• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
You blokes have better NEVER whinge about a 0-0 draw in diveball as being uninteresting. You are now on the record. :)

there is a big difference in a 0-0 football match and 11-9 rugby match.

that said, as a football follower as well, even in a 0-0 match its the attitude of that play that makes it great or not. I believe people that saw yesterdays game as crap probably had a very limited emotional involvement in it, otherwise even just the win would be enough to carry you into an emotional orgasm for at least the next week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
was it marred, cos while i agree some went unpunished, ive watched it a couple of times and the least you can say about the ref was he was consistant. which is all you can ask really. it went both ways.

Heh. The first thing I did when I got home after watching both games was to watch the Wallabies game again.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
was it marred, cos while i agree some went unpunished, ive watched it a couple of times and the least you can say about the ref was he was consistant. which is all you can ask really. it went both ways.

so Pat McCabe playing injured was the only thing, so David Pocock playing an absolutely outstanding game means nothing, Vickers and Horwill hitting everything that moved, our scrum standing up against one that would have been confident they could dominate us. JOC (James O'Connor) taking fearless highballs and running through large forwards. Elsom doing a heap of in tight grunt work he will never get recognition for, etc etc etc

there was a heap of people in gold jerseys yesterday that stood as individuals and an even better group that played like a team whos lives depended on it.

south africa had every chance to win that game, there wernt good enough, and a very large part of that was how they were contained by an australian team that deserves credit.

Farce is not what you would call it.

WJ, whilst I detest Growden's cringe-making use of the word 'triumph' to describe quite flawed Wallaby wins, this game in all its courage, grit, correct tackling techniques, relentlessness of application etc, vs 'the most experienced ever' RWC holders who threw the kitchen sink at us, was, in its odd, very flawed way, a genuine Wallaby triumph of a type we have not witnessed for a long, long time. Because it was based upon huge all-of-team mental strength and guts that never stopped for 1 minute of play.

P

potjiekos

@ pete88 .... Most certainly! I deplore the fact that a team would 'willfully' transgress inorder to gain a competitive edge... especially if it is my team, the boks! But other that some of the posters on this thread, I would not go around slapping my back, celebrating it as being an immense defensive effort of sorts.

Btw ....am as docile as a pet chihuahua. Enjoy the win my friend.

@ cyclopath.... The very nature of a forum such as this, is to evoke debate / discussion on one or several topics. Offering differing persectives, not just the popular ones. I would like to think that Im adult enough to distinguish between open debate, idle banter and a shitfight. Im not on here to start one either.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting that instead of nominating our victories in the overal tournament in 1991 and 1999, you have cited games en route to the GF as being "great". I think the Irish scare in 1991 was a pretty important victory as well.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Interesting that instead of nominating our victories in the overal tournament in 1991 and 1999, you have cited games en route to the GF as being "great". I think the Irish scare in 1991 was a pretty important victory as well.

Definitely in 1999 the semi-final was the epic encounter that the final wasn't. We didn't really let France into that game and were in a pretty comfortable position throughout.

In 1991, we obviously snatched victory from the jaws of defeat with Lynagh's last gasp try against the Irish. I don't think that game had anywhere near the tension of the quarter final yesterday.

If we won the final in 2003 then that would also get included, but winning that semi-final against a red hot favourite All Blacks team was incredible.

S

StonerJack

so Pat McCabe playing injured was the only thing, so David Pocock playing an absolutely outstanding game means nothing, Vickers and Horwill hitting everything that moved, our scrum standing up against one that would have been confident they could dominate us. JOC (James O'Connor) taking fearless highballs and running through large forwards. Elsom doing a heap of in tight grunt work he will never get recognition for, etc etc etc

there was a heap of people in gold jerseys yesterday that stood as individuals and an even better group that played like a team whos lives depended on it.

south africa had every chance to win that game, there wernt good enough, and a very large part of that was how they were contained by an australian team that deserves credit.

Farce is not what you would call it.

Starting to understand why you're a rugby fan if you think all of that is 'amazing'. As I said to me the only amazing thing in that game was Pat McCabe. The rest I expected to see. A heap of people in gold jerseys standing as individuals playing like their lives depended on it? I should hope so considering it was a world cup quarter final mate. And I will never say Pocock was amazing in that game. Yes what he did he did very well but I've been a critic of Richie McCaw in the past and no way will I praise Pocock for doing what McCaw does best.

P

pete88

@ pete88 .... Most certainly! I deplore the fact that a team would 'willfully' transgress inorder to gain a competitive edge... especially if it is my team, the boks! But other that some of the posters on this thread, I would not go around slapping my back, celebrating it as being an immense defensive effort of sorts.

Btw ....am as docile as a pet chihuahua. Enjoy the win my friend..

Fair enough, like I say I think the mindset you hate is rampant in every professional rugby team, and every amateur one I've played for and against. I'd also argue that adaptability to what the ref will and won't allow is a praiseworthy skill and part of the game, and Australia's good execution of said skill in this game and (for example) the All Blacks continued excellence in this department are praiseworthy. If not incredibly, incredibly frustrating to lose to. We probably will have to agree to disagree on that last point. Which is fair enough, given the amount of hate Richie McCaw gets here I'm probably in the minority.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Just putting it out there, David Pocock's performance has to be surley one of the greatest individual performances by a Wallaby player.

If not that, at least in the last 10 years, without him we wouldn't of even come close to winning that match.

ti12, not to disagree in any way, but I do think it's wise to remember that such outstanding individual performances can in part be catalysed by the calibre of the attitude of the whole team's efforts. I wouldn't mind betting that in part DP was as inspired by the huge character shown by his team mates for all of 80, just as they would be much uplifted by his.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Starting to understand why you're a rugby fan if you think all of that is 'amazing'. As I said to me the only amazing thing in that game was Pat McCabe. The rest I expected to see. A heap of people in gold jerseys standing as individuals playing like their lives depended on it? I should hope so considering it was a world cup quarter final mate. And I will never say Pocock was amazing in that game. Yes what he did he did very well but I've been a critic of Richie McCaw in the past and no way will I praise Pocock for doing what McCaw does best.

so your not a rugby fan then? i really don't understand your point. you sound angry and bitter. Pat McCabe played well, very well, but his ability and impact is magnified by the fact he played injured. that said he was fantastic. But to throw other players out with the bath water cos you expect it of them, just seems strange, im not sure you have actually made a point to back up why you believe it to be a farse, but whatever i guess. If you cant appreciate a struggle and overcoming the odds and often the wallabies own poor choices to prevail with that win in those circumstances then i guess you might be Eddie Jones.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I thought patrick lambie was great for the boks. great boot, level head and good attack at times. look forward to his future duels with beale/JOC (James O'Connor)

big collective sigh of relief when it was morne steyn and not frans steyn taking that penalty from 55m

I was very very impressed by young Lambie, star of the future

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Has there ever been a more nervewracking scrum than the last one of the game on the halfway line?

I'm kind of surprised the Springboks didn't collapse it in the hope that a 50/50 call might go their way.

No ref would have the balls to give a penalty to the Saffers in that situation.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
There are two sorts of cleanouts that aren't be policed at all, but any referee, and it is starting to really annoy me:

1. Cleanout from in front of the ruck (ie you are past the ruck, but reach back to clean out a defender)
2. Cleaning out by a grapple of the head or neck (which Pocock also did at least once)

Burger's cleanout that I think you are referring to broke both of the above.

I know when my local team faced an opposition that went over the top of rucks & put their hands on the ground & got away with it (we had one ref that we always knew never policed that area) we got taught to do said grapple (no.2) but by wrapping arms around the torso, then it was like a judo throw (crocodile roll). Point is the amount of momentum & force that such a move produces it has me worried that someone, if applying the same to someones neck/head, its only as matter of time before we see a really ugly injury.

Of course when I mean ugly I mean career ending, wheelchair bound injury...

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

Good point WJ about Elsom. Watched the game again without the guts clenched in anticipation of the loss, and Elsom got through a mountain of work in that game. I reckon if KB (Kurtley Beale) has got the pass to him instead of Moore he would have been under the posts in a flash. Great support play.

Status
Not open for further replies.