• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby - not set pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I've just got a thing for quirky or unusual stuff, Nusadan.

Laws

Just before oranges in Crusaders v Stormers the visitors threw the ball to Duane Vermeulen in the lineout. Some of the Crusaders took a step back as Vermeulen came to ground and smuggled the ball back to a team mate latched onto him, Once this was done Crusaders contacted the Stormers for the first time trying to invoke a “truck and trailer” penalty.

The whistle blew and the Crusaders clapped the ref but not for long: Chris Pollock had penalised them.

You guys can't walk away from the lineout: you must stay in there, you can't leave.... you've got to stay on the line of touch.”

Wow – I had often thought about that Saders' move as being a good ploy; not now.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I thought they were hard done by Lee. I looked at the replay and didn't see anyone step back.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interviews

• When asked pre-game about coming back to Canberra to play for the Rebels against his old team mates in the Brumbies team, Mark Gerrard said: “It's like when your ex-girlfriend goes out with one of your mates: you want to get the upper hand; so let's hope we do that tonight.”

Unfortunately, after his Rebels team was thrashed, it was Mark who left the ground with his tail between his legs.

• After the Cheetahs v Highlanders game Clan skipper Jamie McIntosh was asked post match by Matt Pearce if the ban on having a celebratory drink after a game on tour would be lifted, such was the miraculous nature of their win after being 21 points down.

'Whoppa' said it had been blown out of proportion: “We just said: yeah, we'll knock off the beers for a couple of weeks ….. (we're) trying to look after Horey (Andrew Hore) who was hanging from the rafters a couple of times.”

Fully clothed, I hope.

C

Cave Dweller

Toulon 32-29 Stade Français
Toulon struggled to a tight win against Stade Français to reach the final, thanks to the boot of Jonny Wilkinson securing a late drop goal for the win.

Biarritz 19-0 Brive
Biarritz made it two home wins out of two in the semi finals as pretty much everybody expected as soon as the semi final draw was made.

Like Stade Français, Brive played a weakened side, but only slightly weakened compared to Stade's ransacked side.

The Amlin Challenge Cup final will be played at the Twickenham Stoop on Wednesday the 18th of May between Toulon and Biarritz.
If Toulon win, the team that finishes seventh in the Top 14 will qualify for the 2012/13 Heineken Cup, if Biarritz win then they will qualify instead.

C

Cave Dweller

I've just got a thing for quirky or unusual stuff, Nusadan.

Laws

Just before oranges in Crusaders v Stormers the visitors threw the ball to Duane Vermeulen in the lineout. Some of the Crusaders took a step back as Vermeulen came to ground and smuggled the ball back to a team mate latched onto him, Once this was done Crusaders contacted the Stormers for the first time trying to invoke a “truck and trailer” penalty.

The whistle blew and the Crusaders clapped the ref but not for long: Chris Pollock had penalised them.

You guys can't walk away from the lineout: you must stay in there, you can't leave.... you've got to stay on the line of touch.”

Wow – I had often thought about that Saders' move as being a good ploy; not now.
Wasn't that vs The Bulls? Ralepelle threw the ball in and Spies caught with his support bound to him. The Crusaders were actually clever as the saw Spies transfering it to the back and they knew the Bulls had a strong maul and they ran into the players at the front of the maul.

Now the following has ruling was made some years ago. You can find it at the IRB official site where all the countries can sent in reports and question certain things. Scotland made this one.

Ruling in Law by the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee

Ruling 8-2009, dated 16 October 2009, in response to a request by the Scottish rugby Union based on Law 10.

Request

At a line-out team A is throwing in and wins the ball. As the jumper returns to the ground and his supporting players bind onto him in accordance with Law. The ball is passed to the back man of the bound players with the expectation that team B will contest for possession of the ball and form a maul.

Team B at no time during the catching of the ball, or while team A form what they expect to be a maul, contest for possession of the ball. Once team A advance towards team B’s goal line, team B makes contact with the front players of the advancing group of team A players but are denied an opportunity to make contact with the ball-carrier as the ball is now at the back
of the group.

Is this obstruction and are team A liable to penalty?

Ruling of the Designated Members of the Rugby Committee

The Designated Members have indicated that the Laws applying to obstruction need to be applied consistently whether they be at a line-out or in any other open play situation.

The Designated Members have ruled that in the situation described the original ball-carrier is no longer in contact with the ball, it is not possible for the opposition to form a maul by contact with the ball-carrier.

The Referee will award a penalty kick in accordance with Law 10.1 (c), (d) or (e) save for situations where the Referee considers the actions constitute accidental offside in accordance with Law 11.6 (a) when a scrum is awarded with the throw in to the non-offending team.

The referee seems to be quite correct in law.
So the Crusaders were very clever but they were too clever as. You can find the laws in the IRB manual but I will quote the passage

Law 13 OFF-SIDE WHEN TAKING PART IN THE LINE-OUT
(d) The referee must penalise any player who, voluntarily or not, moves into an off-side position without trying to win possession or tackle an opponent.
Sanction: Penalty Kick on the 15-metre line
(e) No player of either team participating in the line-out may leave the line-out until it has ended
That's were this came in

Here is the video clip of it

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Cave Dweller

No - that is a different incident from the week before.

That didn't register with me then. Now I see why the Crusaders tried it a week later against the Stormers at home: they got a penalty against the Bulls, why not try it again?

It's interesting that Peyper allowed the Crusaders to retreat from the lineout then charge into the Bulls who had the ball at the back by that time, but Pollock didn't.

Peyper should have pinged the Crusaders as Pollock did, because they were the first offenders. They retreated from the line of touch before the Bulls met them with their "tank" with the ball at the back, which would have been a Crusaders penalty in any other circumstance apart from at a lineout.

Pollock handled the situation correctly though the stepping back of the Crusaders in the incident against the Stormers was not as obvious as the stepping back against the Bulls, in your clip.

Interesting

PS - Watch the Crusaders learn from it. I bet they try to do the same thing, but don't retreat. It will be tight because the lineouts are close together; but a word to the ref before the game may get a dividend.

The counter to this is obvious: start the tank with the ball in the front with team mates latching on behind, then smuggle it back once contact is made.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Try Celebration

As the ball is kicked off to start the Bath v Wasps game the weekend before last, Wasps are 2nd last on the ladder. They have 31 league points and Newcastle, the bottom team, has 28 points but has already played in the round. These two teams meet in the final pool game of the season this coming Saturday (May 5th). The team with the lowest number of league points then is relegated. If there is a tie of league points it goes does down to the number of wins, then for and against.

The score is 17-12 to Bath with two minutes to go; so Wasps have a losing bonus point “as it stands” to add to the 31 league points they have already. Even if they lose to Newcastle in the last game of the round and end up with 32 points as Newcastle will have then (and the same number of wins as it will turn out) they are probably safe.

Their for and against record is 47 better that Newcastle's. Ignoring any try bonus points earned by either side in that last game, Newcastle will have to win by 24 points to get the for and against differential in their favour. Unlikely, not Newcastle.

But bloody hell: at the 78th minute Bath makes a break. The ball is passed to reserve flyhalf Sam Vesty only 20 metres out; and after a few steps he raises an arm in triumph. There goes Wasps' losing bonus point; so they will be only 3 league points ahead of Newcastle, not 4. A loss to Newcastle in the last game of the season by 8 or more (denying the Wasps a losing bonus point then) sees Wasps drop and Newcastle stay.

Bugger; losing by 8 to Newcastle is much more likely than losing by 24.

But the try is not scored yet. Here comes Tom Varndell, the Wasps winger. Just after Vesty of Bath raises his arm in celebration before diving over Varndell launches himself and turns Vesty on his back in the in-goal area in one fell swoop. Did he get it down? What does the TMO say? - TRY

The home Bath fans are happy: that's the 4th try for them and their bonus point. If the rugby planets align and the sun rises in the west, Bath gets ahead of Sale on Saturday and therefore gets a shot at the Heineken Cup next year. [But let's not go there.]

But wait - there's more. Referee Dave Pearson is gesticulating. He knows from speaking to the TMO that he pushed the wrong button and gives him a rocket. The TMO pushes the NO TRY button this time and the Rubik cube gets twisted back.. Thanks to the hot dogging of Sam Vesty of Bath, Newcastle has to beat Wasps by 24 points on Saturday, not 8.

There's a moral in that story somewhere.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Vesty's early celebration was a really stupid thing to do and he wont do it again. However as Guscott said when asked about it someone else will do something similar again in the future.

It's very hard to see Newcastle winning by 24 points, but ties like this have a habit of going close to what is actually needed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Newcastle up by 17-20 points at some time in the game and then the next score deciding the momentum and who gets relegated.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Commentators

• In the 13th minute of Clermont v Montpellier the visitors play silly buggers with a 22 metre drop out and get free kicked by the ref for time wasting. Clermont takes a scrum and their no.8 takes off from the base of it, but fails to identify the chap closest to him.

Robbie Nock: “Elvis Vermuellen passed to the referee !!!“
Simon Mannix: “Romain Poite read it beautifully: he saw the hole; he was coming round the corner. I tell you what: I think he was going to score his first try in his career.”
Robbie Nock (laughing): “He didn't take it.”
Simon Mannix: “A good thing he didn't take it because (Montpellier No.8) Matadigo was ready to pounce on him.”

Poor hands indeed. But he was probably safe – what backrower would willingly tackle a ref given half a chance?

C

Cave Dweller

Cave Dweller

No - that is a different incident from the week before.

That didn't register with me then. Now I see why the Crusaders tried it a week later against the Stormers at home: they got a penalty against the Bulls, why not try it again?

It's interesting that Peyper allowed the Crusaders to retreat from the lineout then charge into the Bulls who had the ball at the back by that time, but Pollock didn't.

Peyper should have pinged the Crusaders as Pollock did, because they were the first offenders. They retreated from the line of touch before the Bulls met them with their "tank" with the ball at the back, which would have been a Crusaders penalty in any other circumstance apart from at a lineout.

Pollock handled the situation correctly though the stepping back of the Crusaders in the incident against the Stormers was not as obvious as the stepping back against the Bulls, in your clip.

Interesting

PS - Watch the Crusaders learn from it. I bet they try to do the same thing, but don't retreat. It will be tight because the lineouts are close together; but a word to the ref before the game may get a dividend.

The counter to this is obvious: start the tank with the ball in the front with team mates latching on behind, then smuggle it back once contact is made.
They got penalize for it there as well. Blew them up for the line out.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Commentators

• In the 13th minute of Clermont v Montpellier the visitors play silly buggers with a 22 metre drop out and get free kicked by the ref for time wasting. Clermont takes a scrum and their no.8 takes off from the base of it, but fails to identify the chap closest to him.

Robbie Nock: “Elvis Vermuellen passed to the referee !!!“
Simon Mannix: “Romain Poite read it beautifully: he saw the hole; he was coming round the corner. I tell you what: I think he was going to score his first try in his career.”
Robbie Nock (laughing): “He didn't take it.”
Simon Mannix: “A good thing he didn't take it because (Montpellier No.8) Matadigo was ready to pounce on him.”

Poor hands indeed. But he was probably safe – what backrower would willingly tackle a ref given half a chance?

Poite got cleared out when he got too close to the ruck in the Scarlets v Munster HEC pool game earlier in the season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Bryan Habana butchered a try against the Force last weekend however it was still awarded.

They showed it on The Rugby Club last night where he dived short of the line and the ball popped out before he'd actually slid across the try line.

C

Cave Dweller

Bryan Habana butchered a try against the Force last weekend however it was still awarded.

They showed it on The Rugby Club last night where he dived short of the line and the ball popped out before he'd actually slid across the try line.
How did it look in real time?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It looks alright in real time and the fact that it was a runaway intercept try meant it was never going to be reviewed by the TMO.

A slow motion replay was conclusive that he didn't score it though. He was probably still a foot short of the line when the ball popped out.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They got penalize for it there as well. Blew them up for the line out.
Perhaps we are at cross-purposes : the Crusaders received a penalty from Peyper when they stepped back from the line of touch at a lineout and the Bulls formed a tank, smuggled the ball back. then made contact with the Crusaders, who had stepped forward then to greet them.

They were pinged because as Peyper said in your clip: there was no maul and the Bulls couldn't contact the Crusaders with the ball at the back of the tank. Obstruction. He missed the point that the Crusaders had infringed first by stepping back from the line of touch.

A week later Pollock did not miss this point when the Crusaders stepped back from the line of touch against the Stormers.

The Crusaders received a penalty one week, and were penalised the following week - for doing the same thing.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Commentators

Southern Districts v Manly and Manly get a scrum feed close to their own goal line.

Brett Papwoth; “Nothing too fancy I wouldn't think here from Manly: Milroy will punch this into touch.” Hold that thought.

After the ball is passed back, the reserve Southerns scrummie, De Wet Roos, takes off like a scalded cat towards the reserve Manly fullback threatening to charge his kick down. This forces Milroy to pass wide to …. the upright of the goal post. Southerns get the pill from the rebound; there is a ruck and Roos scores. I'd never seen that before.

Papworth: "Could have sworn I told him to put it into touch.”

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Also from that SS game, Lee, I enjoyed the following (may not be verbatim)

Sideline reporter: Guys, Metuisela is coming off with a bout of 'flu

Comm: What, he's come down with it during the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.