• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
So, today I was told by a Pom at work that the English couldn't care less about rugby and don't even watch it!

I just smiled back with the same grin that hasn't left my face all week.

I love when the Poms lose! Bring on more of it this Sunday!

:D

Looking at their football team, they'll probably tell you they care even less about football too.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
um guys, I HATE to broach this subject so early on in the piece and I know it is HIGHLY unlikely........ but we may need to start making contingency preliminary funeral arrangements.

For the forum.

For if Australia go out of RWC 2015 in the 1st round.

What will happen to the forum? First, I imagine all the foreigners will be told that they are 100% fluffybunnys. Entirely understandable. Then all attention will turn to post-expulsion match thread grievances, fuckin ref, fuckin scrum, etc etc. The RWC itself will play out like a phantom-limb marionette left to the foreigners to fuck around with, yeah whatever, go for your life, all yours fluffybunny, we'll be in the North Wollongong vs Alice Springs Senior B's NPC match thread fuckyuz we dont need ya

if NZ go out in the quarters I will be handcrafting a life-sized effigy of all of 1991, yes, the entire year, than hanging it from my nutsack until either I am dead or my mum comes home

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If Bill doesn't come home on QF1 (LHR-SYD) at the end of RWC2015, then the faithful on here will lineup behind their state colours and there could be a meltdown of similar proportions as were seen in the early days of the "Quade Telling It As It Is", and "Kurtley Beale's Guide to Behaviour", " JOC (James O'Connor) Goooone" threads.

We eat our young in Australia.

Byron Kelliher and Gene Gunston will need to ensure that the Pitcairn Island Server Room at Gunston Inc Worldwide HQ have paid their electricity bills to keep the G&GR server traffic going.

This post will be very useful to save posters some time in their parochial venting. Just fill in the blanks.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...ayers-for-2015-rwc.13663/page-347#post-781902

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Emergency call for Gunston Public Relations to manage impending media crisis in London.

Apparently a minnow with a large ego and huge tickets on itself has been found somewhere out near Heathrow Airport, and the locals don't like it.

Spokesman Gene Gunston said that they would probably need to deploy the GunstonCorp portable emergency crisis server room to handle all the interwebs traffic containing complaints from the locals about the unexpected arrival of the minnow.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
So with the pools looking like:

Pool A - 1 Aus 2 Wales
Pool B - 1 Sa 2 Sco / Jap
Pool C - 1 NZ 2 Arg
Pool D - TBD

QF's will be

1 - SA v Wales
2 - NZ v TBD

3 TBD v Arg
4 Aus v Sco / Jap

Semi's

Wales vs NZ
Aus vs TBD

How do you aussie fans feel about France??? Get that 1987 feeling going on?

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
I notice that NZ will play their QF in the Millennium. I'd really like that to be France as it will not take much to get the AB's up for that.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The improvement in the minnows' performances these last two RWCs has been a joy to watch. So far in RWC2015 we've had Ireland d Canada 50-7, Wales d Uruguay 54-9, New Zealand d Namibia 58-14, Argentina d Georgia 54-9 and Australia record the biggest score and margin so far defeating Uruguay 65-3. No century scores such as Australia's thrashing of Namibia 142-0 in 2003, in fact I don't think there were any century scores at RWC2011 either. edit: just checked there weren't; SAf d Namibia 87-0 was the highest score. And now we have Japan toppling the Boks!

Can only be good for rugby.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
The improvement in the minnows' performances these last two RWCs has been a joy to watch. So far in RWC2015 we've had Ireland d Canada 50-7, Wales d Uruguay 54-9, New Zealand d Namibia 58-14, Argentina d Georgia 54-9 and Australia record the biggest score and margin so far defeating Uruguay 65-3. No century scores such as Australia's thrashing of Namibia 142-0 in 2003, in fact I don't think there were any century scores at RWC2011 either. edit: just checked there weren't; SAf d Namibia 87-0 was the highest score. And now we have Japan toppling the Boks!

Can only be good for rugby.

That's all positive, no doubt. And at this rate, it'll only take three or four more World Cup cycles before some of these minnows start becoming a threat.

World Rugby can do better. If they want rugby to become more of a global game, they'll have to help make the rest of that globe competitive, and they can start by giving minnow nations the same chance at rest and recovery the tier 1 nations get in the tournament. World Rugby has been parachuting professional coaches into minnow nations to help them develop -- do more of that. If there's not going to be straight-out relegation in the Six Nations, at least have the Six Nations wooden spoon play the European Nations winner, so we can see who's really developing and who's regressing. The North American market is largely untapped, underdeveloped and ignored; Waisale Serevi is doing his best to spread the rugby word in the Pacific Northwest, but until there's a clear professional structure and league for players and fans to get behind, that's millions of potential fans and players left behind.

(The Aviva Premiership has looked into developing some kind of North American league. Think that died on the vine. But at some point, I'd rather see a joint USA-Canadian North American side involved in a Super Rugby conference; their development would be better served by Super Rugby's attacking move-into-space approach over the Premiership's always-look-for-contact approach.)

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
[
World Rugby can do better. If they want rugby to become more of a global game, they'll have to help make the rest of that globe competitive, and they can start by giving minnow nations the same chance at rest and recovery the tier 1 nations get in the tournament. World Rugby has been parachuting professional coaches into minnow nations to help them develop -- do more of that. If there's not going to be straight-out relegation in the Six Nations, at least have the Six Nations wooden spoon play the European Nations winner, so we can see who's really developing and who's regressing. The North American market is largely untapped, underdeveloped and ignored; Waisale Serevi is doing his best to spread the rugby word in the Pacific Northwest, but until there's a clear professional structure and league for players and fans to get behind, that's millions of potential fans and players left behind.

(The Aviva Premiership has looked into developing some kind of North American league. Think that died on the vine. But at some point, I'd rather see a joint USA-Canadian North American side involved in a Super Rugby conference; their development would be better served by Super Rugby's attacking move-into-space approach over the Premiership's always-look-for-contact approach.)[/quote]

I think World Rugby have been doing a good job with the international coaches - look at Milton Haig being loaned form the NZRU to Georgia, and I have read comments from a few minnow coaches who have said that WR (World Rugby) have done a lot of good things for them. I agree that what these minnows now need is regular higher level competition - the difficulty of course is the schedules of the teams and giving them some down time. Perhaps the Super Rugby sides could organise tours that are used by them as team preparation, and give the minnows more competition and exposure to different playing styles. I know that the Waratahs toured Argentina a few years back and the Auckland Blues in the past went to France preseason - NZ Maori/Maori AB team have been touring USA and Canada in recent years - I think that these have just been organised between the teams themselves, but more of this sort of thing, perhaps organised at the national level. would benefit the developing countries as well as give our players more exposure.

Imagine if say the Waratahs did a European tour - Russia, Georgia, Romania, Portugal, Spain, Italy - great tour, and exposure to playing in different conditions etc.

Brumbies, with their focus on developing links to the USA could do an Americas tour - Canada, USA, Uruguay, Chile, Argentina - make the Argie bit against club/provincial sides, and the others national or provincial teams.

Rebels have have had Japanese players so they could tour Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Malaysia.

The Force, being linked to Africa could go to Namibia, Kenya, Madagascar, Ivory Coast (who I recall were in the WC some years back). Of course the cost would be the major issue, but the idea is there, just needs the ARU and the Super Rugby sides to have the desire and then talk to the parties concerned in those countries to see how costs can be worked out then look for funding from WR (World Rugby) maybe as part of their international improvement. If you had the NZ and SA Super Rugby sides doing a similar thing then these minnows would be getting a lot of high level rugby exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.