• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League players who could have/could make the switch

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He's still only 23. Maybe the Rebels should have a crack since the AFL has already built his profile in Victoria...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd play him as a winger, 13 would be way too hard for him in regards to defence. Plus he's a high ball king.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
What a waste of time and money. Blind fred could have seen how it was going to turn out. The AFL doesn't care, it got it's advertising in Sydney's west meanwhile Folau wastes 3 of his best years.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
It's going to take him at least a season to find his 'rugby' legs again. His whole physique has changed. Union would do well to stay clear of him.

Kevinsons

Frank Nicholson (4)
It's going to take him at least a season to find his 'rugby' legs again. His whole physique has changed. Union would do well to stay clear of him.

Izzy is 1.93 tall and 102 kg's. He's probably bigger then all of the Australian outside backs besides maybe Digby (in fact I just checked his profile on GWS website and he is taller and heavier then Nick Cummins), and now he would have to be much fitter then before. I think he would be fantastic in rugby, and should take the normal path via the wing (for the Rebels of coarse) ;).

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Izzy is 1.93 tall and 102 kg's. He's probably bigger then all of the Australian outside backs besides maybe Digby (in fact I just checked his profile on GWS website and he is taller and heavier then Nick Cummins), and now he would have to be much fitter then before. I think he would be fantastic in rugby, and should take the normal path via the wing (for the Rebels of coarse) ;).
Yes he is big, but his game in RL was pretty limited to high ball catch over the try line on the 5th. He'll be comfortable back in RL on the wing.

I would take Cummins over Izzy any day of the week. Cummins has ticker and will go all day giving it everything. Izzy doesn't have that kind of spirit.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
How about Sisa Waqa for an outside back spot. Two Blues Colt, Gordon Grade. Signed by the Brumbies but I believe contract torn up about eligibility, due to meaningless game for Fiji( along with mate Nemani Nadolo).

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
How about Sisa Waqa for an outside back spot. Two Blues Colt, Gordon Grade. Signed by the Brumbies but I believe contract torn up about eligibility, due to meaningless game for Fiji( along with mate Nemani Nadolo).

Do you mean that Nemani also played in a meaningless game for Fiji? If so, I would have thought a Test Match against the Wallabies is not so meaningless.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Although I said above that Union should stay clear of Izzy, I was thinking about him in the 15s game. On reflection perhaps he'd be good for 7s. I think he would prefer the space and pick up the game much quicker. There have always been questions about his stamina but word is that he came on leaps and bounds from a fitness perspective with his time at GWS (but not far enough to be a complete AFL player).

The AFL signing Folau was a coup and a marketing dream, only problem was that he wasn't well suited to the game. In 7s he would adapt much more quickly. He would help elevate the profile of the game of 7s. All League, Union and AFL follows know of him now. Perhaps there is a wealthy rugby benefactor out there that would like to bankroll this option. I wouldn't want a large proportion of ARU money going to him.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
His strength under the high ball, kicking game, and higher fitness achieved through his AFL time would make him an intersting prospect at FB in our game. To my knowledge there's never been a FB that big and it would be an interesting experiment. Apparently leaguies agree with this line of thinking (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-parramatta-eels/story-e6frfgbo-1226509445974)

In REALITY whilst he would be suited physically to 13 his position would be wing because that's where a leaguie can be taught to play quickest and with his asking price you'd want to squeeze dollars out of him fast.

These two points considered, I doubt we'll see him in union and if we did I doubt he'd be wallaby standard unless he was willing to work for it over 3 years. But considering the Tahu fiasco he'd probably be rushed into an international jersey fast.

The only way we'd see him in our code is if he shipped off to France and played for Tonga in the next WC.