• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

i know the draw is fairly complicated, but last night was a planning disaster from a broadcaster perspective, not having a team in the 7:30 AEDT time spot really hurt.. And playing the Reds in New Zealand on a Friday at 4:30AEST should have been avoided... Another reason rugby union tv rights will never command the same value as other Australian sporting codes.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Rebels v Brumbies - 84k

Sydney derby ALeague match got 135k, hopefully the Reds Tahs blockbuster next week can set a new benchmark

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Rebels v Brumbies - 84k

Sydney derby ALeague match got 135k, hopefully the Reds Tahs blockbuster next week can set a new benchmark
The other A-League games weren't as high:
Newcastle vs. Central Coast 43k
Victory vs. Wellington 65k
Perth vs. Brisbane 76k

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Brumbies v Force - 50k.

Pretty awful result. Rugby had the lowest fox rating of the night behind preseason afl, wc cricket, and a-league. League on FTA as well

The early game Chiefs v highlanders was slightly better at 56k

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reds vs. NSW 109k

Blues vs. Lions 37k

Games with SA teams are always the lowest rating. So next year with the new conferences format will improve things, the AUS-NZ conference will have a good audience. Aussie teams only could face South African teams in the playoffs

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I can't believe 109K were subjected to that torturous event

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder whether something needs to be done about the footballs in that sort of weather - when a player like Jacpot drops his first three passes, something is basically wrong.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
So next year with the new conferences format will improve things, the AUS-NZ conference will have a good audience. Aussie teams only could face South African teams in the playoffs

Every Aussie team will play 3 matches against South African opposition and 1 against either the Japanese or Argentinian team. It's not much different.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I wonder whether something needs to be done about the footballs in that sort of weather - when a player like Jacpot drops his first three passes, something is basically wrong.

But wrong with the balls or the player? Some others dropped passes too but in the main most were able to catch and hold the ball when it came to them. I think Jackpot's problem was that he was receiving the pass so flat that he was already under considerable defensive pressure when it came to him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the ball is slippery because of the humidity you surely need to adjust the way you play slightly.

There's no point dropping the ball 5 times and then blaming the humidity. You've got to adjust to the conditions accordingly.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
Every Aussie team will play 3 matches against South African opposition and 1 against either the Japanese or Argentinian team. It's not much different.

So really a continuation of a dogs breakfast of a format that will see professional rugby propped up in this country for another 5 years. But the code here will go absolutely nowhere. So nothing will change.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Would more people really be watching if we had 10 Aussie teams playing against each other all season and the quality was substantially lower?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well 99% of successful sporting leagues in the world would dis agree with you

Yes, I completely accept that most sporting leagues are domestic.

I don't think rugby is big enough in Australia to fund a domestic competition to the level that would be required to firstly keep our best players here and secondly make the quality good enough to be a product that would hold us in good stead on the international stage.

New Zealand in particular realises they need both us and South Africa and they have much greater depth in players than we do.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, plenty watch the NRL which has more than 10 clubs.
To my eye,the standard is woeful...

Yes, but the NRL is hugely popular and has been for a long time.

I don't think rugby in Australia is going to suddenly attract a huge number of new viewers just by having more content in prime viewing times.

It's a sad situation but it's just not that popular. Super Rugby success will increase viewers (particularly live) in one location but overall, the only thing that I think can substantially increase the popularity on a national scale is ongoing success by the Wallabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.