• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby in WA from 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Killer respect for a lot of your posts but history is history and the argument is starting to paint us in a bad way. We all know what dirty shit went down and now its time to embrace the change in the IPRC and keep an eye from the sidelines and watch em come asking for help when the shit hits the fan in a few years time. Karma can be a harsh little bitch.

I understand your argument but don't agree with it ref to what they think of us. There are few here who actually care about WA rugby and even less who know about it. Being concerned about what they think of us does not register on my radar. If they want to make comments on a WA rugby thread and if I have the time I will reply and correct them. It irks me how we were thrown under the bus by so called rugby people but am well past being angry. It is more like sport. I am fully behind the IPR and most of my comments are in support of it replying to comments that are clearly wrong and biased. I agree that in reality, even though we are not in Super Rugby, we are the strongest Union and have a very secure future. If this was not the case I would not bother commenting on this site. Good on you too for supporting WA Rugby.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Chibimatty

Further to our conversation on the previous page pertaining to the AFL and swamping of the media coverage and it’s kinda all bow before the great AFL gods.

Back in March this year I attended in Sydney a 3 day tax seminar.

Most of the people attending where obviously from Sydney and some from the Central coast like myself.

There was included in people attending four Melbourne folk who had decided to make a 7 day holiday in Sydney around the 3 day tax thing.

On the second day at lunch I was talking to some league and soccer fans and we were discussing how Graham Arnold the SFC coach used to call on league coaches and sometimes union coaches to exchange ideas. As lunch wondered on we then got to chatting about teams in both codes.

The Melbourne boys found it impossible not to come over and ask us why we were talking about soccer as it was not a real game, and league people were all louts on drugs who beat their wife’s.

We tried to ignore them but they kept on and on and on. Anywho they kept going on about some Swans player who when he kicked a ball could make it bend and that we should go and see him.

The soccer guys could not stop laughing and said we had a player called Beckham and they made a movie about him bending the ball.

So it kept going until one of the league blokes said you can’t seriously compare the ability of AFL players to bend balls like soccer players.

The reply astounded us and we laughed and laughed and laughed which made them mad because we did not believe them. They actually said and seemed to believe that most AFL players could walk into any team sport in the world and be a star.

How you put up with it is amazing.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
"The only bit that scares me is the "may require certain further steps to protect our position" with regards to RugbyAU chasing money. I have no idea how finances/legal things work but all I can think of is declaring bankruptcy or going into administration - anyone got any other ideas that sound less scary?"

Ref your above, the ARU, as much as they are morally corrupt, even they would not try to recoup those losses. The last thing they want is more dirt coming out about how they have paid off debts for Vic Rugby, ACT and recently Qld and yet they are still chasing WA for a smaller amount.
They are just seeing if we will pay up as they are nearly broke and desperate.
No the ARU are chasing them for legal costs billy p said.. Dog act

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
How you put up with it is amazing.
Good point, especially as an old rusted-on fan of cricket in this once-mighty State; every year we have to put up with the barbs from the AFL crew as to how the WACA is a waste of real estate and all cricket should have been moved to Subiaco Oval, where they'll get some money directly in to footy's coffers. One of the things I've always found ironic/moronic, is that they never seem to use that real estate argument concerning the WAFL State league footy ovals which should all be demolished as they are under-utilised. We're talking about some prime real estate around Perth, which in turn would rationalise the league into a couple of major stadia. But no, for some reason it's WA's only internationally known stadium, the only major one owned by it's own sport, the WACA, that they are desperate to get rid of. Also of interest, is the ongoing petulant saga they had of refusing to play at the new Perth Stadium because they didn't get the rights to administer it. One only has to read the reactions of the plebs over here to the fact that the NRL was to hold a double-header at the new stadium before an AFL match. It was worse than the Syrians trying to get the world cup qualifier result changed!
I think one of the things that a lot of the eastern-States rugby people didn't know, is that there is a concerted effort to get rid of any competing code here in Western Australia, it's the main reason why we haven't had a stadium built for rectangular sport in the 25 years since the Perth Kangaroos, Western Reds and Perth Glory's inception. The answer has always been that we can play at the old 1962 British Empire and Commonwealth Games athletics stadium at Perry Lakes, and to move the bigger games to Subiaco. There is an inherent difference in Perth, concerning the same pro-AFL resistance, and it's this: at the very least, Melbourne still believes it has a right to big events and it's right to be higher on the pecking order as one of Australia's prime cities. So, even if the Storm or Rebels or soccer meets resistance in the AFL-press, Melbournians still believe they have a right to bid for State-of-Origins, Wallaby tests, Socceroo qualifiers, etc, and rightfully so. They also believe, that they should always be the obvious choice and port of call for any franchise. So, regardless of the resistance from the press or public, their forward-thinking government will do anything they can to keep events and franchises in their city. WA on the other hand, with Aussie Rules entrenched in the government, won't see it that way. I've heard the argument against this from pro-government people here, but the fact is, it took the impetus from Perth Glory's owner, Nick Tana to redevelop the old Perth Oval East Perth FC ground into NIB Stadium; and apparently after waiting so many years, we should be grateful to our government for granting us such a magnificent bounty - ramshackle old footy oval with the cheapest possible stand bunged on to one side of the ground which isn't up to test match standard and has bugger all corporate facilities. But hey, as the AFL people have told me to my face, "It's rectangular, you should be happy, what are you complaining about. Perth isn't a rugby town anyway." etc, etc, etc...

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Chibimatty

I feel your pain and am so glad I don't live in an AFL town.

I do wonder aloud at times at the non reporting by the media of other sports achievements.

I recall sometime around 2007 to 2009, the Socceroos played both Japan & China in a fairly short space of time. In both countries both matches were at the time the most watched broadcasts events in the history of Japan & China. The Australian media totally ignored it and I have a client who has a small media company and is in almost daily contact with all the FTA networks and he is a hard core rusted on soccer bloke and he said its not that it was unknown nor many folk wanting to report it was deliberately written out. SBS reported it but who listens..

On the Central Coast the AFL pays for five ovals and a few school ovals. Two years ago their player numbers fell so low like to around 220 players they had to merge with Newcastle / Hunter. Yet they still have the same number of well kept ovals while rugby / league / soccer pitches are almost over used.

Our local radio stations are part of national networks with national contracts and we hear a Perth AFL player has cut his fingernail and local sport is often ignored.

We simply ignore it how you put up with it ?????1!!!!! I have no idea.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Chibimatty

I feel your pain and am so glad I don't live in an AFL town.

I do wonder aloud at times at the non reporting by the media of other sports achievements.

I recall sometime around 2007 to 2009, the Socceroos played both Japan & China in a fairly short space of time. In both countries both matches were at the time the most watched broadcasts events in the history of Japan & China. The Australian media totally ignored it and I have a client who has a small media company and is in almost daily contact with all the FTA networks and he is a hard core rusted on soccer bloke and he said its not that it was unknown nor many folk wanting to report it was deliberately written out. SBS reported it but who listens..

In Sydney maybe, but in Melbourne soccer is the next best represented football code (by far) after the AFL.

The game is extremely popular, and the A-League and the Socceroos get plenty of press coverage, particularly on the FTA networks.

It's just the rugby codes they don't care about down here.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^

Sim

You are spot on even in Sydney soccer gets heaps of coverage.

Rugby is or has become the poor after throught cousin.

Also so stereotyped well in Sydney anyway from my experience. That same trip to Perth I was talking about while waiting in the departure area I got talking to some random people [something my wifes hates i just start up conversations ] anywho I said I was going to Perth and we got talking about sport and the conversation when something like this

Do you follow league and what team . me no really but Manly if I have to pick.
AFL then. me no
Soccer. Me no
What do you follow then . me rugby and a soccer a bit or the wife would leave....Answer you must have gone to a private school.

People outside rugby in Sydney think those that follow are a bunch of elite tossers.

Roy Masters even wrote a famous article after an AB test at Homebush when he said no one caught the train west they all caught the train east. Those media things just get up my nose.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Funny, just watching the report on the news about the RL World Cup presentation in the centre of Perth today, leading up to the double-header this Sunday. First words the on-site reporter say are "even though Perth isn't a LEAGUE town..."

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's just been announced that RugbyWA have gone into voluntary administration.

Can only assume it has something to do with the ARU continuing to presue legal fees.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
It's just been announced that RugbyWA have gone into voluntary administration.

Can only assume it has something to do with the ARU continuing to presue legal fees.
They did suggest something was coming. The questions is what does it mean. Corporations law gurus

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
They did suggest something was coming. The questions is what does it mean. Corporations law gurus

The directors are required to because they don't believe they can meet their debts (i.e. are insolvent or about to become insolvent). So legally they need to do it but it also puts them in a position whereby Rugby Australia as presumably the major creditor either does a deal or pushes to wind them up. Clearly there would be the hope that RA are sensible and do a deal.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
RA will most likely want then wound up as Rugby WA has significant liabilities and RA don't want to take a chance they may be liable for any debts somehow.

Being really cynical it's also away of ridding themselves of a pest. It gives them control of their obligations in WA to keep the sport going and control over assets. Also keeps the Force IP rights from being handed back.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
According to reports Rugby WA offered to settle for $500K (debt is $1m) and RA rejected it

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Letter from RugbyWA via my club today (emails and phone numbers removed)

Dear Rugby Community Supporter,

Please find attached a letter from the Rugby WA Board that details the recent decision to place Rugby WA into Voluntary Administration.

Also attached is a letter from the RWA Juniors Executive.

In simple terms this does not spell any end to Rugby in WA. While the situation is challenging, the Administration process is focussed on maintaining our operations while we resolve the debt issues noted in the letter. Please rest assured that the Board and the Community Rugby team here will continue to work hard in providing support to all levels of the Rugby Community now and into the future.

It is planned to have an open Club forum on Tuesday evening 21 November commencing at 1830 at RWA. Key RWA Board members will be in attendance, with the purpose to outline this situation, but more importantly to offer an insight into the planned direction forward.

If you have specific queries then please feel free to contact me.

Regards Bob

Bob Hunter is the CEO of RugbyWA
RugyWA Press Release

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5231e...mail&utm_term=0_d9b24218c0-54b548b293-9770983

Letter from the RugbyWA Juniors (stand alone entity)

https://gallery.mailchimp.com/5231e...mail&utm_term=0_d9b24218c0-54b548b293-9770983

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I have some questions (and answers)
Who is the accounting firm that is the administrator just appointed to RugbyWA?
Korda Mentha
Who is both a director of MRRU and VRU and a partner at Korda Mentha?
Owain Stone
Conflict??

Status
Not open for further replies.