• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup Matches OTA

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Really thought this was the Norths time

Only fitting that it’s a likely SA v NZ final as rugby’s biggest rivalry where one team will have won 4 and for the second time a winner that lost a pool game

my moneys on SA

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Same teams as always through to the semis.

Really feels like the worst possible outcome for the sport.

Would you have preferred the better teams to play with 13 men all game to even the ledger?

Experience goes a long way in tournament format competitions. As long as teams like Fiji, Ireland etc keep building on this, they’ll hopefully go one better in 2027.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)

To me, it’s so disappointing that these games (nz v Ireland and rsa v France) were not semi finals they should be at any other tournament given they’re the top 4 sides

England and Argentina are big step below

it’s the fault of the draw being done so early

but at least we saw 2 of the best QF of all time

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
All 4 games could have gone either way, I wouldn't be too downtrodden if I was the Northern Hemisphere teams

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
To me, it’s so disappointing that these games (nz v Ireland and rsa v France) were not semi finals they should be at any other tournament given they’re the top 4 sides

Yeah this is true, but I wouldn't write off either Argentina or England in a one off game against knackered opponents

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

I don't really get why people care so much about the draw. The games happen either way, we got 2 (actually 4) titanic matches this weekend that were some of the best I've seen, it being a QF or a semi doesn't change the match quality or enjoyment. France and Ireland to win a world cup have to go through SA/NZ either now, semis or final.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't really get why people care so much about the draw. The games happen either way, we got 2 (actually 4) titanic matches this weekend that were some of the best I've seen, it being a QF or a semi doesn't change the match quality or enjoyment. France and Ireland to win a world cup have to go through SA/NZ either now, semis or final.
Quality content

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
It’s more that now we have England and Argentina in Semi Finals which feels a bit undeserved. Not that they both couldn’t surprise us

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Can someone with better rugby rules knowledge explain a ruling for me.

In extra time England were penalised for a deliberate knock on, but the bloke who did it was not yellow carded. How was the situation different to Smith's Deliberate knock on in the NZ/IRE game?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

In extra time England were penalised for a deliberate knock on, but the bloke who did it was not yellow carded. How was the situation different to Smith's Deliberate knock on in the NZ/IRE game?
It's no longer an automatic yellow (thank god). I havn't seen the incident so not sure but i believe for it to be a yellow you need to stop a try scoring opportunity.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

Aaron Smith was yellow carded due to it stopping a clear line break attempt (could have been a try) whereas Fiji weren’t going anywhere even without the intentional knockdown

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Perhaps a bit controversial, but a part of me also quite likes that they do the draw further out. I'd prefer its 2 years, not 3. But I think there is something appealing about connecting the World Cup to the performance of teams within the cycles. A favourable draw then becomes a reward for sustained performance over a longer period of time.

Anywho, there's been far too much made of it so hopefully all that chat dissipates now. With the expansion of the next World Cup I can't imagine it will be an issue in 2027 either.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
I'd love to hear your logic as to this being the worst AB team EVER.
Just what the NZ public and supporters are saying
Foz has bad record for NZ coach, lost their first pool game at RWC, and lost first NH series to Ireland last year plus lowest ranking of 4th

if only we could be as good as NZ and despise this record
I actually bellieve they have the ability to be up their with some of their best NZ teams, just not on a consistent basis atm

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Well that was one of the best weekends of rugby I can remember
Just as you thought you could up the Irish and ABs game France and SA just delivered
4 great games which could have gone either way
If Fiji got over England would have swept for the SH sides
NH will be ruing the best chance to get more in the semi finals, this was their best Chance particularly France and Ireland to get into the finals
NZ and SA look like favs atm for the final but you never know what surprise England or arg could pull off

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

They've consistently tweaked the rules to suit a slower NH style game over the years much to the detriment of the actual product. The reffing bias against the smaller sides that could realistically beat them (looking at Wales v Fiji) is on display for all to see. The corruption in WR (World Rugby), though only hinted at, is pretty obvious too.

And they still can't get a win.

So fuck them.