• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Jeez that was a Quade-esque game from Bernard Foley tonight, shocking on the boot and he had the charge down try and and knock on to go with, lets hope that is his bad game out of the books because we won't beat Argentina or South Africa/New Zealand if he does.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Was the last penalty correct? I think yes, there is no way Phipps played at that football, and Welsh unfortunately did the instinctive thing and held the football that was coming towards him. Does it matter in the wash up? Nah, we would have set up for the dropped goal from the ensuing scrum.
Should Laidlaw be crucified? No way, the ITV interviewer could have a distinguished career as a foot-in-the-door journalist at A Current Affair. To me it just showed that Laidlaw gives a shit.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Some Scots are pissed.

attachment.php

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
"Australia won. However I would not have been too perturbed if Scotland had won considering how well they played. We certainly did not make it easy for ourselves, and that was compounded by the Scottish pressure...

Australia will need to improve immeasurably to compete with Los Pumas" .

You are correct... I Don't see Argentina coming out and having a Bad Game next week - I think they are feeling very much on-song, and the best chance I see the Wallabies having is to score big points early, and then attempt to increase the pressure on the Pumas who may lose composure under the pressure of the occasion... Our defence is good enough - but the action at the Breakdowns should be worth the price of admission..

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Front row shenanigans again. Touch and go but Sio pinged again.

SCO LHP doing a #ScurnStraightJoe but Sio goes down before that is picked up by Joubers.

Laidlaw does what he does best and increases the score by 3. SCO 16 AUS 10 after 35 minutes.
That was a Glenn Jackson call.
THP clearly rolled his shoulder to send Sio down.
Jackson needs a scrum chaperone.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Some Scots are pissed.

Yes they are. When you get a change.org petition out against you, you know you're stuffed..

On the game, well done to Scotland for having a game plan to nullify our forwards around the ruck. They made easy metres at time around the ruck, particularly the Horne try.

Our scrum, which had been a weapon, was not even close to what it has been in the tournament until today.

There was not enough protection of the ball around some rucks where all the good work of quick ball was undone by untidy presentation of the ball, feet getting in the way etc.

I know it was a goal kick that won it for us, but in knockout rugby it is vital to kick your goals. Laidlaw was hitting them well, Foley not so well.

The decision making in our own half needed to be better - the Foley chip kick & to a lesser extent the Slipper intercept pass are good examples.

Hopefully Pocock is fit next week.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
At 70 minutes in it doesn't feel like we had 55% of possession (per SMH).
Any ideas how much we had in their half and how many minutes in their 22?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That was the worst we've played for a while. Lots of aimless/poor kicks and a lot of dumb options.

While our tries out wide were well-executed and the maul looked good, the bits in between were ordinary. Scotland were the better rugby team for more of the match than we were and we were more than a little lucky to win.

That said, finding a way to win in those circumstances is the mark of a good team.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
The perspective from a Pommy:

Pommy said:
It's easy to say Australia should thank the ref for their place in the Semi-Finals of the World Cup but Scotland should thank;

1) Foley for being terrible today, including his stupid kick that got charged down.

2) Slipper playing a moronic pass in the key pivot position which led to the intercept try. Why are Australian even putting a replacement prop in that position?

3) The non-existent defending at the ruck that led to the other Scottish try. Australia appeared to try their best to give Scotland some tries today.

Having said that it was a hell of a gritty, brave performance from Scotland, but once again they can't see the game out. Of course Joubert should have gone to the TMO, and the right decision may or may not have been reached. But that's life. Scotland have a good platform to build from after that performance. This young side need to put their disappointment behind them and learn from their mistakes.

Australia were the better side today when they weren't gifting points to the Scottish, and severely missed Folau as well as the one of the world's best players David Pocock. The Aussies got lucky today, had they put in this performance against Wales or England they would have been well and truly punished. There are still big question marks over Scotland's defending, Seymour's missed tackle early on was abhorrent, whilst they struggled massively with the maul off of the Australian line out. There are many areas that need to be improved upon before they can compete with a Southern Hemisphere side that actually turns up and plays well.

Scotland were gifted about 25 points through poor Australian play and Foley's poor boot, and whilst it was a great effort, and a very passionate performance, they are a long way off earning a victory against a fully-fit Rugby Championship side that doesn't try and commit rugby suicide on the pitch.

But like I said, still, well-played to the Scots who left everything out on that pitch, and came the closes of any NH side to the Semi-Finals.

Coming from someone who doesnt like Australia

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Joubert really had it in for Sio. Seemed like a pretty one sided refereeing performance by him.

Actually I do remember a similar performance of his when the Wallabies played the ABs in Auckland a few years ago. Gets something in his head and only sees it one way.

I think his understanding of scrums is just about non-existant.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Even if that last play wasn't a penalty it was still a scrum to Australia. So we still had a chance to earn a penalty or a perhaps a try.

What I'm confused about is that there was one earlier where AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s kick hit the Scottish bloke turning his back and a player in front picked it up and it's deemed accidental.

To a casual observer they probably look the same but in the eyes of the laws it isn't.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Thats the logic of a Tahs supporter. If Cooper was played that first half, he wold be crucified in Moore Park
You know, you can fuck right off with your generalisations. If you have an issue with one person, direct it, don't paint everyone with the same brush.
You really ought to engage your brain before you post more often.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I've just finished watching and don't have any nails left. I won't comment too much because I'd say everything I'm thinking has already been said.

But suffice to say we played horribly and were lucky to escape.

Either we peaked too early or we just picked the right game to put in our mandatory RWC Barry. Hopefully it's the latter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
You know, you can fuck right off with your generalisations. If you have an issue with one person, direct it, don't paint everyone with the same brush.
You really ought to engage your brain before you post more often.

It's a joke, mate. I support all the Australian Super Rugby sides

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Just browsing the fox rugby hq news and saw their player ratings......not sure I was watching the same game as whoever put that piece of crap together as they gave Foley an 8/10. Apparently "Iceman" is our bloody savior. As much as I don't want to start a shit fight I thought Foley had a shocking game and if it was anyone else they wouldn't be starting next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.