• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
We were a tad bit lucky last week against Wales with the substitution timing and the situation could have very easily bit us on the bum. Without being over critical of the coaching / management team, they dodged a bullet in my opinion. It could well have been a "defining moment" for the Wallabies if the substitution timing backfired and we lost the game because we left injured players on the field when they shouldn't have been out there.

Looking ahead to this week, I believe that whatever call is made regarding Folau and Pocock has the potential to be another "defining moment" even before the team runs out. If they play both and they are not 100% and end up needing to be subbed early, or play below their usual standard, or in the worse case aggravate their injuries then we are going to be screwed. There will be some finger pointing no doubt and some tough questions to answer which to date Cheika has deservedly managed to avoid. What irritated me somewhat before last weeks game was Folau saying if he wasn't confident in his ankle he wouldn't strap his boots on.....well he wasn't fine and it impacted on his performance. As fantastic a player that he is, a 80% Izzy Folau does not trump a 100% Kurtley Beale in my book. Australia has been pretty lucky to date with our injuries compared to some other teams that have made it into the quarters.....look at the England V Wales match and again with Ireland v France. It only takes one match like that and we could lose three of our key players......then what?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'd imagine there was some discussion of that after the game.

Presumably someone is managing the replacements on the sideline (maybe Nathan Grey) after word comes down from Cheika in the stands. Maybe they tried to stop it but had already notified the replacement to the match officials and were stuck with it?

It's hard to imagine that if they weren't already committed to the replacement then they wouldn't have held off when they saw Pocock was struggling.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'm expecting Pocock might sit this one out. It sounds to me that there is a legitimate concern that Pocock might further damage his hammy if he returns too soon. Whilst I don't think Cheika would "rest" Poe, I think he's smart enough to realise that our chances of winning the cup diminish significantly if he has to go home injured.

I really think we will handle this game just fine without Pocock. The backrow of McCalman/Fardy/Hooper is a very strong combination.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
RE the nationality, every time an Australian is cited by a NZer with no NZ game coming up there are numerous (admittedly plenty tongue in cheek) comments on this site.

I must admit I feel like all officials should be, and likely are professional enough to not allow their country of birth to get in the way of doing their job. Having said that, I think the purpose of that rule is to combat perception, and they should probably have a look at doing the same thing for citing officers.
I agree entirely, I am not suggesting the citing commissioner will be anything other than independent and objective, but come this stage of a RWC I think they could find a cleverer way of doing things.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Hmmm, that video leaves me with mixed feelings. Rightly by recent precedence they should both miss some games for it, but I don't necessarily agree with recent precedence.

It does seem the judiciary is going fairly lightly on punishment at the RWC. If they both got a week you'd say they were fairly lucky.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Firstly he's an INDEPENDENT Citing Commissioner, not an Australian one & where do you draw the line? If he can't be an Aussie cos that's who Scotland are playing then surely he can't be Irish or Argentinian cos that's who they potential play next; nor South African nor New Zealander cos that's who they potentially play after that. Drains the pool of ICC's pretty quickly which is why they're INDEPENDENT in the first place :)
Aren't there any Englishmen on the panel?

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Australia and Scotland and will be refereed by Joubert (South Africa). He will be assisted by Glen Jackson (New Zealand) and Pascal Gauzere (France) with Ben Skeen (New Zealand) the TMO.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Them being suspended, fair enough, ugly incident.

3 weeks though, means that in the event we make the final (albeit the fact it's ridiculously unlikely), they won't even be able to play in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.