• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby - not set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Only in NZ:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/73576064/halftime-baby-tops-off-all-blacks-win

image.jpeg

Impeccable timing :)

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Smith and Laidlaw as running backs?!?

NMS would be magic but maybe a little small. Actually, Fekitoa and Naholo would be pretty useful as well.

Not so sure about that. I'm in the States, and in grad school I worked specifically with many, many NCAA football players who went on to the NFL. You'd be surprised at how short many of them are; makes it easier for them to dart through gaps the guards and tackles create.

Fekitoa, though, yeah. Naholo might make a good fullback.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I didn't know where else to post this but felt I had to post it somewhere.
I saw this on the Rugby Onslaught Facebook page: a bizarre Rugby warm up drill..... Apparently.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
16 years since the wind tunnel aka Athletic Park hosted its last match:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-pos...parks-century-of-spectacle--150-years-of-news

In 1972 I saw my first-ever AB Test there, v the Awful Aussies; the following year AB v an Invitational XV as part of Colin Meads' testimonial; in '75 Wellington v Scotland & '76 AB v Ireland: they rested/ dropped Sid Going for the under-rated & under-utilised Lyn Davis, Going got a huge reception when he came off after Davis was told he was injured (IIRC he limped over to be given the doctors' clearance then jogged the rest of the way).

Didn't go there again for rugby until the 1996 AB flogging of the Wobs in the worst storm to hit Wellywood since the Wahine sank (1968 with the loss of 53 lives) but in the interim did go to a coupla great gigs incl Neil Young & Bob Dylan. Also sat in the back yard of my flat in Newtown & listened to U2 for free. Last visit was in '99 for the last Test played there when we hammered France: pieces of turf & seats were taken as souvineers but pretty sure we left them at some bar in Bond St.................

For all that it was a dreadful place to watch rugby even if the sun was out & there was no wind ('canes v Brums in (?) 1997 is the only occasion that springs to mind when such was the case) it did have a certain je ne sais quoi that you just don't get at Westpac & I've gotta say that on the whole I miss the old girl. That said it's fitting that it's now a retirement village.

TheKing

Colin Windon (37)
Overheard on the Queensland Premier Rugby livestream half-time pep talk between the referees, over a 15 minute span.
  • R: "With those fast breaks, if they flatten somebody in midfield, I'll feed them for offside. But most of the time they're getting to the edge anyway, so let them go.
  • R:"Both Props are weak, but”
    AR: "Yeah but that loose head! there's nothing about him that's great, is there?"
    R: "Right, so I'll stay on the Souths loosehead and if it goes down on the other side I'll just reward Sunnybank's dominance, because it's probably Souths fault"
  • AR: "[Referee bosses] Scott Young, Hinto, and Coley just have too much pride to reward people for a good job.
  • AR: So what happens when the kick goes out, curves back and then bounces out? I've seen it played on and I've seen it given out. Which one is it?
    R: "No one was blowing up about it so who cares?"
  • R: “I was reacting a little bit with that free kick, he moved his feet and dropped to his knee and I thought "fuck ya", he can have that free kick for fucking around. Just don’t do that shit. It was either that or a straight arm.
    AR: “Yeah what a fuckhead"
  • AR: Pretty bloody unbelieavable meeting! We were doing computer shit and I thought "Shit I shouldn't be here". Do I look like a computer guy to you?
  • R: “I went to school with him. He was lucky he didn’t end up in Jail in his final year, back in 2005. You’d know him if you saw him. He’s a big sudanese bloke with a big squashed nose, like he ran in to a parked truck."
  • R: “The sun is so fucking annoying mate”

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That was a particularly funny moment; one that Cruden also seemed to enjoy.

I thought after Cruden had scored his try a little while afterwards he should have scouted out the culprits and then have done a jig with each of them.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Tom English presented a classic in that genre, packing as a spare flanker with his head up the loosehead's backside.

Status
Not open for further replies.