• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2019

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
^ I'm hoping karma is a footy fan & sees to it that armless Owen finally cops the Red he's somehow managed to dodge until now. In a KO match courtesy of Garces with TMO input from Jonker would be perfect.

Oh me too. He's a stroppy git who shoulder charges blokes. How he's evaded being sent off in a test match baffles me.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yeah, the fact WR (World Rugby) used his effort v SA as an exemplar of how the dangerous tackle Law should be applied says it all, really.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
^ I'm hoping karma is a footy fan & sees to it that armless Owen finally cops the Red he's somehow managed to dodge until now. In a KO match courtesy of Garces with TMO input from Jonker would be perfect.

oh yeah. and to top it off, that outraged brit in Zero's clip is calling the match

".....wot a hit from Owen Farrell that were OH REF U DICKHEAD. ITS A RED CAAAAARD. DIABOLICAL. AH CAHNT SPAKE. FRENCHIE REF'S SOILED IS OWN KNICKERS AND GIVEN OWEN A RED. AH CANT SPAKE. WE ALL CANT SPAKE. IT WERE DIABOLICAL. FRENCHIE REF WOT U DOIN. AH CANT SPAKE. NUN OF US CAHNT SPAKE. ITS A MANS GAME FRENCHIE. NOT SOME PARIS FRILLY LADIES UNDERGARMENTS CAT WALK LIKE IN FRANCE FRENCHIE. EZ BOTTLED IT. EZ BOTTLED IT LIKE FRENCH WINE. U DICKHEAD. REF U DICKHEAD. AH CAHNT SPAKE. OWEN CAHNT SPAKE."

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
1987: me and about 10 guys wagged ENTIRE month of school to watch damn near every match on telly. A glorious coronation. Weird back then to feast on so many matches. Entire games televised were bizarrely not commonplace. Even went to France v Fiji 1/8 final with the old man, sitting behind posts, great goddamn game.

1991: living in SF, USA so missed entire tourney until tracking down a bar with 1 telly in the corner showing NZ's fateful exit. I was the only person watching. All the seppos were doing their bar thing. I bet they don't even remember that fateful night in 1991! Game finished quietly, no one the wiser, I sloped out silently into the seppo night where not one single fuck about the result was given nationwide. Meanwhile, there's a Gulf War in my brain. Never saw the final until a replay couple of months ago

1995: watching in Pitcairns at some rich blokes palatial house, with about 30 expats, some sort of NZ association. Fucking Mehrts and his crooked Suzie droppie

1999: early morning in Auckland, a bizarro capitulation and exit. Never seen the final

2003: beck in Pitcairns, The Evil Wizard intercept, stopped watching entire tournament minutes later. Never seen final.

2007: 20 years since they've won a WC now and the choker tag is being ladled on thick. After all the "rotation" bullshit Wayne Barnes decides to flourish the event with his own "rotation". Some NZ'ers actually forgive the clown for his act of espionage. NEVER. Of course, I didnt watch final.

2011. Watched entire final on my knees, in front of telly, by myself. Match started and I just never relaxed enough to actually sit down. The worst and best rugby match I have ever watched in my life.

2015: The holy trilogy, the triumvirate of coronary coronation. I WATCHED THIS FINAL.

weird how I stop watching once/if NZ are bundled out. dead to me. Might be different this year with a slightly shittier AB team unburdened by the weight of chokey expectorant expectation. OR NOT.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
1987: me and about 10 guys wagged ENTIRE month of school to watch damn near every match on telly. A glorious coronation. Weird back then to feast on so many matches. Entire games televised were bizarrely not commonplace. Even went to France v Fiji 1/8 final with the old man, sitting behind posts, great goddamn game.

1991: living in SF, USA so missed entire tourney until tracking down a bar with 1 telly in the corner showing NZ's fateful exit. I was the only person watching. All the seppos were doing their bar thing. I bet they don't even remember that fateful night in 1991! Game finished quietly, no one the wiser, I sloped out silently into the seppo night where not one single fuck about the result was given nationwide. Meanwhile, there's a Gulf War in my brain. Never saw the final until a replay couple of months ago

1995: watching in Pitcairns at some rich blokes palatial house, with about 30 expats, some sort of NZ association. Fucking Mehrts and his crooked Suzie droppie

1999: early morning in Auckland, a bizarro capitulation and exit. Never seen the final

2003: beck in Pitcairns, The Evil Wizard intercept, stopped watching entire tournament minutes later. Never seen final.

2007: 20 years since they've won a WC now and the choker tag is being ladled on thick. After all the "rotation" bullshit Wayne Barnes decides to flourish the event with his own "rotation". Some NZ'ers actually forgive the clown for his act of espionage. NEVER. Of course, I didnt watch final.

2011. Watched entire final on my knees, in front of telly, by myself. Match started and I just never relaxed enough to actually sit down. The worst and best rugby match I have ever watched in my life.

2015: The holy trilogy, the triumvirate of coronary coronation. I WATCHED THIS FINAL.

weird how I stop watching once/if NZ are bundled out. dead to me. Might be different this year with a slightly shittier AB team unburdened by the weight of chokey expectorant expectation. OR NOT.

1987 - I was working at a pub in Newtown in Sydney and we had half the Wallaby team in one night, mid-week, between pool games. Farr-Jones was a regular there and knew the manager. Anyhoo, much dispensing of free beer went on and a good night was had by all. All I can say is Bill Campbell and Steve Cutler up close were very large humans.
1994 - late in year, working at Coffs Harbour hospital and the Wallabies in town for a "pre-pre-World Cup Camp" - I think they were prepping for a NH tour then. Out at a pub drinking with mates up from Sydney, and ran into the team on a "free night". Ended up in the only nightclub in Coffs (Penguins - a particularly skanky establishment) drinking with a group of them. The pre-pro era when nobody turned a hair at this sort of thing was kinda cool.

Tex

John Thornett (49)
2003 - I was in high school and watched the glorious semi-final in Federation Square with 10,000 other people. Got into an argument with a Kiwi gent about a few law interpretation differences then ran down Swanston St playing touch amidst the throngs.

Watched the final vs England at the Geelong caravan park where we were staying for a rowing regatta. The whole park erupted when Tuquiri jumped over Robinson for the opening try. Very subdued atmosphere after Wilko's special drop goal!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Springboks' 31-man Rugby World Cup squad:
Forwards (17)
Schalk Brits (Bulls), Lood de Jager (Bulls), Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers), Eben Etzebeth (Stormers), Steven Kitshoff (Stormers), Vincent Koch (Saracens, England), Siya Kolisi (captain, Stormers), Francois Louw (Bath, England), Frans Malherbe (Stormers), Malcolm Marx (Lions), Bongi Mbonambi (Stormers), Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Franco Mostert (Gloucester, England), Trevor Nyakane (Bulls), Kwagga Smith (Lions), RG Snyman (Bulls), Duane Vermeulen (Bulls)
Backs (14)
Lukhanyo Am (Sharks), Damian de Allende (Stormers), Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks, England), Warrick Gelant (Bulls), Elton Jantjies (Lions), Herschel Jantjies (Stormers), Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse, France), Jesse Kriel (Bulls), Makazole Mapimpi (Sharks), S'bu Nkosi (Sharks), Willie le Roux (Toyota Verblitz, Japan), Handre Pollard (Bulls), Cobus Reinach (Northampton Saints, England), Frans Steyn (Montpellier, France)

d133b449adff4943b2a2f6e211288027.png

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So would Dyantyi be in this squad ahead of Nkosi or someone if he wasn't currently under a drug suspension cloud?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

1987: There was no World Cup

1991: There was no World Cup

:D

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
All Blacks squad is: B Barrett, J Barrett, S Barrett, G Bridge, S Cane, D Coles, L Coltman, R Crotty, J Goodhue, R Ioane, L Jacobson, N Laulala, A Lienert-Brown, A Moli, J Moody, R Mo'unga, TJ Perenara, K Read (capt), S Reece, B Retallick, A Savea, A Smith, B Smith, A Ta'a'vao, C Taylor, M Todd, P Tuipulotu, O Tu'ungafasi, B Weber, S Whitelock, SBW.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Total of 1,195 Test caps in AB squad, average ~38.5: apparently the average average Test caps for RWC winners in the pro era is 50+. Three guys going for a personal three-peat (Read, Whitelock & Williams), nine backing up from 2015.

NZHurld this morning calculated average age of a "likely" squad that included Frank's & Squire at 27: with Moli & Jacobson that will obviously be slightly lower. Average age of pro era RWC winners has tended to be 28 or 29.