• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby - not set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm always interested to see how players acclimatise to playing for different teams. Obviously moving around within Australia is less of a culture shock than moving to Japan or France. Also seeing if and/or how well they pick up the local language.

There are some good examples from France so far:

Giteau seems to understand and write french pretty well, not bastardising the language, but actually getting correct agreements etc.

Same applies for Johnny Wilkinson whose french I imagine is actually better.
This is a pretty cool bilingual video of Johnny giving an inspiring speech in both english and french (admittedly a pretty terrible accent).

But my favourite one so far is a little indication of how much Israel Folau has to learn before being able to chat with Giteau and Johnny in french at Toulon.

he's said, "Paris votre incroyable" which is basically "Paris your incredible". I'm assuming he means, Paris, you are incredible. What he must of done is use google translate (which is a perfectly fine tool) but he didn't even get the english right, he typed in your, as in possessive your as opposed to you're. So the french would be reading his tweet not understanding it all.

Not learning french might be an incentive for Israel to stay in Australia :rolleyes:.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm always interested to see how players acclimatise to playing for different teams. Obviously moving around within Australia is less of a culture shock than moving to Japan or France. Also seeing if and/or how well they pick up the local language.

There are some good examples from France so far:

Giteau seems to understand and write french pretty well, not bastardising the language, but actually getting correct agreements etc.

Same applies for Johnny Wilkinson whose french I imagine is actually better.
This is a pretty cool bilingual video of Johnny giving an inspiring speech in both english and french (admittedly a pretty terrible accent).

But my favourite one so far is a little indication of how much Israel Folau has to learn before being able to chat with Giteau and Johnny in french at Toulon.

he's said, "Paris votre incroyable" which is basically "Paris your incredible". I'm assuming he means, Paris, you are incredible. What he must of done is use google translate (which is a perfectly fine tool) but he didn't even get the english right, he typed in your, as in possessive your as opposed to you're. So the french would be reading his tweet not understanding it all.

Not learning french might be an incentive for Israel to stay in Australia :rolleyes:.

It's funny how many of our posters also mix up "your" and "you're", as well as "there", "their" and "they're". Not just the players.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I know about 8 words of french, and weirdly I can translate that (roughly): Mon aeroglisseur est plein de anguilles.

No-one correct me, this is my linguistic peak.

Reactions: Ash
Status
Not open for further replies.