• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
PRO Rugby has folded their San Francisco franchise citing lack of access to appropriate facilities. The stadium they used in their 1st season (Boxer Stadium) was to be honest a dump.

Another negative piece of news from the organisation. Also been hearing murmurs about late payments etc. whicj is not good.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Conflict between Unions and Clubs too if the rumours are right.

They grow up so fast.

Those aren't rumours. PRO has even gone as far as to label several clubs as non-cooperative and block players from playing for them. Though with the nixing of the SF Rush at least a couple of them will see those players return.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
PRO Rugby has folded their San Francisco franchise citing lack of access to appropriate facilities. The stadium they used in their 1st season (Boxer Stadium) was to be honest a dump.

Another negative piece of news from the organisation. Also been hearing murmurs about late payments etc. whicj is not good.

Seems like a horse before the cart scenario.

You close a 'professional' sporting team in a iconic city because of stadium issues? Riiiiggght.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Seems like a horse before the cart scenario.

You close a 'professional' sporting team in a iconic city because of stadium issues? Riiiiggght.

Well, it's not like the bloke behind it is short a dollar. He's a lot closer to being a billionaire than any of us are or likely will ever be. But, there has been a lot of talk in the background regarding both late and non-payment of players, staff and facilities.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Could be a negotiating tactic, but a very bold one.

It has been suggested that PRO may be trying to use this move as leverage to extend the timeframe on the sanctioining condition of their target of 'national' competition. Who know's but it fairly high stakes as they run the risk of eroding a lot of the goodwill held toward them.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think Pro Rugby will come back from this, seems they've lost the goodwill they had. It's a shame as a few of the teams showed real promise of developing a fan base.

I think there could be an opportunity for SANZAAR to step in and work with the Canadian and US unions to fill the gap. I think the best way would be to create a'Super Rugby America' competition of say 6 teams with the idea being that in time it'd be integrated into Super Rugby proper once certain commercial and competitiveness criteria are met.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
SANZAAR would have to deal with RIM or UWS instead of USA Rugby in a commercial venture such as a professional competition. USA Rugby as a NGB aren't actually permitted under US law to run or administer professional sporting leagues.

But, I largely agree with you. I have been of the opinion that if SANZAAR want to enter the NA market then they'd have to do it wholesale in the form of a new conference. It doesn't necessarily have to be a financial investment either. Intellectual capital, expertise, branding and player exchange would be invaluable in developing the necessary quality required for them to build viable conferences for inclusion.

Same forSth America. SANZAAR should be looking at doing something very similar. I'd also be talking to Alisports about potential future Super Rugby involvement considering they are looking to establish pro leagues.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think PRO's obsession with ownership and control of IP was good and bad.

If this fails, I'd be interested to see a model with more franchise autonomy, and perhaps including all of North America.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think PRO's obsession with ownership and control of IP was good and bad.

If this fails, I'd be interested to see a model with more franchise autonomy, and perhaps including all of North America.

Back in 2014 USA Rugby ran an Elite City 7s tournament to determine who would go to the World Club 7s that year. Now, while USA Rugby cannot run it their commercial wing RIM can. The beauty of the set up is that it involved 12 centres split east and west.

This would cut down on travel. Teams could play in two 6 team conferences on a home and away schedule. Ten games with top two from each conference proceeding to semi's and final. Later when it is a little more established they can add games against the teams in the pther conference fpr 16 games.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I do agree that the beauty of MORE teams is less travel, though perhaps this means the 'professional' league has to be downgraded to semi-professional because of more contracts.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeah, I do agree that the beauty of MORE teams is less travel, though perhaps this means the 'professional' league has to be downgraded to semi-professional because of more contracts.

At first, yeah, it would be semi-professional. The goal should be to cover all the costs of participating and then look to other means to pay players. Ideally, something very similar to the 'Own the Force' initiative could be used to generate the necessary capital to cover the costs. There does appear to be a market in the US for this kind of venture. It's just a matter of finding the best model to make it happen.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
At first, yeah, it would be semi-professional. The goal should be to cover all the costs of participating and then look to other means to pay players. Ideally, something very similar to the 'Own the Force' initiative could be used to generate the necessary capital to cover the costs. There does appear to be a market in the US for this kind of venture. It's just a matter of finding the best model to make it happen.

They were getting 1000 people to each game for PRO, IDK if you'd generate enough interested to fund teams.

Well, maybe for a year but once the cash dries up you'd go the way of PRO.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
They were getting 1000 people to each game for PRO, IDK if you'd generate enough interested to fund teams.

Well, maybe for a year but once the cash dries up you'd go the way of PRO.

Divising a sustainable financial model will be the trick. From what I can tell it would cost around $2.5m to run the league in terms of travel (using budget flights, accommodation, meals) and ground hire (small venues with 5k seats or so).

As I mentioned above, I wonder if a similar initiative to the 'Own the Force' could work in the US either as a whole league level or individual franchise level. There's also broadcast, could possibly look at a subscription based set up.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The FER (Spanish RU) have secured a broadcast deal for their top line competition the Division De Honor with Eurosport. It will feature a game of the week to start but has scope to expand. Not sure if it will be broadcast across the entirety of the Eurosport network (which is some 30 countries) but nonetheless a step in the right direction.

The first game will be on January 22nd and will feature the Valladolid derby between VRAC and Sliverstorm.

Edit: Turns out Eurosports network spans 59 countries. If they manange to get it broadcast network wide that would be a huge win for the competition. Even if it only goes with the Spanish feed it will have a reach of about 5 million homes which is a little more than 25% of all households in Spain.