• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the Wobs are going to have a fantastic game, one where it all comes together at last. Don't know if they can do it two games in a row (let alone three) but I think this will be one we can be proud of.

A little bit of optimism for a change........

there's that optimism word again. Reckon you others are writing them off too early. You've beaten this lot twice already. Am willing to hold Paddy O Brien responsible for most criminal acts occuring in the world today, but I think Lawrence isn't that bad. Prefer him to Joubert

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

nup, I agree with it and said it at the time. I just think the Boks rely on Steyn more than the ABs Carter.

Steyn is both their pressure reliever and also the man that can snag points out of no where. If they aren't making any ground or breaks, then they give it to Steyn to boot it down field or kick it from 50. At the same time they can demoralise the opposition by taking any points on offer.

The All Blacks have attacking alternatives to Carter, and that is part of his success. Nonu outside, Dagg behind, Weepu inside. Take your eye of Carter to cover them and he's through and vice versa.

In saying that, I don't think the kiwis can win three in a row without Carter.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
For someone who introduced himself by requesting us all to stop talking about Wales you mention them an awful lot.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Barnes has been available for selection for the entire Cup to date, as the run of games for Uni and his appearance for the Barbarians attests. He also played off the bench against the USA after Horne was chosen to start ahead of him. Rightly or wrongly, Deans has chosen not to select him.

I'm a huge Barnes fan but even I would have given him some games to show his fitness and form before selecting him in the first team. Which is what he got.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
WTF!!!! Why are some saying Bryce Lawrence would be any MORE favorably for the Boks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you watch him referee OZ vs Russia? The wallabies scrum was clearly dominant but by my count he managed to penalize them 3 to nil.

Oh and most big games he refs end up turning into shit fights as he loses control. A shit fight will favour the likely 10 man rugby tactics of south Africa more than Australia who rely on cleaner rucks to play their ball in hand game. See Wayne barnes reffing aus as an example. (why on earth didn't he get a gig this weekend?)

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
woo guys.

what's done is done. We all know that Australia have won 5/5 last games under Barnes, we have a pretty shite record with Bryce, but his interpretations are his. We may not like them, It can be frustrating, but remember he's a poor old professional that dedicates his time to the game of rugby and cops it. the question we should all be talking about is how can we beat SA with Bryce reffing? What tactics should the wallabies play with? Etc.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the NZ TV commentators are to be believed, Barnes caned the bejesus out of the Boyo's in their game against the Fijians on Sunday in the penalty count.

I think P O'B has instructed the referees to sort out the scrums. Different referees are interpreting P O'B's instructions differently.

If you go looking for negatives in referees performances, I'm sure you will find them.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Wallabies switch to drop-goal mode in bid to beat Springboks in Rugby World Cup 2011 quarter-final
Darren Walton and Jim Morton

Forget the razzle dazzle, Australia have warned South Africa ahead of their Rugby World Cup 2011 quarter-final showdown that two can play the drop-goal game.

The winners of Sunday night's clash will almost certainly earn a semi-final showdown with New Zealand - and the Wallabies are desperate to get there whichever way they can - even if it means resorting to potting drop goals to keep the scoreboard ticking.

Australia have only kicked six drop goals in World Cup history. But Stephen Larkham nailed Australia's most famous, a long-range extra-time pearler at Twickenham, to boot South Africa out of the 1999 World Cup semi-finals, a week before the Wallabies won back the trophy from the Springboks.

So the importance of the three-point practice come World Cup time has not been lost.

Berrick Barnes, who made an impressive return to Australia's midfield against Russia on Saturday in his first Test start of the year, has regularly been seen knocking over drop goals from all angles at training.

He slotted two at the last World Cup in France, while five-eighth Quade Cooper, regarded for his supreme running and passing game, landed four during Queensland's triumphant Super Rugby campaign this year.

"It's another string to your bow and it could become important,'' said coach Robbie Deans.

Take a close look at the Wallabies in New Zealand
"We saw that as recently as in England's game (on Saturday night against Scotland) and both these blokes have been working hard at it.

"Barnesy's always been a good drop-kicker and Quade has been working hard at it ... who knows, it might be relevant.''

"The last few years we've had dialogue about it and it's been something we've been working at, along with goalkicking obviously,'' Deans said.

"I think there probably has been a shift in the mindset, evidenced by Quade getting four drop goals. I don't imagine he got any the year before.

"It's part of the game and you need to turn possession into points because you don't get second chances at the World Cup.

"If we can claim possession, it's another option for us.''

For me, two big positives in this:

a) We're finally starting to adapt a more horses-for-courses approach in regards to tactics, as this is a pretty big change from 'play what's in front of you/throw it anywhere, anytime'.
b) Barnes is likely to be starting over McCabe. Thank God.

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
I've been thinking about the team selections, and I agreed with Barnes at 12. The more I thought about, however, I realized that the best half of football I have seen the Wallabies play for years was the first half of the Bledisloe decider in Brisbane.

We were strong in a every area - set piece, back line combinations, breakdowns, defense. To me it was a complete performance, and as I said, among the best I have ever seen the Wallabies play. I don't think the addition of any player would have improved that performance.

This lead me to thinking that it would be a mistake to make any changes to that team, unless forced by injury. I think they would have beaten any team in the world on that performance. It was certainly good enough to make the number 1 team in the world struggle.

This means that instead of making changes to the players starting, the coaching team should instead be concentrating on doing everything they can to ensure they play that way again, as well as having (and using) a suitable bench for the second half.

We can debate all we like about the individual merits of the players, but the fact remains that they played as a team better than any other group of players we have had for ages.

W

Waylon

Man up ladies

Australia is tri nations champs

You come to the world cup to be the best in the world. You need to be able to beat everybody

Australia beat the bok on bok dirt just a few weeks ago. They were expecting Ireland. Now they have to play the tri nations champs. It's messing with their mojo

Take a deep breath. The wallabies need to turn up mentally. They blow hot and cold

Cooper is due

Cooper will cut them to shreds

The bok are licking their wounds after the Samoans belted them senseless.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
WTF!!!! Why are some saying Bryce Lawrence would be any MORE favorably for the Boks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly.

If we play better than SA, smash them all around the park and the backs use the ball effectively. Bryce couldn't stop us winning if he tried. People are just whinging for the sake of whinging. Looking for excuses already.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Boet they watch the ref and not the rugby. Looking for excuses before the game starts. You dont want to see this thread if they lost. Ref this ref that, all over the show but not surprising.

Myself think the Bokke have more then decent change to take this one. We have grew a lot in defense and grunt since the loss last time while the Wallabies declined in form and even losing to Ireland. Ireland havent done us any favours but at least show what we need to do and play the same blue print like we do. This is the WC and the Bokke regarding Tri Nations will give it their best shot. We also had the tough group between the two and the close games in the WC will put us in great shape. That Wales close game and the Samoa one last week will give us a sharp edge going in this one.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm a huge Barnes fan but even I would have given him some games to show his fitness and form before selecting him in the first team. Which is what he got.

Not to be a pedant, but I'm going to be a pedant. :) You did say he wasn't available for selection, which wasn't the case. Deans CHOSE not to select him when he was fit to play. I'm not really debating the wisdom of that (although I think he should have been on the bench against Ireland), rather just that Dingo had the option and didn't take it.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Boet they watch the ref and not the rugby. Looking for excuses before the game starts. You dont want to see this thread if they lost. Ref this ref that, all over the show but not surprising.

Ah, I see, the classic pre-complain strategy... :D

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Man up ladies

Australia is tri nations champs

You come to the world cup to be the best in the world. You need to be able to beat everybody

Australia beat the bok on bok dirt just a few weeks ago. They were expecting Ireland. Now they have to play the tri nations champs. It's messing with their mojo

Take a deep breath. The wallabies need to turn up mentally. They blow hot and cold

Cooper is due

Cooper will cut them to shreds

The bok are licking their wounds after the Samoans belted them senseless.

A most refreshing amendment to the forum tone, Waylon!

Status
Not open for further replies.