• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: FIJ v WAL (Millenium): POOL A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Are you looking at what happens on the ground, or Cuthbert giving the ball an overhand smash forward into the ground and no one even blinking?

This might be a better version of that clip -- the gif drops a few frames.

Thanks for that, there certainly appears to be a deliberate knock-on in there as well as player on the ground holding on.

Lets's take Fiji and Wales out of this. Does anyone on here seriously doubt that if that was a Tier 1 nation on hard attack and a Tier 2 nation scrambling to defend that most referees in this tournament would have found a penalty for the Tier 1 team?

See Lacey's effort to find a penalty against Fiji in post 238.:)

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I heard Ickle on the commentary the other day explaining that they kick to gain metres quickly, which is fine provided that the kick follow up is competitive, which atm it isn't. Davies persistently kicks to far

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
If you are referring to what happens after the loose ball is picked up, the Fijians clearly arent attacking the ball, but the space in front of it, which quite frankly is sealing off

They look like they are attacking the ball to me. They're 7 behind, hard on attack - they want quick ball.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I had a very busy day yesterday and didn't have time to come on here, it seems the ref favoured the Welsh according to many here, If Cuthbert deliberately knocked on it was the only thing he did all game so well done Cuthbert I thought you did sod all,

I have a friend who used to be a ref and at quite a high standard, he was asked once, why are there so many penalties in a game, This is what he said,
In a game of rugby you could penalise every ruck, every scrum, the skill is what to let go.

I thought that Fiji got away with quite a lot too, on the whole I thought it balanced out quite evenly.
good luck tonight lads, you need to beat England, because you have us next:)

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
incidentally in the clip that shows Cuthbert knocking on, or whatever you think he did, he ripped the ball out of the attackers hand, perfectly legal, it also went backward.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Very dim view taking on stamping in this day and age. fiji has done themselves no favours with their discipline this tournament.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Full Presser from the RWC Web site here:
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/105943

Manasa Saulo (Fiji) has been suspended for 10 weeks after admitting an act of foul play contrary to Law 10.4(b) (stamping).

Following a review of video footage, Saulo was cited by Independent Citing Commissioner Bruce Kuklinski (Canada) under Law 10.4(b) for stamping the head of an opponent (Luke Charteris (WAL)) in the Rugby World Cup 2015 Pool A match against Wales in Cardiff on 1 October.

Saulo was suspended by Independent Judicial Officer Adam Casselden (Australia) in accordance with the Rugby World Cup 2015 disciplinary process.

Having conducted a detailed review of all the evidence available, including all video footage and additional evidence from the player and submissions from his legal representative Chris Smith of Lewis Silkin, the Judicial Officer upheld the citing under Law 10.4(b).

With respect to the sanction, the offence was deemed to be the top end which has an entry point of at least nine weeks. The Judicial Officer determined that this case warranted an entry point of 16 weeks. However, taking into account mitigating factors including his early admission, disciplinary record, good character and remorse and the absence of any off-field aggravating factors, the player was suspended for a period of 10 weeks.

In the context of the Rugby World Cup a week equates to one match. The suspension takes effect immediately, therefore Saulo is suspended for Fiji’s last Rugby World Cup 2015 match against Uruguay scheduled to be played on Tuesday, 6 October and thereafter the suspension will run up to and include 16 January, 2016. He is free to resume playing on 17 January, 2016. The player’s suspension is subject to confirmation of his club’s domestic and European playing schedule for the coming season.

The player has 48 hours in which to appeal from the time he receives the full decision. The full judgment will be available within the next 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.