• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby post 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Bit of an update. World Rugby have decided on some changes, though we don't have much detail at this stage. No reports as to how end of year tour revenue will be sorted

* Six nations stays where it is
* Domestic Rugby in (some parts) up north to start and finish later
* Looks like Super Rugby may be finishing earlier?
* No mention of the Top 14 which renders the rest of it pretty meaningless

Hopefully more to come

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37354427

Moving the June Test window back to July to allow Super Rugby to run uninterrupted.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It also looks like June tours will be scrapped for post-World Cup years, pesumably pre-world cup as well. So with the Lions year there as well, it looks like visits by England/Ireland/Scotland and Wales will be pretty rare

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
My two cents; we should move to their calendar.

September - December: Super Rugby
January - March: NRC
January - March: TRC
April - August: Club Rugby (Super Rugby players can feature in July as part of their pre-season)

Only thing I don't know is where you play Tests against Northern Hemisphere teams; perhaps July?

Also means you avoid going H2H against AFL and NRL for most of the season.

A completely different idea, but might work?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So:

No official international period in June of the leap years for the sake of World Cup Recovery.

British Rugby delayed by a month or so to allow Summer Internationals to take place after Super Rugby.

Two smart moves given Summer European Rugby was never a genuine possibility.

Just need the Lions to change to 6 game tours and add the Argies to the rotation and we're on the right track.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

April - August: Club Rugby (Super Rugby players can feature in July as part of their pre-season)

Only thing I don't know is where you play Tests against Northern Hemisphere teams; perhaps July?

The June test window will become the July test window and likely begin a 'Test' season.

As for shifting schedules. I think there may be some merit in moving the NRC further back as a means of getting it out from under the NRL and AFL finals series. The nature of the NRC being essentially a sprint lends itself to that window as opposed to Super Rugby which with some kind of radical change in format change does not.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Only amateur club rugby during the traditional rugby months, when the weather is most suitable and amongst the peak TV ratings season?

Nah, no way..........

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Only amateur club rugby during the traditional rugby months, when the weather is most suitable and amongst the peak TV ratings season?

Nah, no way....

The peak TV ratings season doesn't seem to be working out all that well for Rugby, if you hadn't noticed, particularly as we don't have a FTA presence (including even rating a mention on FTA news!)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The peak TV ratings season doesn't seem to be working out all that well for Rugby, if you hadn't noticed, particularly as we don't have a FTA presence (including even rating a mention on FTA news!)

That doesn't fix the problem.........

And then there's the simple fact that playing top level rugby in the Australian summer is not possible.

T

Tip

That doesn't fix the problem...

And then there's the simple fact that playing top level rugby in the Australian summer is not possible.

To be honest, playing a Rugby game in the midst of summer at 8pm is not much different to playing a Super Rugby game in February at 4pm.

It just requires some smart scheduling.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be honest, playing a Rugby game in the midst of summer at 8pm is not much different to playing a Super Rugby game in February at 4pm.

It just requires some smart scheduling.

How many Australian Super Rugby games are played in February at 4pm?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
That doesn't fix the problem...

Agree to disagree. Played at night, under lights, on fast, dry decks. Would be great to watch and great for fans. If it works for the A-League, why not Rugby? If it's really hot, introduce breaks at 1/4 time...

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Agree to disagree. Played at night, under lights, on fast, dry decks. Would be great to watch and great for fans. If it works for the A-League, why not Rugby? If it's really hot, introduce breaks at 1/4 time.
Does it work for A-league?

Their ratings disappear as soon as there's any cricket on. Suspect ours would too

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The concept of playing professional rugby in Brisbane in summer seems fanciful to me. Forget the heat, even at night it doesnt drop below 85% RH - unless there's a storm to break it. Either scenario does not bode well for rugby.

Definitely NOT "Dry decks" but a very greasey, slippery, sweaty ball.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Does it work for A-league?

Their ratings disappear as soon as there's any cricket on. Suspect ours would too

Last season their ratings held up far better against cricket than before, its the Big Bash that belts them.

The start of the season proper of the NRL & AFL is when they loose most of their ratings.

Will be interesting to see how they fair when they go to a FTA broadcaster which I am told by a client will happen.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bit of an update. World Rugby have decided on some changes, though we don't have much detail at this stage. No reports as to how end of year tour revenue will be sorted

* Six nations stays where it is
* Domestic Rugby in (some parts) up north to start and finish later
* Looks like Super Rugby may be finishing earlier?
* No mention of the Top 14 which renders the rest of it pretty meaningless

Hopefully more to come

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/37354427

Steve Tew has issued a bit of a "Whoa! Not so fast, there, Bill & Agustín...."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ugby-internationals-post-world-cup-not-agreed

Possibly wants a bigger slice of the pie & fair enough, that's his no. 1 job.

It occurs to me that if the NH teams aren't going to venture South in the year after a RWC maybe there's an opportunity to bring back tours involving the SANZAAR partners: NZ haven't toured SA since 1996 on which occasion we played four Tests but only the last counted as part of the Tri-Nations. So maybe there could be a three-Test series between, say, NZ & SA with T3 beng part of TRC?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
For the life of me I don't know why they Brits+ don't push the 6 Nations back six weeks. The grounds'd be so much better in March and April. Less rain, less mud, more sunny days. But no conflict with domestic finals.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The concept of playing professional rugby in Brisbane in summer seems fanciful to me. Forget the heat, even at night it doesnt drop below 85% RH - unless there's a storm to break it. Either scenario does not bode well for rugby.

Definitely NOT "Dry decks" but a very greasey, slippery, sweaty ball.

Yea sure, that's a fair point. Just a different line of thinking of my part, I suppose. The reality is that something needs to change drastically in this country or Rugby (as a professional sport) will continue to lose support and money...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
For the life of me I don't know why they Brits+ don't push the 6 Nations back six weeks. The grounds'd be so much better in March and April. Less rain, less mud, more sunny days. But no conflict with domestic finals.
Traditional timeslot.

Continues the "winter sucks balls, we need events to bring us out of it" theme that Europe has, but is comparatively absent here.

Boring part of Domestic football, with the Champions League being midweek.

No GAA or Cricket issues splitting interest.

And on top of that, there's a growing attitude of, "we shouldn't have to change to continue subsidising the Southern Hemisphere". I don't agree with it, it's too selfish for mine, and doesn't really encourage the game to grow, but it's not an unreasonable position to take from a European Standpoint, regardless of whether it's Union or Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.