• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 3 IRE v ARG (Millenium Stadium) 18th Oct 2300 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I think Pape should have been cited as well and gotten a week for faking injury. That punch wouldn't even have hurt my mother.

Here's what I'm curious about — it’s clear Pape groped O’Brien's ass, there’s evidence. But Pape gets nothing? In a 2013 match between Samoa and South Africa, James So’oialo gave Adriaan Strauss’ tackle a handshake, and Strauss struck him. So’oialo was cited under Law 10.4(m), committing an act contrary to good sportsmanship. I don’t believe Strauss was cited for reacting to being molested.

The 6N should be fun.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Hey Ireland fans how worried are you about this game given your teams lack of success in the knock out phases in the past? Never got past the quarters is that right?

I appreciate that past form is hardly an indicator of future form but the record does suggest that knock out matches seem to create a less than ideal form of tension for the men in green.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Hey Ireland fans how worried are you about this game given your teams lack of success in the knock out phases in the past? Never got past the quarters is that right?

I appreciate that past form is hardly an indicator of future form but the record does suggest that knock out matches seem to create a less than ideal form of tension for the men in green.

You mean like the same tension the All Blacks have when playing France in a knockout match?

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Well I do believe that the two world cup finals we've won against them count as knock out matches so i'm relatively relaxed.

So the other 2 where you were beaten despite being massive favorites doesn't bother you?

Also, 2011 could've been different if that last French kick from 45 went over... I'm sure you'll admit those last 10 minutes were anything but "relaxing". And going by what happened during the group stages, not nearly what you expected.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Here's what I'm curious about — it’s clear Pape groped O’Brien's ass, there’s evidence. But Pape gets nothing? In a 2013 match between Samoa and South Africa, James So’oialo gave Adriaan Strauss’ tackle a handshake, and Strauss struck him. So’oialo was cited under Law 10.4(m), committing an act contrary to good sportsmanship. I don’t believe Strauss was cited for reacting to being molested.
The 6N should be fun.

He barely touched him on the bum though. It was immediately on and off, not like a grope or squeeze.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Wait. You think Pape should be cited for patting Sean O'Brien on the bum?

Nope. We don't actually know what he did. The judiciary stated there was no provocation, which we know isn't true, so who the hell knows what they actually considered.

But if you're going to go around grabbing guys genitalia on the rugby pitch (or any sporting event), A.) Expect some retaliation, and B.) That should be considered when prosecuting the molested player for retaliating.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)

o_O

As do QFs and SFs for the men in black against Les Bleus. So you tell us.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
He barely touched him on the bum though. It was immediately on and off, not like a grope or squeeze.

Got evidence? Because the judiciary said there was no provocation, but we know he grabbed his ass -- so we don't know if they were considering that photo or not.

Are you saying players should be allowed to toy with other players' junk?

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I don't think the buttocks is classified as genitalia.

Depends on how its used. Same question I asked Dewald -- are you saying players should be allowed to run around toying with other players junk on the pitch? Because if you're getting that close to things down there, in a fast-moving contact sport, you're playing with fire.

As far as I know ass-grabbing isn't part of the laws of the game, so it's beyond the sport itself. If another man walked up behind you on the street and grabbed your ass, what would you do?

That's all I'm saying -- nut-taps, squirrel-grips, deep tissue buttocks massages, that's all done to fluster the the other player beyond the means of the game. It's contrary to Law 10.4(m), and maybe the penalty for the molester should just include any retaliation done by the player being grabbed.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
is this provocation based on that STILL with his hand on his bum? (serious question) if so, to determine intent we need to see before and after.

Crikey, that hardly falls into the category (the STILL) of grabbing someones genitalia.

And, let's be honest, another man 'touching your buttocks' is not automatically a crime against humanity (or should that be a crime against your manliness), witness the endless bum tapping (congratulations) for a try, or a scrum even. Gosh, even hugs and kisses!

Anyway, complete insanity to have all this argument on a single frame.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
is this provocation based on that STILL with his hand on his bum? (serious question) if so, to determine intent we need to see before and after.

Crikey, that hardly falls into the category (the STILL) of grabbing someones genitalia.

And, let's be honest, another man 'touching your buttocks' is not automatically a crime against humanity (or should that be a crime against your manliness), witness the endless bum tapping (congratulations) for a try, or a scrum even. Gosh, even hugs and kisses!

Anyway, complete insanity to have all this argument on a single frame.

Fine, fine, grabbing someone's ass from behind is okay in rugby, especially if you're doing it to keep them off a ruck. My mistake.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
don't get the hump mxy, again, is that single frame the sole piece of evidence? It was, and remains, a genuine question.

For starters, it is clear from that single frame that he was NOT, in fact, 'grabbing his arse'. Is it a still from a sequence that might show he brushed his arse as his hand moves down (for example).

I simply don't know.

Iñaki Zubizarreta

Herbert Moran (7)
A shame for Ireland that a run of injuries and suspensions have hit at this time. At full strength Ireland by 10-15, but they'll be up against it here. Argentina are quality and this match will go down to the wire. Big chance here for Argentina to play in their 1st RWC semi.

Second. We played the semis in 2007, and won against France for the 3rd place...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As far as I know ass-grabbing isn't part of the laws of the game, so it's beyond the sport itself. If another man walked up behind you on the street and grabbed your ass, what would you do?

I wouldn't turn around and punch them, that's for sure.

If Sean O'Brien considers a pat on the bum as provocation to punch someone, I'd suggest he's probably pretty homophobic.

I would classify it as gamesmanship at the very worst. I also don't think you can really compare a pat on the bum with grabbing someone's genitals.

On a bit of a tangent, this happend in the NRL this year and everyone had a laugh about it.

Iñaki Zubizarreta

Herbert Moran (7)
It's a pity the O'Connell injury. It is an advantage for us that Ireland have lost their captain, but I really wanted to watch him on field.

Marcelo Bosch, one week as somebody said before. If we can't make it, that was his last match with argentinean jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.