• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2023 - All Blacks pool matches

How far will AB progress?

• A. Won't make it out of the Pool

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • B. Beaten in QF

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • C. Beaten in SF

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • D. Beaten in Final

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • E. ALL THE WAY, BABY!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Cooked from the start. idk what more you can say. Boks were great while Ryan and Schmidt will be very busy for the next few weeks.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Lucky for the ABs it’s only a trial
SA see a RWC coming again
The ref killed the first half, 3 yellow and a red, I still hate the red as it changes the game completely
ABs will be back, only a one off and looks opposite to the rugby champs game between these two, you only need to peak at the right time

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Maximum copium take: some S+C conditioning shenanigans are at play, the attacking scheme is still being kept under wraps since Bledisloe I, it's better to get dusted now than the at the RWC, and definitely not favourites anymore so big pressure is absolutely on France, Ireland, and South Africa.

Might be a few others, but I think this would cover most of it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
We were dicked in forwards big time. We certainly went away from worked for us this season, just simple carry and keep it simple. Boks were very good and worth the very good win. Game was won in first 20 minutes, ABs never ettled, they Boks should be given credit, they stuffed our lineout defence beaurifully by not bringing catcher to ground too quickly, and ABs were setting maul miles to quick! Cards were pretty costly , but all fair enough.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Surely Barrett's second yellow should have been a straight Red. I'm pretty sure a technical red still sees an automatic trip to the judiciary though, would've thought he'll be out for the entire pool stage at least.

Yoda

Billy Sheehan (19)
Surely Barrett's second yellow should have been a straight Red. I'm pretty sure a technical red still sees an automatic trip to the judiciary though, would've thought he'll be out for the entire pool stage at least.
Dumb by Barratt. Shoulder to the head to a bloke on the ground.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Doubt whether it will get a ban, was forearm to shoulder, if it was contact with head was when he bounced of shoulder. Just what I thought (and obviously bunker) , but am relaxed to be proved wrong. Thought it deserved YC though. And same as Boks hit direct to head that was yc, was no more than that either, and said as soon as that happend.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I will add to comments on game, all the Nepo and Ofa etc shouldn't be there got shown to be wrong, after tonight I bet they both on bench at least (depending on Lomax injury) in big games.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Tough game...hard to come back from a start like that.

I don't know who it was but there was a head contact tackle on Mo'unga in the build-up to the first non-try at the end of the first half. I tried to get screen shot of it but can't get it.

Surprised the TMO didn't pick it up...

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Doubt whether it will get a ban, was forearm to shoulder, if it was contact with head was when he bounced of shoulder. Just what I thought (and obviously bunker) , but am relaxed to be proved wrong. Thought it deserved YC though. And same as Boks hit direct to head that was yc, was no more than that either, and said as soon as that happend.
It looks like direct to the head for mine, against a man on the ground makes it significantly worse. It's something Barrett has form for and I'd rate it as worse than his hit on Hooper 4 years ago. I can't see how they mitigate it out if it does go to the judiciary, but I also can't see how the judiciary reaches half the conclusions they do

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It looks like direct to the head for mine, against a man on the ground makes it significantly worse. It's something Barrett has form for and I'd rate it as worse than his hit on Hooper 4 years ago. I can't see how they mitigate it out if it does go to the judiciary, but I also can't see how the judiciary reaches half the conclusions they do
Yep ok, as I said, I saw it as hitting on shoulder, and TMO seemed to agree. I will admit, I only saw it during the game, and haven't gone back and relooked at it, so am happy to be proven wrong anyway.
So if it goes to judiciary are you suggesting he needs an Aussie panel ala Farrell? ;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Tough game...hard to come back from a start like that.

I don't know who it was but there was a head contact tackle on Mo'unga in the build-up to the first non-try at the end of the first half. I tried to get screen shot of it but can't get it.

Surprised the TMO didn't pick it up...
Mate someone else has posted where one of Boks was smacking Jacobson on back of head too, but naa I not worried, TMOs etc check these things pretty well, and I prefer we get less interference from them than have more.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not talking down the result as the score is a big one but the ABs looked shattered from the start. Very heavy legged and the unforced errors work into that as well.

Problem with a score like that is squad confidence.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Everything considered, I thought the ABs put up a pretty good fight for a long time there. Agree with the comment earlier from @Dan54 about going away from what has worked well this year. The little shuffle passes in close contact and offloads look like the ABs against Ireland last year.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
We were dicked in forwards big time. We certainly went away from worked for us this season, just simple carry and keep it simple. Boks were very good and worth the very good win. Game was won in first 20 minutes, ABs never ettled, they Boks should be given credit, they stuffed our lineout defence beaurifully by not bringing catcher to ground too quickly, and ABs were setting maul miles to quick! Cards were pretty costly , but all fair enough.
I disagree about the game being won in the first 20mins. I actually thought the AB's were doing really well with no possession against a team running a lot of big bodies at them. It was almost looking like they were going to keep them scoreless which would have been a big win. Some of the chop tackling and maul defence was really soild and much improved. The technical issues of going early at the lineout they'll tweak. It was unfortunate as it really added to the repeat pressure.

Scott Barrett has become a rather important cog. I'm not sure the AB's look anywhere near as good without him on the field. A fit Brodie Retallick was also missed in this game. Whitelock is still class, but he's definitely looking a percent slower and the lack of some bulk was felt. It was a shame to see some of the play Scott Barrett been pinged for in the past slip back in. It was a sloppy, late cleanout that added little except a yellow/red card. I'd have to look it again but it didn't even look like he was barely coming through the gate as is. The scrum falling apart in the second half is a concern when you have teams like the Boks with their bomb squad depth. France equally have good depth and Ireland are humming pretty well too. Loosing Lomax early really didn't help though. That knee looked a mess. Equally, loosing a third of your lineouts isn't good enough. Took the pressure off the Boks time and time again.

I also felt that the AB's tried to play a little too much ball in places to their detriment. The multiple intercepts spoke to as much where the no look offloads are becoming more predictable than novel. I'm also totally undersold on Beauden Barrett's short kicking game. I can see what their trying to get him to do with finding the space in behind, keep the opposition fullbacks guessing, but he's just not effective enough. He tends to go a little long, pull it out at the wrong time or just doesn't seem to be in sync with his runners because teams are cleaning up easy enough.

I think the AB's will take some positives out of this game. It was a good one for them to have now. A nice wake up for where they need to improve, how they're going to pull themselves out of these types of challenges. Ardie Savea was immense as always, trying to drag this team out of this one. I thought card aside that Cane played well and Cam Roigard continues to impress. He's a big, strong 9 who has some nice hands. I thought Jordie had a good game and has really grown into that 12 jersey. He put on some really solid tackles. Mark Talea is elusive and able to drag in a lot of defenders. They need to capitalise on that more. One or two runs aside it was a quiet one for Richie Mo'unga. Missing that kick wasn't great. After all that pressure a 3-7 scoreline would have been looking pretty good.

Last edited: