• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Oct 15 2023 1/8 Final Ire vs NZ.

Ire vs NZ

• Go Ireland

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Go NZ

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Go the TMO

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Go f**** yourself

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Go home, RWC finished last week

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • this pole started nicely enough then took on a bit of a negative turn

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I will say that is what I call a test match. I am stoked, and waiting for all the Sam Cane knockers etc to step up and tell us he shouldn't be there!
But as I calm down after I know I will feel pretty happy.
I could of even handled if we lost at end because I know I hasd seen a team (well 2 teams ) give 100%, and neither has anything left!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Maybe centralisation isn't the model we should follow? The golden generation of Ireland still can't make it into the semis.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
NZ got the win through the Forwards. Front row stepped up and NZ won the backrow battle.

Smart Irish fans had their flights already booked for tomorrow.

All the 50-50s went the Irish way, 2 yellows against NZ.

Porter needs to worry about playing footy rather than whinging.

Ireland looked most likely through Aki & Ringrose but they didn’t get them enough 1v1 opportunities. Part of me loves seeing Sexton not get it.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
What an amazing effort. Lead right from the front from an all time Sam Cane performance. They all left everything out there. Our loosies were just better tonight, simple as. Matched them up front throughout, insane guts. 4 turnovers from the AB's to Ireland's 11. I've got nothing but plaudits. I'm still buzzing.

Ireland were just as good, it's no bloody solace that they played well and still lost but they can be proud. Kiwi fans know all about what it's like to have the best side and not come away with the goods. It sucks, feel for them.

..then again, constantly watching Sexton bitch and moan his entire career, Lowe carry on like a muppet, and the "shit Richie McCaw" sledge. I have that sneaky 'get fucked' feeling too.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
NZ got the win through the Forwards. Front row stepped up and NZ won the backrow battle.

Couldn’t agree more. Had a few of my son’s rugby team over watching the game and I turned to one of the props at the end and said

“This is why we keep practicing scrums.”

Right thru the game we just kept looking at who was winning the contact areas….the AB forwards were immense today.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
PT+YC clear evidence that particular Law is an Ass being ridden backwards: 99% of close-range line drives involve clear & obvious obstruction therefore the player(s) in front of the ball carrier should be fair game provided the tackle is made above the knees, isn't high & the tackler comes from an onside position.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
That was a cracker as a neutral. I figured it would be close, but I thought Ireland had the goods, but they've still got the quarter final hoodoo.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Absolutely shattered for Ireland, but all credit to NZ, they played consistently well all game with a clear plan and as other have pointed out fronted up, up front. Ireland's scrum and lineout were a little behind all game (lineout hasn't been 100% all tournament actually) and there were some sliding doors moments with some missed opportunities that they really needed to take. The held up possible try and that kick pass opportunity from Mack Hansen to Ireland's right wing being two genuine chances.

Actually Mack going off and no longer being that second pivot I think changed the shape of Ireland's attack a lot in that final quarter.

Psychologically, chasing all game I think also played a big part. Ireland just felt a little off their best and to NZ's credit never got their rhythm. I thought Bundie had a great game and you couldn't ask for more. Doris minus that knock on (see mental game) also had a great game.

For NZ I thought Jordie had an especially great game, as did most of the forwards. Cane and Ardie were in everything right until the end.

It was a shame this game wasn't a Semi as that Ireland team deserved to get past the quarters finally and would have beaten Wales/Argentina and England/Fiji convincingly I suspect had things lined up a little different for them.

It's interesting after all the NH dominance chatter that we could end up with a lot of SH sides in the Semi's should SA get up tomorrow morning.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Fairly surprised by the results overnight. Thought Ireland and Wales were pretty clear favourites.