their traditional “Mad Monday”, but it will mean the Wallabies squeeze in more training time before taking on the All Blacks.
Under NZ Government regulations, the first four days are spent in virtual isolation with players effectively locked into their hotel rooms. After that, there is a staged release. Initially, players would only be able to gather in small groups, then groups of 10 and only towards the end of the quarantine period would they be free to train as a team.
Meanwhile, the All Blacks would be able to train every day without restriction.
Under the existing arrangements, the Wallabies and All Blacks would both go into a bubble in preparation for the October Tests in southeast Queensland, the Wallabies at Sanctuary Cove, the All Blacks likely to be based at Noosa. It is an even-handed solution."

Sorry mate, but I was under the impression that the October tests were in Aus (well according to Aus papers) and the later ones in NZ? And if it is done that way, ABs have to go through exactly same procedures as Wallabies when they go back to NZ. So why say get fucked NZ , and what is wrong with that scenario? Mate I seeing both teams go through the same things or not at all, I agree with that.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mayor of Queenstown was on TV news recently explaining how they could set up the exact type of bubble(s) being mooted for SEQ/ NSWCC where the usual isolation could thereby be bypassed, all it would need is for the DG of Health to sign off on it & Cabinet to give it the official stamp of approval. It's been done re: Am Cup so I don't really see why it would place Wobs, Pumas or bokke at any disadvantage to AB prep-wise.

Anyhow, apparently SANZAAR are doing a teleconference tomorrow night to finalise what's going to happen so hopefully by Friday it'll be public knowledge & everyone can get on with their respective prep.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good article from Sumo on the topic:

https://t.co/jBt0b8xC2q
This is a great read for anyone bothered to understand the difference between quarantine in both countries and why Aus is looking considerably more likely and why the first Bledisloe needs to be played here.

NZ rugby has been amazing for the game world wide but they need to take a good hard look at themselves over the last couple of months.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sorry mate, but I was under the impression that the October tests were in Aus (well according to Aus papers) and the later ones in NZ? And if it is done that way, ABs have to go through exactly same procedures as Wallabies when they go back to NZ. So why say get fucked NZ , and what is wrong with that scenario? Mate I seeing both teams go through the same things or not at all, I agree with that.
Well, based on the article above it's not the exact same process at all. Seems the Wobs won't be able to train in NZ but NZ would be able to train here.

That said, i personally don't see why things like Rugby shouldn't be given special consideration. People need entertainment and distraction now more than ever.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
NZR doesn't set quarantine rules; that would be the government. Regardless, as WOB has also painted out, exceptions can be, and are, made.

It's all very academic anyway as there would surely be next to no chance of a RC this year. So they'll, instead, just have a four match Bledisloe series with the first two tests in Australia and the two NZ ones after, as has already been mooted here. That way both sides will be punished if there are no exemptions at the NZ border.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well, based on the article above it's not the exact same process at all. Seems the Wobs won't be able to train in NZ but NZ would be able to train here.

Derp I think what Dan is trying to say is if we played in Australia first, both teams would travel to NZ at the same time and thus be subject to the same quarantine rules.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Derp I think what Dan is trying to say is if we played in Australia first, both teams would travel to NZ at the same time and thus be subject to the same quarantine rules.

Oh yeah, makes sense. Not what is being proposed though.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Oh yeah, makes sense. Not what is being proposed though.

Proposed by who?? I don't think there are any proposals to even be discussed until after zoom meeting on Thursday. According to his write up there only going to be one Bledisloe?? Really fellas calm down, if there was a game so called test in NZ on Oct 10th why are the ABs playing in Mitre 10 cup opening rounds?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Proposed by who?? I don't think there are any proposals to even be discussed until after zoom meeting on Thursday. According to his write up there only going to be one Bledisloe?? Really fellas calm down, if there was a game so called test in NZ on Oct 10th why are the ABs playing in Mitre 10 cup opening rounds?
Well the thing being said by the people was that NZ propose to have all of the Bleds in NZ, while others are suggesting the RC will be held entirely in Aus.

And, yeah, the mature thing to do is wait until a formal announcement. But that would also make these boards entirely redundant as they are for speculation and discussion.