• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League bans the shoulder charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I'm pretty sure shoulder charges and fights are the things that make the game so unique, so when being in a modern world it is now dangerous when shoulder charges account for only 1 percent of overall seasonal injuries in the NRL.
I'll take an opportunity to reduce injury by 1% any day.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
post 20 joshbristow. Despite how ever many years $BW has been away from mungoland, it is interesting to see how many times he featured in the "Best Years of Shoulder charges" highlights reel.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Looking at that "highlights" video doesn't make me lament the death of the shoulder charge in any way. That type of tackle unnecessarily raises the risk of a head and/or neck injury. I fail to see how running into a bloke with your shoulder makes you any tougher. A ball and all tackle of a 120kg prop forward running at you takes a lot more courage.

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
I think the only thing I'll miss is how when used correctly a well timed shoulder charge could level the playing field in regards to size and weight, think Chris Sandow, Cameron Smith or that beautiful Lance Hohaia hit on Petrol Seventycentsalitre.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
They could ban contact altogether and reduce the risk by probably 98%

Yeah, what he said.

As a South African, I had zero exposure to rugby league growing up. I saw it for the first time on TV when I came to the UK. I watch it now and then, I don't love it, and I don't hate it. The shoulder charges surprised me, but even more surprising was how they didn't result in injuries, as I'd been led to expect they would in rugby union.

So, some of you seem pleased that the shoulder charge has been banned. I'm curious why? Surely if it's been in the game for this long it wasn't a chronic source of injury? So why ban it? I ask exactly the same question about RUs decision to ban rucking.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yeah, what he said.

As a South African, I had zero exposure to rugby league growing up. I saw it for the first time on TV when I came to the UK. I watch it now and then, I don't love it, and I don't hate it. The shoulder charges surprised me, but even more surprising was how they didn't result in injuries, as I'd been led to expect they would in rugby union.

So, some of you seem pleased that the shoulder charge has been banned. I'm curious why? Surely if it's been in the game for this long it wasn't a chronic source of injury? So why ban it? I ask exactly the same question about RUs decision to ban rucking.
Because it causes brain damage that doesn't show up until years later.

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)

Im in the camp of thought that it's high tackles not shoulder tackles that cause all the horrible head injuries, there were just too many unskilled shoulder charges that went wrong this season. Now Money Bill Williams knew how to do it without just throwing his elbow into someone's cheek.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Im in the camp of thought that it's high tackles not shoulder tackles that cause all the horrible head injuries, there were just too many unskilled shoulder charges that went wrong this season. Now Money Bill Williams knew how to do it without just throwing his elbow into someone's cheek.
Maybe you should watch the video again. More than a few of his land on the melon.

Sent using Tapatalk

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)

I'll freely admit to coming from a position of ignorance, and it sounds like this is a pretty widely held view. Is it more scientific than just a 'widely held view'? Have you got links to stats or something?

Otherwise my brain just lumps these sort of things in with the rucking ban, which to me served no real purpose.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
In rugby union spear tackles account for a small number of injuries. But we outlaw them because for everyone 1000 spear tackles a significant number end up with spinal/back injuries (and are out for a few weeks or more), whereas for every 1000 normal tackles, it is pretty rare when one of them results is a serious injury.

With shoulder charges they have the potential to be extremely forceful and as a result, some of them end up seriously injuring some players. It just isn't a good look for any game, and players shouldn't have to walk out there worried that if they run too fast someone might shoulder barge them hard enough to knock them out easily.

joshbristow

Peter Burge (5)
What Sully said. Have a look at that video and note the amount of shots those boys take to the scone. Plenty. Shoulder charges are dangerous and have no place in the code.

I made the video haha :)

I agree though, too many attempted shots did end up on someones chin recently. However I think I would have liked to have seen the NRL trial stricter rules on head high shots before outright banning the charge. I don't think anyone would be sad to see the end of the Inglis,Pritchard or Teo shot's but stuff like this was my jam:

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
What Sully said. Have a look at that video and note the amount of shots those boys take to the scone. Plenty. Shoulder charges are dangerous and have no place in the code.

Yes, that is the general sentiment I'm getting.

However, I'm sorry to keep repeating myself, is there anything more to it besides "it's obvious that shoulder charges cause injury"? My point being (and again I'm just repeating myself), it's been in the game for so long, if it was so dangerous I would have expected it to be banned a long time ago.

I'm particularly interested in the claim that it has long term effects. That sounds like something that's come out of a study. I'd like to see that study.

Status
Not open for further replies.