• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Australia v Fiji - 23 September 16:45, Millenium Stadium(24 September 1:45 AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He played on the wing against Canada but I think he's been in the centres more often than not.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Played a lot of 12 in last year's PNC (Pacific Nations Cup).

Won't play 13 in any regard.

Nayacaleavu (can't spell it, but stade francais centre) is too good.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm confident that we'll choke Fiji out of this game comfortably. Pooper will make it almost impossible for them to get out of their half. penalty at the breakdown, kick for the corner, driving maul. rinse, repeat

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought Nadolo played 13 for Fiji, am I mistaken?

He played 12 last year but hasn't played there in any match this season. He missed the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) but was on the wing when he got injured against the Maori and again against Canada last weekend. He looked in need of the run against Canada.

But he's potentially a Lomu-esque weapon on the wing for Fiji and they have good options at 12 in Lovobalavu and Botia. It's also Matavesi's preferred position but he'll be playing at 10.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Played a lot of 12 in last year's PNC (Pacific Nations Cup).

Won't play 13 in any regard.

Nayacaleavu (can't spell it, but stade francais centre) is too good.

I think he's played more on the wing. Goneva from Leicester Tigers has been starting at 13.

Fiji don't lack for depth out wide! Timoci Nagusa didn't even make the squad and he's a freak.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm confident that we'll choke Fiji out of this game comfortably. Pooper will make it almost impossible for them to get out of their half. penalty at the breakdown, kick for the corner, driving maul. rinse, repeat

I think people are getting way too carried away on Fiji. They won't get close to England or Australia. Wales maybe but should still win comfortably. Keep it tight all game and Fiji won't handle it.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am guessing that we will not start the Pooper against Fiji. We will most likely have McCalman at 8 and one of the Poopers on the bench.
We need strong set piece (including lineout) and breakdown presence.

I think Cheika will keep the start Pooper for the English game and not give them a look at it until then.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I am guessing that we will not start the Pooper against Fiji. We will most likely have McCalman at 8 and one of the Poopers on the bench.
We need strong set piece (including lineout) and breakdown presence.

I think Cheika will keep the start Pooper for the English game and not give them a look at it until then.

Although the article you posted on the other thread clearly implies that the objective of having the 2 separate sides is to avoid any player having to play 2 games inside a week. Assuming the plan is to play Pocock/Hooper v England, then they will also need to play v Fiji and then rest v Uruguay.

I'm assuming they'll start v Fiji. I think the statement that this selection policy is for the opening 2 games is just to allow for injuries and/or any clear flaws in the selections. Barring that the Fiji team will be the A team for the entire tournament.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...g-two-pool-games/story-fndpt9s1-1227519937487

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The other thing to note from the article is that for the Fiji and Uruguay games it looks like we are going back to the good old days of the starting XV playing the whole match with the bench only being used for injuries. That said, you'd probably expect that Toby Smith will get time off the bench in both games. But he will be the exception not the rule.

D

daz

Are you suggesting we go with all six back three players for this one - maybe drop out the loose forwards?:p

Just saying that a traditional Fijian team consists of 2 guys for the set pieces and 13 wingers.

:D

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Although the article you posted on the other thread clearly implies that the objective of having the 2 separate sides is to avoid any player having to play 2 games inside a week. Assuming the plan is to play Pocock/Hooper v England, then they will also need to play v Fiji and then rest v Uruguay.

I'm assuming they'll start v Fiji. I think the statement that this selection policy is for the opening 2 games is just to allow for injuries and/or any clear flaws in the selections. Barring that the Fiji team will be the A team for the entire tournament.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...g-two-pool-games/story-fndpt9s1-1227519937487
At least one prop, the two hookers and the two half backs will be in the 23 for the first two tests. Maybe others as well, like Beale or Izzy. A very good chance that some of them will be seeing game time against both Fiji and Uraguay, and for that matter against England as well.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
At least one prop, the two hookers and the two half backs will be in the 23 for the first two tests. Maybe others as well, like Beale or Izzy. A very good chance that some of them will be seeing game time against both Fiji and Uraguay, and for that matter against England as well.

For the England game yes, the reserves will be used. Minimally for the two preceding games though.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
For this game I expect the Wobs to maul a lot from lineout, keep the ball in the scrum, get the penalty and then have a go; and roll from set piece to set piece.

Kick their goals and just grind for a goodly length of time.

The last thing we want to see is a free for all chuck it wide contest against this lot

We will then rollout the fresh reserves and turn it on in the last quarter as they tire.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think people are getting way too carried away on Fiji. They won't get close to England or Australia. Wales maybe but should still win comfortably. Keep it tight all game and Fiji won't handle it.

How many Fiji matches have you watched recently?

Wales beat them 17-13 last November, and from a relative perspective Fiji have probably improved more than any other team in this pool since then.

The Fijian forwards all play professionally in Europe, most of them in France. The back 5 in the scrum are top-level players. To say they can't handle it in tight is a stereotype - their players are used to that style of rugby at club level. If anything they're probably more exposed to it than our guys.

Maybe Fiji will come out and perform poorly, but the signs all point to them being very competitive.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
If we play Hooper/Pocock/Fardy as our Backrow, we'll win the breakdown. That's always a nice start.

Couple that with what should be a dominant scrum and Fiji will be behind the 8-ball.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If we play Hooper/Pocock/Fardy as our Backrow, we'll win the breakdown. That's always a nice start.

Couple that with what should be a dominant scrum and Fiji will be behind the 8-ball.

I would play against Fiji

6 Fardy
7 Pocock
8 McCalman

and play Brumbie ball

So

1 Sio
2 Moore
3 Kepu
4 Simmons
5 Douglas
6 Fardy
7 Pocock
8 McCalman
9 Genia
10 Foley
11 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12 To'omua
13 Kuridrani
14 Mtchell
15 Folau

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm pretty sure that it's been stated that the intention is to start the same team v Fiji as what is planned for the England game, with the Uruguay game allowing all of those players to rest. There will be minimal subs in the first 2 games. That said, I'm sure the bench for the Fiji game will reflect a plan B if it's required. If they aren't planning to stick to that then they would have taken Hanson.

Further to that, I'm not sure why all the headlines on this over the past 24 hours, the coaches spoke on this not long after the squad was announced. Maybe it's just that they have confirmed it to be the plan.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fiji definitely have a good chance of beating Wales...........

I think our game against them will be similar to the USA one last week - a reasonable first half scoreline followed by a blowout.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
If we're fair dinkum about being a top tier side and getting out of our group, let alone winning the comp, we need to play our best XV and win handsomely against Fiji. I want to see an utterly ruthless performance and taking every single point on offer. We don't want to give Fiji even a sniff. You can be sure England won't be and will grind them into the turf in the first game.

Status
Not open for further replies.