• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby - not set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Found on the /r/rugbyunion reddit but haven't seen it here. Pretty funny.

owUcTZi.png

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd be curious to know when it's planned to be scheduled? Spanning both sides of the equator which winter will it fit in? Argentina are presumably locked in to the rugby championship so would it more likely be around feb/mar at the same time as the 6N?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ that's my assumption, too, in which case the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) should be safe as it would give USA, Canada & Argentina an extra 5 matches each year.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It will make for some hot and sweaty games down in South America but it can only be good for Rugby worldwide.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Hmmm - Argentina, USA, Canada, Uruguay, Chile, Brazil.

Pretty big range of quality there. Argentina would destroy the likes of Brazil.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
What Highlander said, this will be a way for Argentina to continue to professionalize their internal domestic competition by giving fringe/"A" team players more exposure to test rugby.

We (Eagles) already play Uruguay and co. in pretty shitty condiitons on a near-annual basis as it is - be it south of the border or in the American South, so this won't be much of a change in that regard.

Good stuff all around as long as it comes together without sacrificing the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) (which I don't think Canada would allow - they've seemed to benefit in particular from the games against the Island nations).

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
USA Rugby looking to set up a 6N-style comp from 2016:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...can-six-nations-rugby-planned-for-2016-launch

Great if it happens but I hope it's not at the expense of the Pacific Nations Cup.
They're apparently also prepping a pro club league in the U.S., The National Rugby Football League. It's not meant to start until 2016, but it's being kicked off with a visit by Leicester to to Philadelphia to play one of the clubs, the Philadelphia Rough Riders.

From what I understand, the NRFL are combing NCAA and NFL football teams for players who might not be getting as much game time and are looking for something different; athletes who've played rugby and football who might also be interested in the Olympics; and of course rugby players. They've been holding NFL-style combines around the country to help recruit players. Not sure how many there have been, more than a few, but I know Ireland's Eddie O'Sullivan was at one assessing the athletes.

And with the way Leicester have been playing, the Philly team might have a chance at some points, and then Cockerill will complain about refereeing decisions after the game.

(Is it just me, or is having "League" in the title of a rugby union competition a bit confusing? Maybe it won't matter in the U.S. where rugby fairly unknown, let alone rugby league.)

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Septics use "league" in the context of "a competition", as in NFL, MLB, NBL, NHL, etc. Rugby league doesn't even register over there.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Much to the chagrin of the Flat Earth Society fanboys of Australia's Eastern states, South Auckland and Northern England, who think Rugby is doomed because NRL has a $800m TV deal in Australia.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^ apparently the TMO took a mere 5 looks at it before confirming that the attacking player took the ball into touch therefore the Blue team should be awarded the lineout feed. Super Rugby material, that man :)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Great hit! Pretty to watch!

How good is the winger though? Gets smashed into next year, rolls over, gets up, picks up his head and 6 of his ribs and jogs back into position.
#wellplayedthatman

Status
Not open for further replies.