• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Kepu was good. His side of the scrum had no issues and he looked to get through plenty of work around the field.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Sio got penalized 2 or 3 times when The Scottish TH dropped his bind, including on one occasion in the last 5 minutes within kicking distance.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
The only reason scotland were in the game was due to:-
- missed conversions
- an absolute muppet of a pass from a prop
- an absolute muppet of a chip kick.

We scored quality tries their try that was most due to their own skill was their first, and lets be honest it wasn't the most skillful try ever scored.

Honestly the side / crowd were excited when the rain started pissing down to make the game more difficult to play. If that is your mentality, then its not surprising that you are blaming the refs and expecting some pity.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah the on-field interviewer needs an uppercut. What a dick- first two questions about the ref, just goading Laidlaw into a response. Then did the same to Moore, who had the good sense to bat the question away.

No class at all. One of the most epic RWC quarters and we get that. We all deserved better.

It was like a Today Tonight interview where they try and get someone who is emotional and on edge to say something in the heat of the moment that they will seriously regret later.

Why not just "what a game. You must be so proud of your team today. It must be heartbreaking to go out after being in the lead with 2 minutes to go."

ArmchairGeneral

Ward Prentice (10)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445209052.464701.jpg
TNT I'm dynaaaaaamite

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah the on-field interviewer needs an uppercut. What a dick- first two questions about the ref, just goading Laidlaw into a response. Then did the same to Moore, who had the good sense to bat the question away.

No class at all. One of the most epic RWC quarters and we get that. We all deserved better.

He did the same to both coaches who, like Squeaky, similarly refused to take the rancid bait.
This bloke must have been recruited from the pommie equivalent of A Current Affair.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Right, I'm awake again. And at work, fuck it.

So let's get this out of the way: Joubers made a mistake. A mistake in a situation where he didn't have 5 angles of super slowmo replay to ponder over. A mistake that, if it had happened in minute 8 of the game instead of minute 78 of the game, wouldn't even be talked about.

We've got these rugby "legends" from Scotland and other places calling for his head, which is a fucking disgrace given all they've done this week is whine about the judiciary and then whine when their players - WHO ADMITTED THEIR GUILT - got off scot-free (pun intended).

So its been a weird fucking week, and casting stones isn't helping, or changing anything.

That last half-hour from us was either complete shit (2 tries directly off our mistakes - Foley, Slipper) or simple, bash rugby (TK's try).

I predicted before the game that if we kept trying the wide attack, Scotland would simply contain us, and later in the game that was certainly true. The TK try was us just bashing them in close, and getting a result - we need to do this more.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Who gave Foley an 8? I give him a 4. And' that's actually a 3 but he's gets a +1 for the pressure kick at the end.

His first half was one of the worst I've seen. An error-ridden performance. The second half he was better but he made that chip kick which was charged down and lead to a try, and his goal-kicking was horrible (besides the last one).
And the rest in second half ;) - I think he got them all. Now, for that first half.........
I'm gonna look at all the kicks again, I have a theory about something he's doing when it goes off.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What do you mean he lacked authority in the back?

He got tested under 2 high balls and took them well. He also made a couple of very good kicks from the back pinning Scotland to the corners - those kicks izzy cannot do. His passing was accurate which lead to the tries to Mitchell out wide.

Now I'm not saying take Beale over Izzy (I'd never suggest that), but I thought Beale was very good tonight.

I said "we" - its Folau's absence that causes them to kick more and expose the frailties of others - I had no particular problem with Beale's game.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I said "we" - its Folau's absence that causes them to kick more and expose the frailties of others - I had no particular problem with Beale's game.

Without the benefit of watching a replay (yet) wasn't it bombs on Foleys (defending at wing?) side that were dropped?

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
It seems to me that we need to find a way to play against well organised rush defense.
Wales contained us pretty well and so did the Scots.
Our last dominant game was against England who didn't pick a proper #7 to compete against The Pooper. 2 out of the 3 tries came from poor English defense in and around the ruck.
The AB's seem to be playing hot potato to counter rush defense. What are we doing?

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Who gave Foley an 8? I give him a 4. And' that's actually a 3 but he's gets a +1 for the pressure kick at the end.

His first half was one of the worst I've seen. An error-ridden performance. The second half he was better but he made that chip kick which was charged down and lead to a try, and his goal-kicking was horrible (besides the last one).

Just watched the match again making some notes of some critical errors. In Foley's case, he made a total of 7 clangers aside from the very average place kicking. What really struck me about his game this weekend was his positioning in defense. A lot of the time he is defending at fullback or on the wing, which is fine and something that we are used to seeing from a few sides other than those containing QC (Quade Cooper). But in his case he is taking way too long to get himself back into a position to be directing any sort of play or organizing our attack after a turn over. Most of the time it would take him 2 or three phases before he would get himself back into first receiver and during that time we seemed lost and saw a lot of one-out runners and completely lacked any shape. I didn't keep a count but I am fairly sure that Beale made it to first receiver more often than Foley in the second half....by default or by design I am not sure but Foley was pretty much invisible after the chip / charge-down. His confidence was obviously shot by that stage and I am amazed that he was able to muster enough composure to kick the last 3 pointer.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems to me that we need to find a way to play against well organised rush defense.
Wales contained us pretty well and so did the Scots.
Our last dominant game was against England who didn't pick a proper #7 to compete against The Pooper. 2 out of the 3 tries came from poor English defense in and around the ruck.
The AB's seem to be playing hot potato to counter rush defense. What are we doing?

We scored 5 tries. We should have won that game by 20 points.

Terrible decisions with the ball in our 22, laziness around the ruck and average goal kicking are primarily what made that game close (obviously Scotland played really well but we were our own worst enemy).

I don't the issue was with what we did when we had the ball on attack.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just watched the match again making some notes of some critical errors. In Foley's case, he made a total of 7 clangers aside from the very average place kicking. What really struck me about his game this weekend was his positioning in defense. A lot of the time he is defending at fullback or on the wing, which is fine and something that we are used to seeing from a few sides other than those containing QC (Quade Cooper). But in his case he is taking way too long to get himself back into a position to be directing any sort of play or organizing our attack. Most of the time it would take him 2 or three phases before he would get himself back into first receiver and during that time we seemed lost and saw a lot of one-out runners and completely lacked any shape. I didn't keep a count but I am fairly sure that Beale made it to first receiver more often than Foley in the second half..by default or by design I am not sure but Foley was pretty much invisible after the chip / charge-down. His confidence was obviously shot by that stage and I am amazed that he was able to muster enough composure to kick the last 3 pointer.

Just so we're all on the same page can you please list the 7 clangers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We missed Pocock significantly but I think the larger issue relative to the English and Wales games was our defensive line was far more static and Scotland got across the gain line far more easily.

Compare that to the previous couple of games where we had a field day at the breakdown. We routinely smashed players in tackles and it meant our forwards were going forward when competing at defensive breakdowns.

That happened very rarely against Scotland and most of the time there was no opportunity for us to compete on the ground.

Pocock would have helped things but it would be naive to think that was the only reason we weren't winning turnover ball.

Where was the dominant tackling and strong rush defence that was so apparent over the last two weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.