• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Australia v Fiji - 23 September 16:45, Millenium Stadium(24 September 1:45 AEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Um. have you watched England for the past 3 matches?

I also reckon teams like the Orcs tend to fire up against us too, regardless of recent form. As do we I guess. Neither need too much motivation + now it's a RWC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Lots of criticism on this thread for Douglas and most posters think Simmons went well. I don't think the ruck involvements back this sentiment up at all; in fact I would say from these numbers Simmons was one of our worst, along with all the front row. Cheika, by reputation, demands big efforts from his tight five but on this display and these numbers I don't think so. I am looking forward to the Uruguay game to see if there is any improvement, notwithstanding that the level of opposition will be lower.

That being said, I thought Fiji played very well and a lot of commentary on this thread expected them to be poor and assumed they must have been; ergo we were horrible. Fiji were good; last night they would have given the pommes a real run for their money.

I think both locks were below-par. I think Douglas is getting more criticism because his role is different - he isn't a workmanlike lock like Simmons - we expect impact and aggression from him - which I didn't see.

Simmons we have less expectations of because his role is different- he just needs to up his workload around the park and continue his line-out work and his role is satisfied.

So IMO Douglas has more room to improve if we are going to see his 2014 super xv form transferred to test rugby - where he was smashing guys at the rucks, being aggression, putting on big hits etc.

Otherwise we might as well play Mumm, or chosen Horwill.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I think both locks were below-par. I think Douglas is getting more criticism because his role is different - he isn't a workmanlike lock like Simmons - we expect impact and aggression from him - which I didn't see.

Simmons we have less expectations of because his role is different- he just needs to up his workload around the park and continue his line-out work and his role is satisfied.

So IMO Douglas has more room to improve if we are going to see his 2014 super xv form transferred to test rugby - where he was smashing guys at the rucks, being aggression, putting on big hits etc.

Otherwise we might as well play Mumm, or chosen Horwill.

To some degree, how hard the tight 5 can work depends on where the opposition is playing. Fiji works hard at hitting the wide channels. WBs almost said, if you think you're good enough go for it. Ie our defence stood inside the 5yard train tracks.

Unless we were going to park the tight 5 at wing/out centre in the train tracks, defensive involvement was always going to be with the loosies. Really good to see those backs manning up to it as well. I though AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a blinder and Horne is showing me my error of judgement (thought there were better options).

England and Wales will be different, and I would hope for an increase in involvement from the tight 5 to match the opposition.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I definitely think both our starting locks can play better than that. I don't think they're deserving of much criticism though (mainly Douglas. Simmons played well and hasn't really been criticised).

Let's not forget though that the first 50 minutes we were in pretty strong control of the game, our lineout was excellent and our scrum was solid.

There was nothing there to suggest that the same pair won't continue to start in our big games.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Why? I love hearing the crowd singing. The atmosphere is brilliant. I have very few things I want to do before my card gets punched off, but home matches at Cardiff Arms Park, Lansdowne Road and Twickenham are on the list.

The big thing was that England weren't playing in this match.

Yes, the atmosphere at MS is excellent. but to sing a supporter song of a team that isn't playing is very weird and downright rude.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Yes, the atmosphere at MS is excellent. but to sing a supporter song of a team that isn't playing is very weird and downright rude.

Rude? Come on mate at least they came to watch the match. They were just singing whatever to get the atmosphere going. I'm impressed with the numbers that came to watch!

Is it rude to do the mexican wave... they aren't even mexican?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To some degree, how hard the tight 5 can work depends on where the opposition is playing. Fiji works hard at hitting the wide channels. WBs almost said, if you think you're good enough go for it. Ie our defence stood inside the 5yard train tracks.

Unless we were going to park the tight 5 at wing/out centre in the train tracks, defensive involvement was always going to be with the loosies. Really good to see those backs manning up to it as well. I though AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had a blinder and Horne is showing me my error of judgement (thought there were better options).

England and Wales will be different, and I would hope for an increase in involvement from the tight 5 to match the opposition.

Nice point. But for me, its not so much an increase in involvement but an increase in impact. Maybe Simmons can increase his involvement, but I expect Douglas who has a different role to have more impact.

I'm okay with a smaller amount of involvements from him compared to Simmons or the backrow as long as he is being aggressive, making hits, cleaning out hard etc. - what he is in the team for.

I hope Douglas increases his impact and Simmons his workload for the matches against England.

Moore is also below his usual standard. I'm pretty happy with the other forwards.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I
Nice point. But for me, its not so much an increase in involvement but an increase in impact. Maybe Simmons can increase his involvement, but I expect Douglas who has a different role to have more impact.

I'm okay with a smaller amount of involvements from him compared to Simmons or the backrow as long as he is being aggressive, making hits, cleaning out hard etc. - what he is in the team for.

I hope Douglas increases his impact and Simmons his workload for the matches against England.

Moore is also below his usual standard. I'm pretty happy with the other forwards.

Agree Seb, more a note around the (excellent) stats from ForceFan and involvements. They will want to kick up a cog for Wales/England. Hope Slips is OK.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Mr Doug, some wise words, I was in Cardiff, but not at the match talked with many Australians most seemed level headed and were happy with the win,

Dai bando, yes, most Wallabies players and supporters are 'level-headed', (read 'flat-headed'), which comes from being belted by the All Blacks and their 'cocky' supporters for many years!
You may be interested to know that, after her English "in-laws" chose to barrak for Fiji, our Daughter has decided to make Wales her 'second team'!!
Not entirely unexpected, given that my Mother was a Thomas.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Why? I love hearing the crowd singing. The atmosphere is brilliant. I have very few things I want to do before my card gets punched off, but home matches at Cardiff Arms Park, Lansdowne Road and Twickenham are on the list. Might just happen next year - a Gaggerite EOYT might have to happen if I can convince the boys? :) Some serious points will have to be earned between now and then.

Gnostic I hope you get your wish speaking as someone who was at the old Cardiff Arms park in the late eight's (i was interested neutral) a couple of time to see the Walsh play it was like being in a chaedral with the singing but i have to say that the english sing swing low was not what great as it didn't really apply to either team.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

But they're English, so the comment is a bit unfair. They only know two songs - Sweet Chariot and God save the Queen.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
But they're English, so the comment is a bit unfair. They only know two songs - Sweet Chariot and God save the Queen.
No ....the poms also have "we are the champions" which hasn't helped much in the soccer wc ,"Jerusalem " and why not "Ace of Spades by Motorhead - Go Lemmy !

Status
Not open for further replies.