• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies vs Wales - Sunday 29 September 2019 @ 5.45pm

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Evidence from last week was that Latu messed up a few calls and/or the communication between caller and thrower was not great for the first half...

Well, that's not true....

He's been jumping in every game for the Wobs, and also was used a handful of time for the Rebels.... in 2019.

Yeah mate even Michael Hooper jumped a handful of times this year in Super Rugby, doesn’t make him a good lineout option in the World Cup.
Funny how Latu didn’t have any issues hitting Rodda or Arnold.

Fact is Wallabies have gone in with 2 primary lineout jumpers in a RWC match, and 3 backrowers who have jumped a “handful” of times in 2019, and it presents a frustratingly obvious liability for the Wallabies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
He was at 79% this supe season, which is a few points higher than his overall average. For the record that’s the same as Dan Carter’s career average and Lilo kicked at 75% this season. But whatever floats your boat.
His kicking against Samoa wasnt too great tho

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyways, I think you're conflating the fact that just because the Rebels, for whatever reason, didn't utilise Naisarani this year in the lineout that he's not a primary lineout jumper........... yet, every other team he's played for have used him as one.

And that will be my final point on that.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He was at 79% this supe season, which is a few points higher than his overall average. For the record that’s the same as Dan Carter’s career average and Lilo kicked at 75% this season. But whatever floats your boat.

So what is it for the international season?

Laughable to compare Carters and Foley's goal-kicking abilities - but yeah 'whatever floats your boat'.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A bench mark set in the Vikings game today. Banks kicked a penalty from mid field just inside Drua half and found touch on the 5m line from the try line. Let's see if Foley can consistently get half that distance.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Laughable to compare Carters and Foley's goal-kicking abilities - but yeah 'whatever floats your boat'.
I mean, if they have the same percentage doesnt that mean Foley is as good as Carter at goal kicking?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I mean, if they have the same percentage doesnt that mean Foley is as good as Carter at goal kicking?

No. You don't get a clear picture by comparing Carters whole career average to a small sample of Foley's.
The stats don't compare difficulty or distance in kicks.
The stats don't compare pressure kicks.

Otherwise Matt Dunning would be the greatest drop-kicker in the world with 100% from 1 from 1.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

I covered this earlier. He’s only played 2 games, he was 100% v the Boks and yeah he had an awful night v Samoa. You seem to be basing his entire goal kicking capabilities on the latter.
I’m not suggesting he’s as good as Carter. He took all the kicks from everywhere, sometimes we sub someone else in for the longer or more difficult kicks. But the point is that somewhere in the vicinity of 75-80% is up there, it certainly doesn’t make him a shit kicker. Barrett kicks at 72% for example.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The stats don't compare difficulty or distance in kicks.
The stats don't compare pressure kicks.
I’d agree with the former but not the latter with respect to skewing in Foleys favour. Of all the rugby nations and provinces in the world, NZ and the Crusaders respectively would have the least amount of pressure kicks.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Meh. I'm unconvinced.

80% kicker is an 80% kicker. Carter was defo better out of hand though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Anyways, I think you're conflating the fact that just because the Rebels, for whatever reason, didn't utilise Naisarani this year in the lineout that he's not a primary lineout jumper..... yet, every other team he's played for have used him as one.

And that will be my final point on that.
No I don’t think I am, and I think last week was evidence of that.
Agree to disagree

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I covered this earlier. He’s only played 2 games, he was 100% v the Boks and yeah he had an awful night v Samoa. You seem to be basing his entire goal kicking capabilities on the latter.

I’m not suggesting he’s as good as Carter. He took all the kicks from everywhere, sometimes we sub someone else in for the longer or more difficult kicks. But the point is that somewhere in the vicinity of 75-80% is up there, it certainly doesn’t make him a shit kicker. Barrett kicks at 72% for example.

It seemed as tho you were suggesting he's as good as Carter.

That's a positive then for his stats (bar Samoa). I feel more confident with Foley's goal-kicking then I do Lilo's - at least when it within his distance.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It seemed as tho you were suggesting he's as good as Carter.

That's a positive then for his stats (bar Samoa). I feel more confident with Foley's goal-kicking then I do Lilo's - at least when it within his distance.
I wouldn’t ever suggest he was as good as Carter, I was just putting his season stats into perspective because you were saying he was out of (goal kicking) form.

Anyway, it is what it is, on his day he IS as accurate as Carter, so let’s hope he brings his A game to the tee. And elsewhere.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Temperature is meant to be 25-26 degrees for the game and humid. Same sort of temperature for the Irish and Japan match which really fucked Ireland. You could see big James Ryan was completely stuffed towards the end.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Some people on here seem to be overconfident, which is vastly different to being confident.

The same people don't seem to be according Wales the respect which they deserve.

Please remember that a NH ref' will be presiding over the match involving a NH team.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Some people on here seem to be overconfident, which is vastly different to being confident.

The same people don't seem to be according Wales the respect which they deserve.

Please remember that a NH ref' will be presiding over the match involving a NH team.
Who? There’s a bunch of posters saying we’re shit, another bunch saying we’ve picked the wrong players, and a few saying we will edge a win. Seems pretty balanced to me.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Uruguay defeated Fiji. Japan defeated Ireland. It’s a World Cup of underdog victories. Can the plucky Australians punch out an unlikely win over the might of the recent #1 ranked Wales?