• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Now you're just getting shrill.

Lots of players made mistakes in that game. Pinning shit on Foley after he's delivered us the fucking game in the end, and the two before that, is just white noise.

We got away with it, we learned a lot about ourselves, and we can expect the same thing from Argentina next weekend that we got from Wales and Scotland on the last two weekends.

How the team (and Foley) recover from this is what counts.

Mate!.....I wasn't pinning shit on Foley. Go back and read my f**n post that BH responded to asking for specific examples of Foley's errors. I had no interest in nit-picking Foley to pieces. My earlier post was expressing my thoughts on his poor positional play in general. BH picked up on a short sentence where I stated "Foley made 7 clangers" and had asked for specifics. I deliberately did not include a list of Foley's errors in my first post as I knew someone git would get their knickers in a twist and completely ignore the main point I was trying to make. Foley had a poor game end of f**n story. It seems like we can't discuss anyone wearing #10 on their back in here without all shit hitting the fan.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Without the benefit of watching a replay (yet) wasn't it bombs on Foleys (defending at wing?) side that were dropped?

Yep, without watching a replay I recall some indecisiveness on the other side.
That's really my point: KB (Kurtley Beale) did nothing wrong but when IF is there the others don't seem to get as many opportunities to make mistakes nor do they make as many mistakes.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Now you're just getting shrill.

Lots of players made mistakes in that game. Pinning shit on Foley after he's delivered us the fucking game in the end, and the two before that, is just white noise.

We got away with it, we learned a lot about ourselves, and we can expect the same thing from Argentina next weekend that we got from Wales and Scotland on the last two weekends.

How the team (and Foley) recover from this is what counts.
I dont want to play the blame game,and yeah it's a 15 man game,but if Foley has another game similar to this,we are sunk.

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
Yep, without watching a replay I recall some indecisiveness on the other side.
That's really my point: KB (Kurtley Beale) did nothing wrong but when IF is there the others don't seem to get as many opportunities to make mistakes nor do they make as many mistakes.

I feel like Folau takes a lot more high balls when he's playing well than Beale did this morning. I doubt that's because they kick to him more often, but rather I feel like it's because he makes sure he's there to take them, whether it's through positioning or just confidence he'll always take it. Beale had a blinder, and did things Folau probably can't, but Folau's ability in the air still makes him an invaluable point of difference in my opinion.

Beale to start on the bench still, but not because he's not good enough to start, but because he's just so good there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mate!...I wasn't pinning shit on Foley. Go back and read my f**n post that BH responded to asking for specific examples of Foley's errors. I had no interest in nit-picking Foley to pieces. My earlier post was expressing my thoughts on his poor positional play in general. BH picked up on a short sentence where I stated "Foley made 7 clangers" and had asked for specifics. I deliberately did not include a list of Foley's errors in my first post as I knew someone git would get their knickers in a twist and completely ignore the main point I was trying to make. Foley had a poor game end of f**n story. It seems like we can't discuss anyone wearing #10 on their back in here without all shit hitting the fan.

I think you could have made your point quite comfortably without the hyperbole and pinning a bunch of other people's errors on him.

Instead it comes across as a rant against a particular player.

Rather than talking about the issues you wanted to bring up, we're distracted by a throwaway line that stood out as sounding quite outrageous and then clearly was when you were asked to clarify it.

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
We scored 5 tries. We should have won that game by 20 points.

Terrible decisions with the ball in our 22, laziness around the ruck and average goal kicking are primarily what made that game close (obviously Scotland played really well but we were our own worst enemy).

I don't the issue was with what we did when we had the ball on attack.

I still maintain that rush defense is our achillies heel. N.B. I think it is the same for most teams.
It would be the holy grail to have a gameplan for counteracting the likes of Kieran Reid pouring through 1 off the ruck and getting dominant gang tackles 6-7m behind the gain line.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Mate!...I wasn't pinning shit on Foley. Go back and read my f**n post that BH responded to asking for specific examples of Foley's errors. I had no interest in nit-picking Foley to pieces. .

OK, but it might help if you racked up a clanger count for everyone instead of singling out one player. :)

I still maintain that rush defense is our achillies heel. N.B. I think it is the same for most teams.

It would be awesome to have the best gameplan for counteracting the likes of Kieran Reid pouring through 1 off the ruck and getting dominant gang tackles 6-7m behind the gain line.

It is simple - look at TK's try. With Scotland fanned out, rushing our 2nd and 3rd channel, we trucked it up in close and fucking scored. SPEEDO! SPEEDO!

We beat the Argies in Mendozaaaaaaa this year with some sloppy form but brilliant scrambling defence. They were unlukcy not to score tries, so we need to look out for that.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I feel like Folau takes a lot more high balls when he's playing well than Beale did this morning. I doubt that's because they kick to him more often, but rather I feel like it's because he makes sure he's there to take them, whether it's through positioning or just confidence he'll always take it. Beale had a blinder, and did things Folau probably can't, but Folau's ability in the air still makes him an invaluable point of difference in my opinion.

Beale to start on the bench still, but not because he's not good enough to start, but because he's just so good there.

I think Folau not being there for this match messed a whole lot of shit up for us. We saw a lot more of Beale at first receiver, along with Gits, and I think it messed up our attacking patterns a little. The three "playmakers" were swapping around a good deal but more often than not they were taking the ball into contact and when the ball was recycled we were often found to be a bit rudderless for the phases following. It would take too long for either Gits, Beale or Foley to step back into the distributing role and things broke down on quite a few occasions. Genia looked to be doing his best to steer us around out there but he was having a hard time with that when he wasn't being presented with clean quick ball.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The 7 clangers you suggested seems to be about 2 plus the poor goal kicking in the first half. One error was disastrous and cost us a try and one was poor and cost us 3 points.

Sure they aren't 7 woeful errors, but still 7 errors.

One was costly, many of those were NOT under pressure and that is what disappointed me most.

This does not include his lack of involvement in the back-line, especially at first receiver, nor his poor goal-kicking the first half.

Let's look at what he DID do right:

The pressure kick at the end - Brilliant
A couple runs flattening and threatening the line - Expected.
Defended okay - didn't see any missed tackles?

Did he even have a hand in any of our tries?

He didn't really do much did he?

Beale on the other hand... Impressive.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Bah, you guys were carried on Jouberts back. Scotland should be through.
Bah, The Scots were gifted their qtrs spot by unfair scheduling that handicapped the Brave Sakuras and a fluke try against a better Samoa. The Scots had a tonne of luck go their way to get to the qtrs; it shouldn't be so terrible that a bit of bad luck sees them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Time to face up to one fact: no one has ever won the RWC without a world class 10 - can we be the first?

The All Blacks won the final with a young Aaron Cruden and then Stephen Donald for more than half the match last time.

South Africa won with Butch James in 2007.

Clearly 10 is one of the positions we're struggling with for consistency but it's hardly a fact that all previous RWC winners have superstar fly halves.

I reckon you could make a better case that previous RWC winners have had world class back rows.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Time to face up to one fact: no one has ever won the RWC without a world class 10 - can we be the first?

Actually the All Blacks were the first. Don't you remember Donald in the final?

And as bad as Foley was I believe he can lift and play better. We can win with Foley. I didn't believe that at the start of the RWC, but I believe that now - even after that woeful performance.

It's too late to inject Cooper.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Foley's performance was a mixed bag for me. Some really nice running and nailed the pressure kick at the end, but otherwise an off night.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Actually the All Blacks were the first. Don't you remember Donald in the final?

And as bad as Foley was I believe he can lift and play better. We can win with Foley. I didn't believe that at the start of the RWC, but I believe that now - even after that woeful performance.

It's too late to inject Cooper.

I suppose Donald doesn't qualify as world class: maybe that's why they were lucky to win! Crude I think might have been at the time.
I don't see Foley as being a barrier to winning the cup.
He can't play that badly again and if the team can play that badly and win things must be better than they feel.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Bah, The Scots were gifted their qtrs spot by unfair scheduling that handicapped the Brave Sakuras and a fluke try against a better Samoa. The Scots had a tonne of luck go their way to get to the qtrs; it shouldn't be so terrible that a bit of bad luck sees them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over the whole pool stages, we were a step above both Samoa and the States. We were a deserved third at bare minimum. Scheduling may have assisted us, but we had an identical draw to you guys in terms of breaks, which as many have commented on, was the shittest in the cup.

You can only play what's in front of you. And that's what we did. A tonne of luck is completely disengenious. Could argue that you had a tonne of luck as well, playing Fiji on their short break, then Wales having a butt tonne of injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.