• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
The ABC this morning said the review panel was headed by an former Scots flanker. If true it is a travesty. There is no point in the IRB dumping on a referee unless they actually intend to do something about it ie take the game away.

Even if they are right it is their stupid fault for using the term intentionally in the rules. In knock downs, off side etc they ask the ref to determine what is in someone's mind when an action is carried out.

This and the decision on the two Scots forwards indicate what a joke the IRB are.

And before anyone starts talking about the actual event, I don't care - it is the behaviour of the IRB appeals which should be on trial. The Ref might be right or wrong but no one one the IRB or on the forum could see exactly what the ref saw or did not see and what he based his judgement. They should have reviewed it in slow time to see how the process could be improved and with input from the ref rather than hanging him out to dry.

Who would wan't to be a ref.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cheika puts his hand up:

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/115754

“I’ve got to take a lot of responsibility for the team not fulfilling its potential on Sunday,” Cheika said, as he considered how close Australia, the overwhelming favourites to beat the Scots, had come to a sensational defeat. Only a contentious 79th-minute penalty decision and the cool head of goal kicker Bernard Foley ensured their 35-34 victory and a semi-final berth against Argentina.
“I think I let the team think too much about the games they’d played before, so they were still thinking about the games against England and Wales and I let that atmosphere stay.
NO REPEAT

“I should have wiped those things out and just focused on the next challenge: on the Scottish scrum or whatever it was. I don’t feel that I, as the coach, performed very well last week in preparing the team for that quarter-final. I’ll make sure that doesn’t happen again this week.”

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
World Rugby should have an exhibition game where we have 7 referees on the field like in the NFL.

Everyone could have yellow flags that they can drop when they've seen an incident. The main referee can have a whistle in order to stop play.

They can then review each and every incident and ensure that they've got everything 100% correct after looking at all available camera angles.

After the game takes four hours to play and has no flow we can assign the idea to the dustbin of history and go back to having a single referee in charge of the game who makes decisions in real time (with help from the TMO for foul play and tries) and acknowledge that occasional errors will be made.

I agree totally with this. The problem is when you introduce technology you're on a slippery slope to what you describe. And I'm afraid we on sites like this are part of the problem. Plus this is a professional sport now and there are $$$s involved in correct calls

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
They looked and played like a team who did too much work on the training paddock last week.

Let's hope Chubby lets them ease off a bit and freshen up.

That's what I thought too. Only other explanations for such a lethargic performance are complacency? a virus going through the side? food poisoning?

I think there might have been too much hard work on the training paddock combined with the efforts required during the pool stages. Hoping it will be sorted by next weekend.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I believe the referee's decision to be final and correct. He called it as he saw it and had no option to be assisted by the TMO or the TV producer or the crowd or the Welsh faeiries shagging you precious gnome.

Strange as it might seem, I partially agree with you. His decision was final. He probably had no option re: TMO or even the gnome. He was just wrong

tragic

John Solomon (38)
No matter how many times you say it, you can't change the fact that it was an incorrect call, as confirmed by World Rugby.
Interesting decision by the IRB.
The laws are very clear and it all boils down to whether Phipps deliberately play d at the ball or not. Joubert thinks he didn't. The IRB thinks he did. This forum is split 50/50 depending on the colour of their jersey.
The only person who knows for sure is Phipps.
I'm not a big fan of Joubert but it's a little unfair the IRB review board lead by a Scott profess to be able to read Phipps mind based on a bunch of inconclusive replays.
Anyway, it is what it is.
Shame for both groups of supporters that this is what it comes down to.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Wallabies were certainly robbed by that last decision. A scrum should have been awarded giving the Wallabies the opportunity to score their 6th try, win the game in a decisive fashion and not have to put up with a bunch of whinging that the referee gifted them the game or they somehow cheated. ;)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Joubert certainly loves the ANZACs.

He gifted the World Cup to NZ in 2011 (I am told)
And now he's at it again gifting Aussie a semi.

Don't let the facts get in the way.

The decision was line-ball. The other option was a scrum to the Wallabies, all the players in the team have heaps of experience in the toughest provincial and Test arenas in the world, they are enormously fit, and I would have backed them to win from there.

Referees have a tough job, they deserve better than the sort of mindless abuse they cop from sore losers.

Scotland would have been very, very fortunate to win that game. You did not do enough.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Interesting decision by the IRB.
The laws are very clear and it all boils down to whether Phipps deliberately play d at the ball or not. Joubert thinks he didn't. The IRB thinks he did. This forum is split 50/50 depending on the colour of their jersey.
The only person who knows for sure is Phipps.
I'm not a big fan of Joubert but it's a little unfair the IRB review board lead by a Scott profess to be able to read Phipps mind based on a bunch of inconclusive replays.
Anyway, it is what it is.
Shame for both groups of supporters that this is what it comes down to.

That's actually very interesting point that I thought of when watching it unfold. Phipps' body language has guilt written all over it. He knows he got away with something

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As I've been told by many an opponent when I continued to harp and whine: look at the scoreboard. Check the record books. Its there in black and white.

This game ended 30 hours ago. Joubers didn't miss a tackle, drop any passes, miss any kicks, collapse any scrums, or cause the ref to blow the whistle.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
That's actually very interesting point that I thought of when watching it unfold. Phipps' body language has guilt written all over it. He knows he got away with something
So the IRB can read minds.
And you can read body language.
Straws and long bows all round.
Time to move on to next week.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
As I've been told by many an opponent when I continued to harp and whine: look at the scoreboard. Check the record books. Its there in black and white.

This game ended 30 hours ago. Joubers didn't miss a tackle, drop any passes, miss any kicks, collapse any scrums, or cause the ref to blow the whistle.

And the game enters legend.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Most people are pretty convinced that often, Nick Phipps doesn't even know what he's thinking.

I guess next time he can ask World Rugby for clarification.

Do you reckon there is really any benefit in bringing him on? Having watched Cheika do it several times I can't see that he adds anything over Genia

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do you reckon there is really any benefit in bringing him on? Having watched Cheika do it several times I can't see that he adds anything over Genia

He was good at the end there and played with pace.

The benefit of bringing him on is having the fresh legs. If Genia can go at the same pace for the entire 80 he isn't going hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.