• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool C - Australia v Wales - 5AM 25 Sep AEST

Beer on the hill

Ward Prentice (10)
I’d like to see us have runners in that wide channel. Three quick passes to 13 and then have our big lads (Arnold and Frost) really attack the edges. Pass, pass, pass, CRASH. A different style. This would also allow us to put contestable kicks up and have our tall timber (as well as Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)) chasing and contesting.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think we are going to try and smash them up front but go wide quickly when possible. Less kicking in this one……..as it should have been in the last one but probably not for this one. Confusing? Yes, very.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Give me our tight 5 over theirs every day and twice on Sunday
I’d take their hooker (not very good either) over our extremely underwhelming choices. Their TH is a premiership, 6N and Heineken Cup winner, against a LH doing an admirable job at TH. Adam Beard is a better player than both Arnold and Frost. Rowlands is a solid Lock as well. Honestly only Bell is a better option than the other front 5 guys.

Our choices certainly aren’t going to be winning scrum penalties. They aren’t going to be bashing them with the ball. Etc. I just don’t see where the advantage is.

We have to dominate an area of the game to win, I’m just not seeing this front 5 being able to dominate at anything to give us an advantage. Hopefully I’m wrong.

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Good to have Tate & Pone back:

- I like Leota at 6 and Hooper at 7, would have Gleeson on the bench for more versatility

- Would also prefer Fines over White

- Makes sense not to throw Pone back straight away

View attachment 17557
Nic White on the bench seems a weird move tbh. I can't think of a single end game scenario where kicking the ball to the opposition so that they score points will benefit us.

I've been wrong before though.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You have tried your best Qwerty but Jones disagrees. I for one, want to see him start to see if there is anything to him I have missed.
I am sure we will see it against Portugal. He had that big hit against Wales last year but did not do much in the game after that. Valetini is much busier and effective. Hooper too and is a lineout option.
The lineout this week should be excellent.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I’d take their hooker (not very good either) over our extremely underwhelming choices. Their TH is a premiership, 6N and Heineken Cup winner, against a LH doing an admirable job at TH. Adam Beard is a better player than both Arnold and Frost. Rowlands is a solid Lock as well. Honestly only Bell is a better option than the other front 5 guys.

Our choices certainly aren’t going to be winning scrum penalties. They aren’t going to be bashing them with the ball. Etc. I just don’t see where the advantage is.

We have to dominate an area of the game to win, I’m just not seeing this front 5 being able to dominate at anything to give us an advantage. Hopefully I’m wrong.
Porecki has really grown on me this season, your really under rating himI feel

Thomas Francis has always looked average at best to me, especially at scrum time. Adam Beard is really out of form and in no way is better than Frost

Adding Leota gives a big pack, and out lineout should be able to cause them issues with Frost, Hooper and Arnold

This is the same Welsh team that the Boks just put 50 on, that England beat with 13 men, that both Georgia beat less than a year ago. If we can’t beat these losers than I worry about our future

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
They’re not wrong though. I mean they’re shit too it’s no guarantee but we’re undeniably shit with how we’re coached and not putting our best side out there.
Yeh but if Aus play to their potential they win by a fair bit. Good chance they don't tho

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ronan O'Gara recently made a statement to the effect of games being won from 1-10. Well, as a collective, I'm confident we're better at 1-9. But the most significant gap of any position is at 10. The question is whether we can exercise the dominance we need to stop that coming into it. I think that's 50-50 likelihood.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Porecki has really grown on me this season, your really under rating himI feel

Thomas Francis has always looked average at best to me, especially at scrum time. Adam Beard is really out of form and in no way is better than Frost

Adding Leota gives a big pack, and out lineout should be able to cause them issues with Frost, Hooper and Arnold

This is the same Welsh team that the Boks just put 50 on, that England beat with 13 men, that both Georgia beat less than a year ago. If we can’t beat these losers than I worry about our future
I'm still not convinced on Leota, size aside. He's not as sharp or consistent technically as I'd like.

I agree re: Porecki. He's no Malcom Marx or Dan Sheehan, but he's been rather consistent for the Wallabies and has been doing reasonably well with all the off the ball work.

I agree with your final point. Wales are beatable. If we can't beat them we're not going to win a quarters anyway.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'm not sold on Perecki. He's there primarily because he is more consistent with his throwing at the lineout. In general play, he does not win collisions, often misses tackles and is nearing the status of penalty magnet. I reckon, in general play, Faessler has it over him, but Porecki's lineout work will continue to see him selected until a more rounded hooker comes through the ranks.

rugbyAU

Arch Winning (36)
I'm not sold on Perecki. He's there primarily because he is more consistent with his throwing at the lineout. In general play, he does not win collisions, often misses tackles and is nearing the status of penalty magnet. I reckon, in general play, Faessler has it over him, but Porecki's lineout work will continue to see him selected until a more rounded hooker comes through the ranks.
Agreed, BPA coming back home soon at least

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Well, I agree with you on Porecki's lineout work. And I guess on surprise at him gaining the captaincy. His general gameplay isn't as solid as Faessler but I don't think the differential is the quantum you suggest. Porecki is certainly stronger now.