• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby - not set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Referees

• It's good to see a good female referee getting a gig refereeing the males. Amy Perrett refereed the Joeys IIs v. Scots IIs game the Saturday before last, the day after she whistled ISA IIs v CHS IIs, then last Friday she refereed CAS Is v. ISA Is. She's a calm, accurate ref and it would be good to see her refereeing Grade.

Commentators

• In the 1st minute of the Norths v Easts match last Saturday Norths 15. Cam Crawford kicked ahead along touch, Norths 11. Zack Holmes chased it and with one foot in touch, took a stride so that he was in the air and kicked the ball further forward, regathered and scored. Brett Papworth was rabbiting on that it was OK if he was in the air but added: “When you're in touch and you kick it, it's out.”

Wrong Brett; if the ball hasn't passed the plane of touch it doesn't matter if the kicker is in the air or on the ground, or in touch or not; it is play on. The ball did not pass the plane - fair try.

Greg Martin in The Rugby Club “If the Crusaders win this and they play in the final somebody will make a movie out of their whole season.” Good call Marto. Maybe not a movie movie but a documentary movie would be a great idea.

Trivia

Like a few of us rugby has odd shaped balls, but why is that so? The Rugby School used to get balls made by a local shoemaker and he hand-stitched leather around a pigs bladder. This resulted in the balls being more of a plum shape and of various sizes because the pigs who once owned the bladders were of different sizes. Another fact: they didn't smell too good after a while.

It wasn't until the 1870s that rubber bladders were used and the more oval shape of the balls and the size of them became standardised.

And the shoemaker”s name? William Gilbert.

Quiz

• What distinction did the following old rugby internationals have in common?:
- Bob Johnston (Ireland)
- Tommy Crean (Ireland)
- Fred Harvey (Ireland)
- Arthur Harrison (England)

For the smart-arses who got that right want was the special relationship amongst the three Irishmen (apart from being Irish).

For the super smart-arses, what did Crean and Johnston have in common beyond the other answers?

Answers next time.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Referees

Commentators

Wrong Brett; if the ball hasn't passed the plane of touch it doesn't matter if the kicker is in the air or on the ground, or in touch or not; it is play on. The ball did not pass the plane - fair try.

You've been reading your "line ball your call" haven't you Lee! Good to see.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
yourmatesam

I knew what I wrote long before I visited that site but there was some other stuff in it I was vague about and just plain wrong about. Forum members should google it and give it a read.

Hawko

Try harder.

Dobbie

Yeah there is some connection: William Gilbert kept on making the balls and his nephew James carried on the business. In 1978 the Gilbert descendants sold the company and after a few changes of ownership the company was taken over by Gray's Sports in 2002 and they reprised the use of the Gilbert name on the ball. Then KB (Kurtley Beale) got sconed by one of them.

Another shoemaker in the same street, Richard Lindon, also made balls for the school and it is he that improved the ball later on by using vulcanised rubber.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Referees

• It's good to see a good female referee getting a gig refereeing the males. Amy Perrett refereed the Joeys IIs v. Scots IIs game the Saturday before last, the day after she whistled ISA IIs v CHS IIs, then last Friday she refereed CAS Is v. ISA Is. She's a calm, accurate ref and it would be good to see her refereeing Grade.

Er Lee - she already is. For example she refereed Sydney Uni v. Parramatta 3rd Grade last week.

Thanks Lee - didn't know that.

You talking to yourself again Lee?

It's the blue pills - I keep hearing voices.

See you later then.

Right-O. Go the Reds.

Knock, knock.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
One of the SA commentators in the Stormers/Saders clash after Robbie Freuans try-
Say what you like about offloads: dangerous or not, that's the kind of rugby that stops kids going to the movies.

Great line.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Commentators

Reds v Blues Sherwin Stowers of the Blues appears to knock the ball on but looks disappointed that it was whistled up.

Phil Kearns: “I think he's saying it didn't come off his hands”
Greg Martin: “What are those things on the end of his arms?”

Referees

• I mentioned Amy Perrett last week but on Saturday Sarah Corrigan from the ACT refereed the West Harbour v. Northern Suburbs 1st Grade game. As far as I know it's the first time a women has refereed a Ones match in the Shute Shield, but it wouldn't have fazed Sarah - she refereed the final of the Women's RWC last year.

Shute Shield

• Well done to the Woodies for beating Sydney Uni 22-7 despite their 200 tackles, less possession, and having Uni attacking in their 22 for 22 mins. Heroic stuff, but Northern Suburbs were in even more adverse circumstances the week before against Eastern Suburbs. Norths had to make 230 tackles versus only 73 and had their visitors 31 mins. in their 22 compared to Norths 3 mins. in the Easts 22.

Yet Norths won 29 to 15.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Certain clubs used to be renown for hard/dirty play in subbies rugby and it was usual for confrontations on the field to lead to the same on the sidelines during or after the game when playing at their home grounds. We always struggled playing these teams as, frankly, the intimidation factor was huge and there was a mentality of get in, play the game and get out (a mentality usually adopted by the refs I might add).

We were travelling along well one year when one of these teams came up in the schedule. We were more than a little anxious that this game would be akin to a costly forfeit for us. Anyway, come game day we had a female ref who ran proceedings with an iron fist to the point that no one from either team was game to cross her and the opposition captain was begging his team and his supporters on the sidelines to cut out all the rubbish. We got the points that day playing at their home field - first and only time it ever happened. The female ref just through them completely and they didn't know how to deal with her.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Say what you like about offloads: dangerous or not, that's the kind of rugby that stops kids going to the movies.

I wonder if he knew that more people go to the movies than live sport?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Quade Cooper - "we're just a group of mates having fun."

We take this game to serious at times but stripped down to nuts and bolts, Quade is on the money.

I remember watching the Ellas play together for Randwick. There was exactly the same sort of feeling. The excitement and fun of being able to do something really special and the happy chatting as they jogged back to the halfway line for what seemed like the millionth time.

Status
Not open for further replies.