• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Australia v Fiji - 23 September 16:45, Millenium Stadium(24 September 1:45 AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Kick-off is in 15 days, 15 hours and 30-odd minutes.

Fiji are the dark horses in Pool A. They're opening the RWC against the Soap Dodgers and I'll be unsurprised if they not only cause some serious stress for the Poms, but go close to winning the match.

It’s probably in our interests to focus on the tight and scrum the bastards into the turf.

Thoughts?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I would not normally venture to be a pedant re such things, but given this may be alarm clock setting time for posters getting up in the small hours to view this match, I think the correct Aus East Coast time for it is in fact:

>> 1:45am AEST on 24/9, yes?, namely + 9 hrs to UK BST.

Edit: Aus DST starts on October 4, 2015 and this will mean varying times for QLD 'vs the rest' from early that morning and thus for the Aus v England game that day.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You are correct RedsHappy.

The trap for young players here is going to be when Australia starts daylight saving on Sunday 4th October and then the UK ends daylight saving on Sunday 25th October.

El Jefe

Stan Wickham (3)
I'll be there too - will be my first visit to Europe. Alas, this is the only game I could get to.

D

daz

It’s probably in our interests to focus on the tight and scrum the bastards into the turf.

Thoughts?

Nah, the way to beat Fiji is via good 'ol Australian running rugby, just like the way our 7's team beat them, week in and week out.

o_O :p

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Are you suggesting we go with all six back three players for this one - maybe drop out the loose forwards?:p

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
In the past we have not had too many issues with the Fijians (except in the 1950s when they beat us twice) unlike the Tongans in 1973 and more recently those pesky Samoans. Having said that it seems that they are more organised these days with new coaching staff etc. It is a good thing that we follow the Poms in playing them - hopefully they take the sting out of them....then again if the Fijians beat the Poms - different story. My main hope is that we play good tight rugby and in the second half after we wear them down our backs begin to show the promise that they have Promised all year! Main concern for me is that we do not get any injuries with the big high flying Fijians. Lovely people but when they take the rugby field - different story and fair enough.

All the best boys!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The best way to beat them will be to put the acid on in the set pieces and at the break down, get them back pedalling and then go wide. We don't want to get into basketball rugby with these guys because they are masters at it. Up in their faces and shut down the space is the order of the day.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
While both sides gain on the dry track that Millennium provides, the Fijiians will gain a lot more relatively. Still, they "shouldn't" be a problem, especially given that they're coming off the short break of the Tournament opener and the Wallabies are planning on using the same starting XV that'll play against England.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Fiji arguably have better first choice halves (at least in terms of form) and better wingers than us - if Nadolo is back to full fitness they definitely have better wingers. Folau is superior at full back, centres we have a slight edge. Their 2nd row and back row is very good - different style to ours. Athletically they're better but the question is whether they can match up technically and physically in the tight. I think they can match up physically but we should have an advantage at the breakdown. From what I've seen in recent matches Fiji's kicking game has been consistently good.

The big weakness they have, and the big advantage for us is the front row. They also lack depth in some key positions and I think there's some question marks about their defence.

Who really knows with Fiji! It could be close or we could win by 40.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You need to shut down the Octopus as well. There wouldn't be a back in the world who wouldn't want to be running off Naka at this moment, he's in ridiculous touch.

Highlights video isn't the best of quality, but he's amazing.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Fiji arguably have better first choice halves (at least in terms of form) and better wingers than us - if Nadolo is back to full fitness they definitely have better wingers. Folau is superior at full back, centres we have a slight edge. Their 2nd row and back row is very good - different style to ours. Athletically they're better but the question is whether they can match up technically and physically in the tight. I think they can match up physically but we should have an advantage at the breakdown. From what I've seen in recent matches Fiji's kicking game has been consistently good.

The big weakness they have, and the big advantage for us is the front row. They also lack depth in some key positions and I think there's some question marks about their defence.

Who really knows with Fiji! It could be close or we could win by 40.

I thought Nadolo played 13 for Fiji, am I mistaken?

Status
Not open for further replies.