• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 1987

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
watched final again.

13th min, Buck Shelford takes off his necklace and casually chucks it over the sideline.

There were about 2 ballboys in the whole place and they just stood stock still watching the game. Players had to trot off and retrieve the ball themselves like it was Tuesday night at training.

There was an INSANE little temporary scaffolding stand towering off in the corner that looked like it was fashioned with bog pipes and broomsticks.

Final whistle, Warwick Taylor smiles and holds his arms up in the air. He pats Murray Pierce on the back and almost hugs him. Pierce almost smiles. Commentator Earle Kirton is astonished at this hippie free love free-for-all and says "oh my God I don't think I've ever seen the All Blacks show such emotion at the end of a test match."

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
One of my memories was Wales stopping in Levin and having a training session about lunchtime it was as I couple of us from work went up and had a look. A few local boys were there as opposition when needed and the thing I will always remember is Derek Quinnel the Welsh coach telling the locals to ease of in the scrumming practice, they were doing the Welsh front row! Think there were 2 senior A players, and the hooker actually played for Athletic Bs! Was not a real strong Welsh team at that time!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
How was the haka?
missed that part. Probably incredibly pedestrian and tinpot.
One of my memories was Wales stopping in Levin and having a training session about lunchtime it was as I couple of us from work went up and had a look. A few local boys were there as opposition when needed and the thing I will always remember is Derek Quinnel the Welsh coach telling the locals to ease of in the scrumming practice, they were doing the Welsh front row! Think there were 2 senior A players, and the hooker actually played for Athletic Bs! Was not a real strong Welsh team at that time!

bit of a bummer. in the mid 70's, when I was just becoming aware of rugby, it was Wales who were the talked-about team to beat. JPR Williams. Gareth someone. Another Williams. All the Williams.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
bit of a bummer. in the mid 70's, when I was just becoming aware of rugby, it was Wales who were the talked-about team to beat. JPR Williams. Gareth someone. Another Williams. All the Williams.

Yep mate ,they crashed in early eighties, I still hold them as one of our great rivals , and f*** anyone who points out how long in been since they beat ABs! I grew up hearing and reading of how magical and bloody hard it was to play at Arms Park and getting goosebumps when I heard that crowd begin to sing as you could on radio etc! Welsh players were the backbone of the 71 Lions team, a team that changed the rugby landscape in NZ more than any other I always thought, with the wizardry of Gareth Edwards,Barry Johns, Gerald Davies on wing and JPR Williams! I think Derk Quinnell was actually in that Lions tour, and was said coach in 87

Status
Not open for further replies.