• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League really gives me the shits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
it wasn't her advancing if CCTV is to be believed. He approached her did something and she went straight over to some uniformed police who were patrolling the club and made a complaint. They spoke to him and then led him out in handcuffs.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Forget this "affray" and "failure to leave licensed premises" and "disorderly behaviour" legal speak.
We should be able to simply charge him with "Being a Dick".
The general public will understand and support this charge in 30 seconds.

P

Pokinacha

Was watching Loig a few weeks back and there was a scrum that was contested by one team and the ref pulled them up saying 'This is a scrum not a rugby scrum'.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Was watching Loig a few weeks back and there was a scrum that was contested by one team and the ref pulled them up saying 'This is a scrum not a rugby scrum'.

I heard Gorden Tallis on Triple M the other day talking about the hybrid loig-rugby games and how the Wallabies will fare against England RL. He snorted and thought it wouldn't be a contest, and then reminisced at length about the time he played in a sevens tournament years ago when it was still mainly played by amateurs and how his team of loig players crushed everyone.

But -- BUT -- one of the interesting things to see in a hybrid game will be how the league players go once they get across the half-way point and scrums and lineouts come into play. If I were coaching the rugby side, as soon as they got into the rugby territory, I'd be going for those set piece plays at every chance, just to remind league what they're missing, rough them up and score as many points as possible.

P

Pokinacha

Not to mention the rucks. They will soon realise how much easier Loig rucks are to be a part of after a few cleanouts from Palu/Mowen/Horwill/TPN etc.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Matthew Johns has a boy at St Augustines - one of the largest and most famous rugby schools on the Insular Peninsular.

Rebecca Wilson had her boys at Cranbrook - one of the ... They played rugby at that School.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
In any argument with a loig fan about the relative merits of loig v union simply say "Oh sorry, you're talking about the local game, and I was talking about the global game"...they love it and you'll love watching the reaction on their faces.
For me there's room for both games.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Has anyone seen one of the hybrid games -- league in your own half, rugby in the opposition half? If so, are there any youtube videos?

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)

Cheers, that's the first footage I've seen.

Three things stood out for me:
  1. The scrum was fun to watch. One side had flat backs and good body position. The other side bent over and looked like a pack of turtles.
  2. The league forwards looked a little more used to taking the ball into contact and/or were just a bit bigger. But from the footage they showed, it looked like they had to depend on the forwards -- not as much back play as the union side.
  3. Didn't realize that once you crossed into the union half, you only had a minute to score. That doesn't seem like a lot of time, and may dissuade sides from kicking to touch and going for the set piece play, since the time it takes for the set piece might be better used for a few more phases. (Are line-outs allowed?) But I guess that's a gamble; if your set piece is strong enough and you can score from there, it's not that much of a risk.

P

Pokinacha

Is Ray 'Rabbits' Warren as annoying or more annoying than Phil Kearns as a commentator? Discuss

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Is Ray 'Rabbits' Warren as annoying or more annoying than Phil Kearns as a commentator? Discuss

I kind of take Warren as an old man who's sort of beyond hope. Kearns, however, too often comes off like a bag of asshole with a raincloud voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.