• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I’ll need to watch the game again. No doubt it was “the great escape” but I was worried about this game beforehand so I watched it though nervous eyes from the start. The scots are never an easy win for us. As it was, we played poorly, due a combination of great play by the scots and some complacency from ourselves. This was a game we could have won comfortably if our ruck defence was awake and our prop doesn’t throw a loopy intercept pass in our half with less than 10 mins to go in the game. Both of these were serious WTF moments. On the flip side, if Laidlaw lands the conversion from the charge down try then we need a try to win at the end and its probably game over for us. It’s a near miss of epic proportions for us, we won’t get another this RWC.

I reckon the YC was harsh. I can see why they called it and its been ruled the same way other times but it seems excessive compared to other incidents that occur that are only penalties, or not even penalised.

I am struggling to understand the criticism of the penalty at the end, real time it look like straight up offside play and even in slow mo its 50:50 at worst. I am no Joubert fan, but if bottles were thrown at him after the game then that’s a disgrace that should be acted on by the IRB.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Beale played well enough that one wonders whether Cheika will consider starting Beale at XV and moving Folau to the wing.

At least gave some food for thought.

Not a bad idea at all. I've always been a doubter but he has comprehensively proved me wrong this season. He always looks dangerous on attack and is not a liability in defence any more.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Who gave Foley an 8? I give him a 4. And' that's actually a 3 but he's gets a +1 for the pressure kick at the end.

His first half was one of the worst I've seen. An error-ridden performance. The second half he was better but he made that chip kick which was charged down and lead to a try, and his goal-kicking was horrible (besides the last one).

Fox HQ gave him the 8 but in fairness even they said he was a 4 out of 10 prior to that penalty kick to win the game...but whilst pressure kick - deserves a +1 and not a +4 which Fox HQ gave him for that winning kick

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I am not allowed to start a thread, so I was hoping someone could start one pointing out that the four best southern hemisphere nations are all through to the semis in a northern hemisphere world cup.

Its also worth considering that maybe we weren't the only group of death with three southern hemisphere nations, looking at pool C, who also had 2 of the 3 semi finalists.

Really, how shit group d was with no southern hemisphere nations and france who were really really bad.

I think appropriate internet punishment should be handed out to our northern hemisphere neighbours, for the performances of their nations, which for years has been dour dour negative play is finally coming to haunt the muppets.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Only seen the highlights so far and heard the headlines. The one thing I really hate in rugby is when the ref decides the outcome. Doubly so when it's ffing Joubert. Happens too often. Hopefully that is the end of his career.

Australia will beat Argies. Discipline will kill them. They got away with quite a bit last night and got caught committing some crazy shit

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought Kepu was good. His side of the scrum had no issues and he looked to get through plenty of work around the field.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Yes probably bit harsh to have only 1 point difference between Kepu and Sio as was Sio's side getting smashed...ok I will give Kepu a 6.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Beale played well enough that one wonders whether Cheika will consider starting Beale at XV and moving Folau to the wing.

At least gave some food for thought.

While I think Beale went OK we lacked authority in the contest at the back - just as we did against Wales. The reality probably is that teams don't kick as much to the back when Folau is on, even if he is carrying an injury.
Foley's charge down was a pretty basic schoolboy error in that he went to the line and then kicked: if we want to do that Genia is a much better option for the charge down!! I often think that when the 10 makes a decision he should back it even if he has second thoughts: a decision backed 100% usually finishes up with a better result than changing your mind. Jack Nicklaus had the same view about selecting a club and then changing your selection.
To play that badly and win might actually be a good sign.
Under Cheka I don't think the Wobs have put in 2 performances in a row that were sub par until these last 2 so I am thinking he'll give them a rocket this week.
Presumably the mind games with Pocock and Folau will continue.
How bad is Sio's injury - didn't look promising when he cradled his arm in his jersey as he walked off.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am not allowed to start a thread, so I was hoping someone could start one pointing out that the four best southern hemisphere nations are all through to the semis in a northern hemisphere world cup.

Its also worth considering that maybe we weren't the only group of death with three southern hemisphere nations, looking at pool C, who also had 2 of the 3 semi finalists.

Really, how shit group d was with no southern hemisphere nations and france who were really really bad.

I think appropriate internet punishment should be handed out to our northern hemisphere neighbours, for the performances of their nations, which for years has been dour dour negative play is finally coming to haunt the muppets.

In fairness - Wales and Scotland certainly were no disgrace to Northern Hemisphere rugby and lost games that could have gone either way.

As for France - as a second tier rugby side they did very well to make it out of the pools...;)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
There is a saying that the sign of a good team is one that plays poorly but still wins.
Aust have had a tough tough few weeks and hopefully this is the wall being hit and now they get back to there best.
To score 5 tries to 3 and lose would be unfair and i am sure if the penalties given to Scotland that were kicked were put under the microscope as much as the last one give to Aust i am sire there would be doubt on 1 or 2 of them.
Good to see Aust score some nice tries running the ball as against Scotland scoring tries by tackling??
This, for mine.

I am carrying around a bit of a shallow feeling, it doesn't feel like we won.

The big blight on the game for me was the yellow card on maitland. Aside from that though the ref was poor but I don't think he favored either team, he made some bad calls both ways. I have no issue with the final penalty.

Anyway, we've been on the wrong end of our share of close games lately, so I'll take it! I think if Scotland had of snuck home the general consensus would have been they they didn't deserve it. It was only the boots of laidlaw v foley on the night that kept them in it.

Onwards we march.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

This is a really dumb posting, especially after last night. Glad you can't start threads mate

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ah well. At least Glasgow get 15 players back for next week. Brown, Bryce, Reid, Jonny, Swinson, Strauss, Wilson, Pyrgos, Russell, Weir, Seymour, Horne, Lamont, Vernon & Hogg. Even if the regulars miss out, Bryce, Swinson, Wilson, Henry, Duncan and Vernon is a nice set of additions to the team to take on Leinster.

Woo! Positives!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
While I think Beale went OK we lacked authority in the contest at the back - just as we did against Wales. The reality probably is that teams don't kick as much to the back when Folau is on, even if he is carrying an injury.
Foley's charge down was a pretty basic schoolboy error in that he went to the line and then kicked: if we want to do that Genia is a much better option for the charge down!! I often think that when the 10 makes a decision he should back it even if he has second thoughts: a decision backed 100% usually finishes up with a better result than changing your mind. Jack Nicklaus had the same view about selecting a club and then changing your selection.
To play that badly and win might actually be a good sign.
Under Cheka I don't think the Wobs have put in 2 performances in a row that were sub par until these last 2 so I am thinking he'll give them a rocket this week.
Presumably the mind games with Pocock and Folau will continue.
How bad is Sio's injury - didn't look promising when he cradled his arm in his jersey as he walked off.

What do you mean he lacked authority in the back?

He got tested under 2 high balls and took them well. He also made a couple of very good kicks from the back pinning Scotland to the corners - those kicks izzy cannot do. His passing was accurate which lead to the tries to Mitchell out wide.

Now I'm not saying take Beale over Izzy (I'd never suggest that), but I thought Beale was very good tonight.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ah well. At least Glasgow get 15 players back for next week. Brown, Bryce, Reid, Jonny, Swinson, Strauss, Wilson, Pyrgos, Russell, Weir, Seymour, Horne, Lamont, Vernon & Hogg. Even if the regulars miss out, Bryce, Swinson, Wilson, Henry, Duncan and Vernon is a nice set of additions to the team to take on Leinster.

Woo! Positives!

Plenty of positives for Scotland. I gave them no hope and went to bed. Deeply regret it now. Love how Scotland can rise to big occasion.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Laidlaw was a touch salty at the post match interview.

To be fair to him, 20 seconds after the final whistle is NOT the time to be asking about specific instances.

Yeah the on-field interviewer needs an uppercut. What a dick- first two questions about the ref, just goading Laidlaw into a response. Then did the same to Moore, who had the good sense to bat the question away.

No class at all. One of the most epic RWC quarters and we get that. We all deserved better.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Kurtley played bloody well I thought. He looked dangerous every time he got the ball and went well under the high ball. That's a good thing, because you'd expect that it's a tactic they'll use a fair bit.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
People are saying either one of two things:
1. Joubert should have gone upstairs.
2. Joubert is a muppet and gifted Australia the game.

1. No he should not have. He called what he saw. How many times in a match do we see a slomo where the ref could have actually gone upstairs? ALL THE TIME. Refs call what they see. In realtime he called what he saw. It happens all the time. GET OVER IT.
2. See 1.

I get it from the Scots. It SUCKS to lose like this. But you cannot blame the ref. Blame yourselves for a SHIT line out prior to this play. You choked at that line out. BIG TIME. That is why you lost. Be pissed by all means, but don't be ridiculous.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Beale played an excellent game. Consistently threatened the line, took the high balls, kicked well with, 1 exception I think? Best of your backs easy. Fardy was the best of your forwards too, even though we kept his breakdown influence to a minimum compared to Wales, he was great in open play.

After that Genia played well apart from the unfortunate knock on, and 1 or 2 kicks. Douglas has continued the upward trajectory, Benny Mac carried well, and should be on the bench ahead of McMahon if Pocock is fit.

Sio's injury sucked, while he got outfoxed by Nel (much like PAE against Slipper this year in the Soup), he's been nothing short of excellent for you.

You need to utilise Kuridrani better as well. We had a soft soft centre pairing that does play above its weight, but Kuridrani at pace would have still got 5-10m in contact every time.

Looking forward to the Semi next week, albeit with a wistfulness in my heart.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
People are saying either one of two things:
1. Joubert should have gone upstairs.
2. Joubert is a muppet and gifted Australia the game.

1. No he should not have. He called what he saw. How many times in a match do we see a slomo where the ref could have actually gone upstairs? ALL THE TIME. Refs call what they see. In realtime he called what he saw. It happens all the time. GET OVER IT.
2. See 1.

I get it from the Scots. It SUCKS to lose like this. But you cannot blame the ref. Blame yourselves for a SHIT line out prior to this play. You choked at that line out. BIG TIME. That is why you lost. Be pissed by all means, but don't be ridiculous.

All the more reason the TMO shouldn't have stepped in for the yellow card.

Status
Not open for further replies.