• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Havent read through all the posts. Thought the Bokke gave it their best shot. Thought my two Paarl Gym Twin Bokke , Jean de Villiers and Schalk Burger had blinders. Usually when they play like this in whatever team, they are on the right side of the ledger. Unfair really to single out players with the performances they delivered. We dominate 1st phase and the laws or cycle of old school rugby followers like myself will tell you , it should be a win when this happen. It didnt this time , so thats it.

Q

QuadeCooperFan

i actually found the image of David Pocock firing up the team right before the final scrum very comforting. My nerves weren't too rattled after seeing his passion.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Havent read through all the posts. Thought the Bokke gave it their best shot. Thought my two Paarl Gym Twin Bokke , Jean de Villiers and Schalk Burger had blinders. Usually when they play like this in whatever team, they are on the right side of the ledger. Unfair really to single out players with the performances they delivered. We dominate 1st phase and the laws or cycle of old school rugby followers like myself will tell you , it should be a win when this happen. It didnt this time , so thats it.

thought your second row were fantastic as well Paarl, you missed steyn and i think the wallabies were lucky that russow went off so early, certainly not disgraced and i loook forward to seeing the new generation boks next year, unlike australia, i dont think the rebuilding process will bring a prolonged period of pain.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
thought your second row were fantastic as well Paarl, you missed steyn and i think the wallabies were lucky that russow went off so early, certainly not disgraced and i loook forward to seeing the new generation boks next year, unlike australia, i dont think the rebuilding process will bring a prolonged period of pain.

Dont think Steyn would have out perform Jean performance. Jean really made some good line breaks. Brussouw, well I felt when he went off , thats it but then I thought Francois Louw had a good game aswell. I have no doubt that we'll be back.

P

potjiekos

To my wallaby bretheren , enjoy the victory!!

As demoralizing as the boks loss was initially, I have to say that in a weird way, I'm glad it happened this way. IMHO a dominant display of percentage rugby, regardless of the final score.
The boks could hold their heads up.... Worthy ambassadors of Saffaland both on and off the field.

Would have been completely gutted, had the wobs run us ragged. This loss should serve as a marker for bok class of 2012.

Kind of looking forward to 2012 and beyond I might add....... Battleship assuming the rightful title of 'the boks no. 1 ...no. 2' and cementing his position as the best hooker in world rugby, would love to see Sarel Pretorius get a run at scrumhalve and Hougaard, FdP 's understudy, move to left wing in place of Habana. Looking forward to seeing more of Juan de Jong, Ashley Johnson and a myriad of talented players in just chomping at the bit.

Beyond that I am eager to see who the boks new coach would be. That is the 60 million rupee question......

*crossing fingers*

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

As demoralizing as the boks loss was initially, I have to say that in a weird way, I'm glad it happened this way. IMHO a dominant display of percentage rugby, regardless of the final score.
The boks could hold their heads up.... Worthy ambassadors of Saffaland both on and off the field.

Would have been completely gutted, had the wobs run us ragged. This loss should serve as a marker for bok class of 2012.

Kind of looking forward to 2012 and beyond I might add....... Battleship assuming the rightful title of 'the boks no. 1 ...no. 2' and cementing his position as the best hooker in world rugby, would love to see Sarel Pretorius get a run at scrumhalve and Hougaard, FdP 's understudy, move to left wing in place of Habana. Looking forward to seeing more of Juan de Jong, Ashley Johnson and a myriad of talented players in just chomping at the bit.

Beyond that I am eager to see who the boks new coach would be. That is the 60 million rupee question......

*crossing fingers*
Rassie wasnt send their for nothing Boet, pretty sure he is in the driving seat for the next coach. If you look at our game over the past our coaches seem to dont get it right with the young guns coming through, its either to quick to replace the old ones (1999 Mallets Teigmans blunder for StinkStert) or to late (2011 Battleship for Smit).

Cant wait to see the real power dust of the Battleship, Bekker, Burger, Brussouw, Lampie era. Look like Jean, Jac Fourie and Habana aint finish yet.

P

potjiekos

--Rassie wasnt send their for nothing Boet, pretty sure he is in the driving seat for the next coach.
..........I pray to the rugbygods that you're spot-on here PB, stranger things have happened.... Hoskins might just surprise us all and appoint Paul Treu!! (LOL)
--Cant wait to see the real power dust of the Battleship, Bekker, Burger, Brussouw, Lampie era. Look like Jean, Jac Fourie and Habana aint finish yet.
........ What a delectably, mouthwatering prospect! So true about JdV, JF as well as Habana.....on current form.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

Agree with this.

I am looking forward to a new coaching regime for the Bok which will play the skills of Hougard (not sold on him at 9 as I think that maybe there are better options such as Vermaak, so perhaps keep in the space on the wing), Lambie and BDP to name a few. I truly hope to see Juan Smith back to his best again a few more times. I still regard him as perhaps the best Blindside Flanker I have seen in the last decade.

A bit of sad end for Smit, FdP and Matfield in particular but all good things must come to an end and they at least went out with heads held high on the big stage, so many others have had their careers ended prematurely through injury so I can't be too upset for them. Even the much maligned Smit had a very good game IMO and perhaps the best he has played for the Bok in some time, if not back to the form that made him one of the very best Hookers in the world.

W

Waylon

I thought the bokke were very very good
They pushed us around in the scrums. They raped our lineout. They dominated field position. They smashed it up all day and recycled the pill
The wallabies were toilet at the set piece and their kicking game was amateurish
The defensive effort was sublime. The Aussies won ugly and snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. "They found a way to win" after years of last minute losses
The Blicks will be ours
Wales are on fire though

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I am looking forward to a new coaching regime for the Bok which will play the skills of Hougard (not sold on him at 9 as I think that maybe there are better options such as Vermaak, so perhaps keep in the space on the wing), Lambie and BDP to name a few.
Vermaak joined the Brutes and will fight for a place with Hougaard like FdP did.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)

*crossing fingers*

I understand what you mean. It'll serve as a good wake up call and it will likely result in a complete overhaul with both coaches and players. Already PdV has quit, and Smit, Botha, Matfield etc. announced their retirement/overseas contracts before the tournament. Can't wait to see how the new Boks shape up, and I think a lot of it will have to do with the coach. Do you South African posters have a clear preference? I'd imagine Coetzee, Meyer and John Mitchell would all be in the running. I think a coach who encourages a more attacking approach whilst maintaining a clear element of the traditional field-position-orientated gameplan. I'm not sure which coach is best suited to this role, but with players like Francois Steyn, Francois Hougaard and Patrick Lambie all up and coming with long-term futures in the side, you'd think it insane to not exploit this.
How do you see the side shaping up over the next couple of seasons? Captaincy is another big issue, with both captain and vice-captain finishing up. Maybe a team looking like the following is on the cards:
1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Flip van der Merwe
5. Andries Bekker (c)
6. Heinrich Brussow
7. Schalk Burger
8. Willem Alberts
9. Francois Hougaard
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Francois Steyn
13. Jaque Fourie
14. JP Pietersen
15. Patrick Lambie

This being said, there'll be a lot of competition in the SA ranks, including:
Props/Hookers: Chilliboy Ralepelle, Werner Kruger, Coenie Oosthuizen
Locks: Alistair Hargreaves, Gerhard_Mostert,
Loose Forwards: Pierre Spies, Ryan Kankowski, Juan Smith, Ashley Johnson, Deon Stegman, Dewald Potgieter
Scrumhalves/Inside Backs: Jaco Vermaak, Charl McLeod, Ruan Pienaar, Juan de Jongh, Elton Jantjies, Peter Grant, Wynand Olivier,
Outside Backs: Robert Ebersohn, Gio Aplon, Bjorn Basson, Gerhard van den Heever, Zane Kirchner

The next few years of 3N Rugby should be incredible with the All Blacks facing a similar 'rebuilding' period with a number of key players moving on and the Wallabies youth brigade (hopefully) approaching their peak. Bring on 2012!

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I am surprised that so many (mainly bok and AB fans) seemed to think that Pocock constantly infringed at the breakdown. I saw the vast majority of his involvements as being completely legal. First man to the ruck, holding his own weight and either slowing the ball down or winning a turnover.

It actually astounded me that Bryce didn't blow more penalties in his favour - there was one in particular about half way through the second half that stands out - he had his hands on the ball on his feet for the entire ruck, as three south africans tried to either hold onto it on the ground or clean him out.

I'd love to see a video of his ruck involvements to see whether I was just looking at it with gold tinted glasses?

Well, I'm definitely not a Bok or NZ supporter and I thought Pocock's hands engaged the ball AFTER the ruck had formed on too many occasions to count. Wallabies were leaving their feet, entering through the side all game long, but Pocock's hands could have been pinged by any other ref.

Again, for me, Pocock played brilliantly. Like McCaw, he recognized the ref was not blowing anything up and adjusted his game accordingly. It was smart, brilliant play.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
No ref would have the balls to give a penalty to the Saffers in that situation.

Agree.

I was surprised the Boks were called for the penalty at the lineout which JOC (James O'Connor) put over to win the game. It was a ridiculous decision

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I disagree. I watched the replays and though the contact was marginal/incidental at best. There was nothing in it. We were bloody lucky. I'd be screaming if the ref had awarded a penalty to the oppo in similar circumstances

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Riptide, you say "I'm definitely not a Bok or NZ supporter", - Where does your support lie?

Status
Not open for further replies.