• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Apperently it was 13 all at full time so they went to 10 minute Golden points.

Arselickers. a draw is a legitimate result.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Saw the last 20 minutes or so. Was pretty entertaining and the crowd was really into it. Seems like a pretty good foundation for growing support in Sacramento at least. I wonder what sort of crowds the league needs to cover costs. Or at least please the owner enough to keep going.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Saw the last 20 minutes or so. Was pretty entertaining and the crowd was really into it. Seems like a pretty good foundation for growing support in Sacramento at least. I wonder what sort of crowds the league needs to cover costs. Or at least please the owner enough to keep going.

Hoping for an average of 3,000. Which is what they have got so far when you average it out. Though if that's the level of entertainment we see coming from the league they could easily achieve higher.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Heard about 3,700.
Great day for Rugby in the US. Skill level obviously needs some work but there are some big bodies and it's wonderful to see a pathway for some of the college athletes within the US.

Nah, definitely only 2312 at Denver. Very cold conditions kept it below 3,000 for sure. Sacramento had over 3400 from what the stream mentioned. Looked like more but its hard to tell. I wouldn't be surprised to see that figure grow from todays game.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hoping for an average of 3,000. Which is what they have got so far when you average it out. Though if that's the level of entertainment we see coming from the league they could easily achieve higher.

Well that's very achievable.

Interesting that the Ohio team has the most followers on facebook so far given it seemed to be the location that surprised people. Wonder if they'll get the biggest crowds too.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Well that's very achievable.

Interesting that the Ohio team has the most followers on facebook so far given it seemed to be the location that surprised people. Wonder if they'll get the biggest crowds too.

Well the temporary stadium they've erected holds 3500. I reckon they might be able to fill it.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I wanted to check in with people about Pro Rugby in the US. I've been watching highlights and the standard seems pretty high. Particularly, some of the handling out wide has been pretty exceptional (which surprised me a bit - as that kind of skill-level often seems to be the last thing to develop for second-tier teams). Has it generally actually been good rugby or am I just seeing the best bits?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I wanted to check in with people about Pro Rugby in the US. I've been watching highlights and the standard seems pretty high. Particularly, some of the handling out wide has been pretty exceptional (which surprised me a bit - as that kind of skill-level often seems to be the last thing to develop for second-tier teams). Has it generally actually been good rugby or am I just seeing the best bits?

Watching a replay here:

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/04/22/pro-rugby-week-2-watch-denver-vs-san-francisco-live/21349352/

Not region blocked. Go to town!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

The games in the first week were outstanding probably the most fun I've had watching Rugby in a while. Handling a little loose but not too bad. The SD/Sac game yesterday was a little sloppy at times mainly due to both teams really trying to push the pace. Haven't seen the SF/Den game yet. Will be the first one I haven't seen live and will already know the result.

From what I've been told SF struggled at times and will likely bring up the tail this season.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So what sort of crowds did they get in the 2nd week?

Nothing official but SD got between 2500-3500. SF looked like several hundred. Which is both surprising and at the same time not so. There's been a degree of collective dissonance toward the league from the SF Rugby community. Which is odd. Hopefully many can overcome this and actually come out to the games.

Edit: Official count was just over 1600 for the SF game. Better than I thought.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Pro Rugby has been excellent at the online streams. If I log onto Facebook on Monday morning, I'll see a game being streamed live. It's fantastic.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Dreadful use of this Drew Mitchell palming off Shane Williams (??) image to illustrate the tagline.

MitchPalm.JPG

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
(Aimed at those in the know like WCR) How is the Pro Rugby tournament going? Are crowd numbers building or steady?
Was the Americas 6 nations a success - apart from Chile there were no flags so one would hope it was deemed successful. Rugby taking off in the Americas would do wonders for the sport. Rugby games already lack atmosphere - and flares.