• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v URU (Villa Park, Birmingham): POOL A; 9pm (AEST) Sunday 27 September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think we can. McMahon plays 6, 7 and and 8 perfectly well.

Our lineout is already vulnerable enough that we'll need another backrower with height on the bench..........

It's unlikely that the Pooper will play less than 80 mins, so they'll likely come on for Fardy.

notapatrioticboneinme

Sydney Middleton (9)
McMahon ominous in first 30 minutes. Phipps was excellent (behind dom. scrum); Cooper (again behind dom. scrum) wish he could kick, had a shocker with boot; Toby Smith worth taking just for that match, worked hard; Beale a natural

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
So the good news is our best player outside the 1st 23 is an openside flanker the bad news is the two best players in the 1st team are openside flankers.

Backline still stuttering & other than McMahon nobody really put any pressure on last Thursday's bench players to ride the pine at twickers on the weekend.

After watching Wales V England & the pressure kicks Biggar & Farrell slotted from all over the park our goal kicking is a real concern, let's hope Foley keeps his form from Chicago & Cardiff.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Our lineout is already vulnerable enough that we'll need another backrower with height on the bench....

It's unlikely that the Pooper will play less than 80 mins, so they'll likely come on for Fardy.

Why doesn't a lock with height satisfy that requirement?

Lineouts are important but we don't need to design our game around them.

G

galumay

I'm really struggling to understand how serious people are being in this thread.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Yep, we just won by the biggest margin, with the highest score of the tournament!

I still don't believe Cheika's selections for ENG are influenced by performances in this match, injuries yes.

There isn't so much an A and B team as such, there is a team of 31, out of which 23 get selected for each game.

Stop fretting about the place kicks, ENG & WAL needed to kick at 100% because they can't score tries. As long as they are still worth 5 points we are ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Greg Martin ....To'omua looked rock solid??? I don't know just looked super 15 to me... backline would love to see Genia,cooper,gits,Kurin,AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper),Mitch and Izzy. Just because they could play scarey good attack if they click and they're due......reserves Foley,To'omua,Phipps if it doesn't work. Won't happen ,we'll try and be safe and the Poms will love that....remember when Aussie back lines played " running Rugby" loved some of those passes tonight...Good to watch

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Why doesn't a lock with height satisfy that requirement?

Lineouts are important but we don't need to design our game around them.

We can't play with only two jumping options.........

Our lineout has already been operating poorly that we don't want to do anything to further diminish it............

We'll have one lock on the bench, and another backrower that will likely be McCalman.

McMahon was once again excellent, but we can't carry another small backrower with the Pooper.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
We can't play with only two jumping options...

Our lineout has already been operating poorly that we don't want to do anything to further diminish it....

We'll have one lock on the bench, and another backrower that will likely be McCalman.

That doesn't make sense. No one is suggesting we play with two jumping options. We're already starting with three: Simmons, Fardy and Douglas. Also two secondaries: Pocock and Hooper, who will play the 80. We're not playing lineouts, we're playing rugby. Do we really need two jumping options on the bench? No, we don't. We need one.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
We can't play with only two jumping options...

Our lineout has already been operating poorly that we don't want to do anything to further diminish it....

McMahon was once again excellent, but we can't carry another small backrower with the Pooper.

I assume Mumm is the reserve lock so we'll still have 3 jumpers when he comes on. So McCalman's lineout use will presumably be a pretty minor consideration against McMahon for the other bench spot. It would be far more significant if Skelton was the reserve lock.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That doesn't make sense. No one is suggesting we play with two jumping options. We're starting with three main jumping options: Simmons, Fardy and Douglas. Also two secondaries: Pocock and Hooper. Do we really need two on the bench?

Yes.

It's unlikely we're going to sub one of the Pooper.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So what did we learn from this match....

Tommua made no claim to unsurp Giteau so lets put that suggestion to start him instead of Giteau to bed...as Giteau form wise been one of our most consistent backs outside of Folau

Mcmahon likely bench candidate......as offers a great deal...we have enough jumpers with mumm other reserve lock - Skelton if not ruled out by injury should be dropped from 23 as great long term potential but no a game 23 player at this stage with other options...

Beale showed enough to suggest worthy to retain reserve back candidate status..noting more...

Mitchell....up and down...in short best backup option to Horne but did not do enough to unsurp Horne...

Phipps...nope....Giteau still in front....

Cooper....the usual erractic performance between disaster and brilliance ....no thanks not for key RWC games...Foley still front running at this stage....those still saying Copper should start are dreaming....

Spreight...think we have seen best past him...as well as Tommane....unlikely to be first choice wallabies...

Palu....thanks for the memories but he is yesterday's player....unlikely to ever play test rugby after this RWC as other players moved ahead...

Mccalman....good backup option.....behind pocock and mcmahon but won't win a bench spot unless injury....

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
So what did we learn from this match..

Tommua made no claim to unsurp Giteau so lets put that suggestion to start him instead of Giteau to bed.as Giteau form wise been one of our most consistent backs outside of Folau

Mcmahon likely bench candidate..as offers a great deal.we have enough jumpers with mumm other reserve lock - Skelton if not ruled out by injury should be dropped from 23 as great long term potential but no a game 23 player at this stage with other options.

Beale showed enough to suggest worthy to retain reserve back candidate status..noting more.

Mitchell..up and down.in short best backup option to Horne but did not do enough to unsurp Horne.

Phipps.nope..Giteau still in front..

Cooper..the usual erractic performance between disaster and brilliance ..no thanks not for key RWC games.Foley still front running at this stage..those still saying Copper should start are dreaming..

Spreight.think we have seen best past him.as well as Tommane..unlikely to be first choice wallabies.

Palu..thanks for the memories but he is yesterday's player..unlikely to ever play test rugby after this RWC as other players moved ahead.

Mccalman..good backup option...behind pocock and mcmahon but won't win a bench spot unless injury..

I thought Phipps was pretty faultless today. May have played himself in.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yep, we just won by the biggest margin, with the highest score of the tournament!

I still don't believe Cheika's selections for ENG are influenced by performances in this match, injuries yes.

There isn't so much an A and B team as such, there is a team of 31, out of which 23 get selected for each game.

Stop fretting about the place kicks, ENG & WAL needed to kick at 100% because they can't score tries. As long as they are still worth 5 points we are ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rubbish - whilst penalties are worth 3 points we need a decent kicker for key big games...

I can think of so many games so far already won by penalties against sides who have scored more tries.......

Against quality sides like England and Wales where close contests if we don't have decent kicker we are screwed....and hence rest my case that unless Giteau seen as kicker - Foley is shoe in over Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.