• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Final - New Zealand v South Africa 29/10/23, 0800 NZDT

Who wins & after how long?

• New Zealand

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • South Africa

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • 80 minutes

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Extra Time (2 x 10 minutes)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Sudden Death Extra Time (max. 10 minutes)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Penalty Kick Shootout (max. five kickers per team)

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm not an ABs fan but I'm pulling for them now. Barnes & the TMO having a stinker. Makes me irrationally angry.

First yellow isn't a yellow. They didn't upgrade it (lol) because he just fell on the leg. Why was he off in the first instance then. Openly admitted he got a penalty which they kicked three from wrong. Red speaks for itself. Total madness.

Barnes has spent 16 years rehabilitating his reputation in the eyes of the Kiwis. Only to bugger all that up today.

This one I found odd. He got it wrong. The penalty hadn't been kicked at that point. Stop. Pack scrum and move on. Gifting 3 points for a mistake in a ding-dong like that game? I really didn't get that one.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Looks like WR (World Rugby) will have their hands full after this one. The Mbonambi thing and now a red card in a final.

Glad to be a neutral (sorta).

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not nearly as gutted as i would've thought had you told be the result etc (& esp the etc) pre-match, probably as I never really expected AB to progress past QF. That said, once your team makes the Final you obviously want them to win it but somehow it doesn't hurt as much when they don't vs going in half-expecting the W.

Hats off to SA, they rode their (plentiful imo) luck, stuck to their plan & got the result.

Siya Kolisi, what a human!

As a player though give me PSdT any day of the week & twice on GF day.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Not nearly as gutted as i would've thought had you told be the result etc (& esp the etc) pre-match, probably as I never really expected AB to progress past QF. That said, once your team makes the Final you obviously want them to win it but somehow it doesn't hurt as much when they don't vs going in half-expecting the W.

Hats off to SA, they rode their (plentiful imo) luck, stuck to their plan & got the result.

As a player though give me PSdT any day of the week & twice on GF day.
Feel a bit sorry for the AB's in this one. I really want to see more positive play rewarded in the game. The winning from penalties is never a satisfying direction.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The ref handed the game to the Springboks.

I don't think so. Like @Bullrush says, AB had opportunities & could've won regardless of the howler.

The All Blacks were a muxh better team.

SA executed their plan way better than AB who frankly looked desperate most of the time. Agree with @zer0 they should've got DMac out there a lot sooner & hooked Beaugan not RMo.

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
I don't think so. Like @Bullrush says, AB had opportunities & could've won regardless of the howler.

SA executed their plan way better than AB who frankly looked desperate most of the time. Agree with @zer0 they should've got DMac out there a lot sooner & hooked Beaugan not RMo.

etzebeth should have been given a Red card if Cane was given one.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Mo’unga kicks the conversion or Jordie hits that penalty and it could have been a different story.

Agree with both you and @zer0 re: DMac

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I am/was disappointed obviously, but that's the way some games go. Was funny, I wasn't as wound up for this game as I can be for finals or was for Irish QF. But anyway Boks won and so good on them, for ABs, doesn't make any difference to me, I an AB man and a loss won't change it, neither am I feeling overly despondent, my life or haapiness can't or won't be defined on how a team I support, but really don't know presonally etc goes on the rugby field. I didn't se ant player not giving it his everything.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Feel a bit sorry for the AB's in this one. I really want to see more positive play rewarded in the game. The winning from penalties is never a satisfying direction.
this for me. the three best teams (Ireland, France and AB's) that can actually play Rugby in all its dimensions, have some attacking flair and can defend as well, get beaten by a limited (but clearly effective) game plan based on brute strength and kicking. and the officiating imo left a bit to be desired.