• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool D - Wallabies vs Wales - Sunday 29 September 2019 @ 5.45pm

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Who? There’s a bunch of posters saying we’re shit, another bunch saying we’ve picked the wrong players, and a few saying we will edge a win. Seems pretty balanced to me.

e.g. Show-n-go:-
Wales have the mental fortitude of a piece of wet paper

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Historically I wouldn't haven't been nervous of playing Wales, but I've watched a lot of their 6 Nations and warm up games and I think Wales have it in them to win this. I think Gatland has them very well coached and for the player pool he has to work with does really well.

They have had some disruption in both coaching and their playing group with injuries so that may have an impact. They also seem to draw a lot of strength from playing at home so it will be interesting if they can perform as well in Japan. Though if that turn up to their practice session is any indication I imagine a lot of japanese wearing red in the crowd.

Having a NH referee will suit them too and so too will wet weather (as is possibly forecast for the game) - we saw how well the Wallabies play in the wet at Eden Park.

For us, I think we can equally win this one if we show up. I want to see the silly errors removed from our game. Things like that Kerevi pass. I'd like to to see us earn it before we try and push it wide. If we play more like that second half of the Fiji game I'll be happy. If we loose this one, I want to be able to say it's because Wales played better on the day, not because we were erratic, error prone or lost it in the headspace as I think we sometimes do. I'm expecting the bench to be important and am hopeful that some of the much maligned players like Foley, ACC and even DHP are able to redeem themselves in some supporters eyes.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Make no mistake, I hope that the Wobs win, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't; they have been inconsistent of late.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The Wallabies at their best are better than Wales at their best. But Wales are far more consistent against other countries. Against us they are usually pretty average.

I can't pick it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Hmm, I haven’t seen too much hype for the Wallabies. I’d say most have Wales as favourites but there is some optimism given the Wallabies record against them, some of our showings this year, injuries to key Welsh players, and how tight a lot of games have been so far.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Wails seem to be slight favs on the betting sites ($1.80-$2.20 seems reasonably common) & the predictor on stuff.co.nz has them at 61% to Straya's 36%. Was 67/31 earlier in the week so I'm not sure what's caused the change.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wales should be favourites - they've had a much better run into the World Cup with some strong performances last year, including beating the Wallabies, and being Six Nations grand slam winners.............

Aside from that flogging of the 14 man all Blacks in Perth, the Wallabies have been anywhere from average to downright shite the last few years, and this is one of the most uninspiring teams they've ran out in a RWC.

But, it's Wales in a RWC so they're still a good chance.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
^ Wails seem to be slight favs on the betting sites ($1.80-$2.20 seems reasonably common) & the predictor on stuff.co.nz has them at 61% to Straya's 36%. Was 67/31 earlier in the week so I'm not sure what's caused the change.
Would be the inclusion of B. Foley and A. Ashley-Cooper. Obviously, the stuff.co AI rates them very highly, another dick in hand moment for the Cheika haters.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I’m not a Cheika hater, but he has presented many reasons to question his coaching ability and decision making around selections, game plans and assistant coaches in recent years.

It irks me that the phrase ‘Cheika hater’ be thrown around so flippantly when addressing some of the comments and constructive criticism put forward.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I’m not a Cheika hater, but he has presented many reasons to question his coaching ability and decision making around selections, game plans and assistant coaches in recent years.

It irks me that the phrase ‘Cheika hater’ be thrown around so flippantly when addressing some of the comments and constructive criticism put forward.
Calm down, I was being sarcastic, no idea why the win predictor changed but I’d bet good money it wasn’t the selection of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Foley.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
e.g. Show-n-go:-
Wales have the mental fortitude of a piece of wet paper

Really? In the 13 pages of fan comment that is your Welsh “FML”?

I loved my time in the UK with some fond memories of friends at London Welsh, internationals in Cardiff against the Wallabies were just wonderful occasions. I can’t remember having lost one but do remember Bob Dwyer strangely being public enemy no 1.

Wales are favourites here, and even with a long period of frustration with “the clown” I’m feeling bolshie. WBs by 12, because, you know, “fortitude and wet paper”. ;-)

Mate, enjoy another Brains, and the game. Hopefully the boyos will be singing through the game, but I expect the Aussies to be singing afterward. :)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
ahaha, I've been calling for penalties for bridging all tournament and the Wallabies are one of the first teams to be penalised for it. FFS.