• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 2 NZ v FRA (Millenium Stadium) 18th Oct 0600 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Well thankfully the All Blacks' record this year has been 1 outstanding performance for every 2 or 3 average performances. Looks like they've done their dash :D

On the contrary. Thus far this year there's been eight average performances, but only two proper performances. Based on this the poor-to-good ratio of 2:1, the All Blacks still have two more top class performances to role out.

Just as planned.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
They've been like that for four years. Their reputation finally shot through on world stage. Ffr needs to get a system in place to halt the declinw

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
They've been like that for four years. Their reputation finally shot through on world stage. Ffr needs to get a system in place to halt the declinw

Yeah they really are below par at international level now, which pains me greatly as someone who grew up watching the great Jacques Fouroux teams of the 80's and loving the way they played.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Replay watched.

AB defense in the first 30 minutes set this up for them. Real venom. Add into that, they had pretty much every fucking pass stick. Man they were switched on. One scrum in the first half? Ridiculous! Particularly in light of their last few weeks (Georgia game - ay ay ay!).

The other part of the victory was varied tactics - Nonu looking for grass with the boot, Carter looking for aerial contests. It left the French defensive line hesitant.

France hit back nicely and weren't that far away for the first 30 minutes, really, and I'd like to place a lot of blame for the halftime margin on their useless Fijian blindside winger: caught in no-mans land on Savea's first try, then getting bumped for trying to tackle a bus around the shoulders in the next. Spedding also guilty of that.

Showed that both of them were worried very early on about the offload instead of just doing their job i.e. putting a bloke on the deck, and making the offload the next bloke's problem.

France's hopes ended in the 7 minutes just after halftime. In the 43rd minute after Fofana's break, Aaron Smith tackles in a subsequent move, 5 out from the line, and lands directly on the French side of the ruck.

Have seen refs call that straight away (e.g. Clancy) this tournament, and even Owens in that game when Wyatt somehow injured his groin flopping onto a Frenchman at ruck time in a nothing ruck.

Two French forwards are there to clean out but they can't get over him quick enough to beat McCaw (and I think Moody?). A French fan could feel slightly aggrieved at this turn of events, given the momentum they had and the position on the field.

A few minutes later, Picamoles stupidly used his fist, that would have been nothing otherwise. What he actually did isn't any worse than an open hand, but you can't knuckle someone like that.

Retaliation should be dealt with harshly, and it was a reasonably good decision in the end (though again, we've seen worse get away with less). Would have been good if Owens fronted McCaw at the same time about offside/holding/on deck and let him know that the professional fouls aren't going to fly, before talking to France about the fist and then letting the game carry on in the manner it did.

Two huge decisions in the space of 4 minutes - partly due to French stupidity / inaccuracy, partly due to good gamesmanship by the ABs. The tiny bit of the momentum France had was killed, their best forward gone for 10, and a 16 point deficit they can't reel in with Parra at half. At the same time, Pape goes off and they lose some beef into the deal.

Could they have come back with another try? I don't think so, because they simply had no answers for the AB defensive line. If they had Kockott out there earlier, maybe. But ultimately France lost this for the same reason England lost: their domestic competition doesn't prepare them for the fitness and decision-making required at a level near the All Blacks.

Also they were playing into the ABs hands - they kept attacking wide, inviting McCaw to turn over ball, instead of getting some pick n go in close to see whether the ABs wanted to play tight. And no short kicking game to slow the defense either. Might not have made a difference, but something needed to change.

The whole game, the ABs were making those good decisions at ruck time - mostly just fanning out, then on the odd trip the French made across the advantage line, doing what McCaw calls "winning the shoulder battle" after making the right decision to contest or leave.

Its superb to watch as a neutral, because you think you're doing alright, hanging onto the ball, then look up and still see 13-15 black shirts ready to tackle.

If the French had a few more forwards with the guile and work rate of Dussatoir, they'd still be competitive. But whatever has happened from their grassroots up, they're simply not producing players who look like they want to work hard.

Speaking of working hard, it was good (and a little scary) see Savea look like someone who had been told they were on their last chance. Running hard and straight like he stole the ball and everyone else was a copper.

Everything else about other players has been said elsewhere, but I'd like to give Ben Smith a special mention for some of that aerial shit coming in from the wing. Just took everything going, under some real pressure too. France were getting opportunities to set play up around halfway off some of those kicks, but simply couldn't beat him in the air.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I hope this AB performance has dealt a bit of a reality slap to a few of our more excitable Wallaby fans here. What we saw from them overnight is the standard we need to set to even get close, let alone win the thing. Let's just focus on trying to beat Scotland this week.

What we saw from them is a performance where nearly everything worked 100%. I didn't count a single dropped pass, lost lineout, or pressured scrum in the first half, and besides some broken tackles (mostly between the 22s) they were in control and playing their tactics well.

It is an indicator of how good they can be if you let them. And the French #14 let them. He was utter shit, and responsible almost single-handedly for Savea's first two tries.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Replay watched.

AB defense in the first 30 minutes set this up for them. Real venom. Add into that, they had pretty much every fucking pass stick. Man they were switched on. One scrum in the first half? Ridiculous! Particularly in light of their last few weeks (Georgia game - ay ay ay!).

The other part of the victory was varied tactics - Nonu looking for grass with the boot, Carter looking for aerial contests. It left the French defensive line hesitant.

France hit back nicely and weren't that far away for the first 30 minutes, really, and I'd like to place a lot of blame for the halftime margin on their useless Fijian blindside winger: caught in no-mans land on Savea's first try, then getting bumped for trying to tackle a bus around the shoulders in the next. Spedding also guilty of that.

Showed that both of them were worried very early on about the offload instead of just doing their job i.e. putting a bloke on the deck, and making the offload the next bloke's problem.

France's hopes ended in the 7 minutes just after halftime. In the 43rd minute after Fofana's break, Aaron Smith tackles in a subsequent move, 5 out from the line, and lands directly on the French side of the ruck.

Have seen refs call that straight away (e.g. Clancy) this tournament, and even Owens in that game when Wyatt somehow injured his groin flopping onto a Frenchman at ruck time in a nothing ruck.

Two French forwards are there to clean out but they can't get over him quick enough to beat McCaw (and I think Moody?). A French fan could feel slightly aggrieved at this turn of events, given the momentum they had and the position on the field.

A few minutes later, Picamoles stupidly used his fist, that would have been nothing otherwise. What he actually did isn't any worse than an open hand, but you can't knuckle someone like that.

Retaliation should be dealt with harshly, and it was a reasonably good decision in the end (though again, we've seen worse get away with less). Would have been good if Owens fronted McCaw at the same time about offside/holding/on deck and let him know that the professional fouls aren't going to fly, before talking to France about the fist and then letting the game carry on in the manner it did.

Two huge decisions in the space of 4 minutes - partly due to French stupidity / inaccuracy, partly due to good gamesmanship by the ABs. The tiny bit of the momentum France had was killed, their best forward gone for 10, and a 16 point deficit they can't reel in with Parra at half. At the same time, Pape goes off and they lose some beef into the deal.

Could they have come back with another try? I don't think so, because they simply had no answers for the AB defensive line. If they had Kockott out there earlier, maybe. But ultimately France lost this for the same reason England lost: their domestic competition doesn't prepare them for the fitness and decision-making required at a level near the All Blacks.

Also they were playing into the ABs hands - they kept attacking wide, inviting McCaw to turn over ball, instead of getting some pick n go in close to see whether the ABs wanted to play tight. And no short kicking game to slow the defense either. Might not have made a difference, but something needed to change.

The whole game, the ABs were making those good decisions at ruck time - mostly just fanning out, then on the odd trip the French made across the advantage line, doing what McCaw calls "winning the shoulder battle" after making the right decision to contest or leave.

Its superb to watch as a neutral, because you think you're doing alright, hanging onto the ball, then look up and still see 13-15 black shirts ready to tackle.

If the French had a few more forwards with the guile and work rate of Dussatoir, they'd still be competitive. But whatever has happened from their grassroots up, they're simply not producing players who look like they want to work hard.

Speaking of working hard, it was good (and a little scary) see Savea look like someone who had been told they were on their last chance. Running hard and straight like he stole the ball and everyone else was a copper.

Everything else about other players has been said elsewhere, but I'd like to give Ben Smith a special mention for some of that aerial shit coming in from the wing. Just took everything going, under some real pressure too. France were getting opportunities to set play up around halfway off some of those kicks, but simply couldn't beat him in the air.
Spot on! Great summary

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Really can we say that the ABs have had a solid test yet? The French are a shadow of a Tier 1 side. Today was not their one in a hundred games to actually show up and play above themselves, and the fact is their baseline performances would put them on par with the Pacific Island sides and Italy.

I cant see the French side improving again and being regularly competitive while the Top 14 is filled to the brim with non-French eligible players and the clubs dictate terms to the national side. Very sad and another step in devaluing the international game.

For all the criticisms I have of Gatland's failure to use the talents of his players the French really failed to do anything, and not through lack of trying from the players. The coach has continually chopped and changed the line-up and they really seemed like they had only just gathered for the start of the season. They were never in this game regardless of the scoreline, the ABs broke the line fairly easily, even before the flood gates opened.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BTW, just watching a replay and most certainly McCaw tackled the French winger in the air when they had both contested but the ball had been taken by the winger. Should have been a French penalty, but Owens awarded a scrum to the ABs and in a subsequent phase, Read scored near the posts.

Didn't have any influence on the result, but just another example of Richie getting away with stuff others can't.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
And the money Paddy, which gives them the power!!
Indeed, sadly more per club than most of the world's unions. The dismal showing out of England is already being used by the English clubs as an excuse for a massive power grab, wait for the same to happen in France. When the English clubs get anywhere near the RFU's cash it will devastate the international game.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Well shit, I didn't expect that humping! Kind of feel sorry for some of the French players who you can see give their all and are class players (Fofana, Parra, Ben Arous, Picomoles, Dusautoir, Nayanga) but let down by the rest of the team not being near par.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
View attachment 7080 Are the All Blacks illegally scrumming on opposition feeds.?

The laws of the game;

Binding by all other players. All players in a scrum, other than front-row players, must bind on a lock’s body with at least one arm prior to the scrum engagement. The locks must bind with the props in front of them. No other player other than a prop may hold an opponent

So what is the illegal bit about the scrum in your photo? I am assuming you are unhappy with the binding of players since you mention the rules regarding this. The flankers are bound to the lock and not touching anyone else. The 8 is bound onto the locks. The props are binding the opposition. Nobody, other than the props are touching the opposition.

Going by the numbers it is late in the game so things could be excused for getting untidy. The ABs are at all different angles.

A little more detail please. Tell me what I am supposed to be seeing.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
So what is the illegal bit about the scrum in your photo? I am assuming you are unhappy with the binding of players since you mention the rules regarding this. The flankers are bound to the lock and not touching anyone else. The 8 is bound onto the locks. The props are binding the opposition. Nobody, other than the props are touching the opposition.

Going by the numbers it is late in the game so things could be excused for getting untidy. The ABs are at all different angles.

A little more detail please. Tell me what I am supposed to be seeing.

The laws of the game require all players not part of the front row to bind onto a lock.

That means the two locks must bind onto each other.

Clearly on the photo below Whitelock is not bound to his fellow lock.

The All Blacks only did this on French feeds and did it throughout the game. (They bind correctly for their own put in.)

All I can presume is that Whitlock is effecting a crotch bind on both the loose head prop and the hooker (treating the hooker like a prop) in an effort to develop more power and also attempt a wheel.

It is illegal, dangerous and should be penalised.

It should also be twittered to Jonathon Kaplan so Whitelock, Marlow and Kaplan can all catch up for a coffee!

Screen Snip AB.PNG
C:\Personal\Screen Snip AB

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm already scared for next week. This is the All Blacks peaking at the right time. We'll have to outperform ourselves to get close.

But that's what makes rugby great.

I think it's going to be epic. Forget about what has happened so far this year - RC or RWC, it means nothing in my view. This French test gone was one of those rare occasions that our attack and defence came off and the French offered very little in attack and when we got a sniff we scored.

I can only recall the 2003 test when we put 50 on the Boks that that's happened. In recent times the games have been closely fought affairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.