• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC23 - Pool C - AUSTRALIA, Wal, Fiji, Georgia, Portugal

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’m going to assume the Nuggets won the series, and not Miami despite being historically the stronger franchise…
What? So when Miami beat the Nuggets in 1 match that series, directly after that 1 match they could be considered the better side?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1693398650820.gif

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
IDK about that.

If you look at where "substantial" points gap exists, the teams go:

Ireland, South Africa, France, NZ
Scotland
Argentina, Fiji, England, Australia
Wales
Georgia, Samoa, Italy
Japan
Tonga
Portugal, Uruguay, Romania, Spain
Namibia, Chile

Is that not a fairly accurate take on how teams have performed over the past 6-18 months?
I'll tell you why this isn't accurate at all.

Now I am FULLY AWARE Fiji haven't played them,

but since the last RWC:

Australia has lost to Ireland by 3, beaten South Africa 3 times, beaten NZ once, with a draw and a couple close defeats, beaten France twice and 1 close loss.
Argentina has beaten NZ twice, lost to South Africa by 1, lost to a full strength France in Paris by 9
England has drawn with NZ, beaten SA, beaten Ireland twice.

What on earth has Fiji done? Sweet fuck all. Beaten England at their lowest ebb in England once. It's literally their ONLY victory of note since the last RWC. Even ignoring it's a RWC warm-up match which have questionable motives, intentions and preparation. But ok, that result now means they are on par with these 3 other sides and are 50/50 to beat them in any match they play now.

NO.

My god it was only last year they lost to Australia A by 14 at home.

FFS, they've improved but they wouldn't beat NZ or SA a single time in 10 attempts. They might beat Ireland once or twice in 10 attempts.

Some of you would be horrible gamblers, in fact I'll give anyone the chance to back Fiji @ 2.50 v Australia and 2.00 v Wales against me.

Last edited:

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Maybe if Fiji got the opportunity to play these games more often they might win them more?

Before Argentina entered the Tri Nations, did anyone think it was possible for them to beat the All Blacks? Let alone twice, and in New Zealand

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You mean like how Fiji played the All Blacks back to back in 2021 and lost by 50 each time?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Think realistically we should top this pool, I’d also have it as a toss of a coin between Georgia, Wales and Fiji as who gets out

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Think realistically we should top this pool, I’d also have it as a toss of a coin between Georgia, Wales and Fiji as who gets out
I agree should beat Georgia by 20+, Wales 7-10 & Fiji by 10 but ideally more than that, I think Georgia and Fiji are being hyped up a bit they beat a very poor Welsh and English side but all other wins against Tier 2 really, Georgia we’re no match against Scotland on the weekend and Fiji lost to a weaker French side by a similar margin to us, but we played their full strength without Korobiete, Ikitau, Kerevi, Slipper, Pone etc.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
You mean like how Fiji played the All Blacks back to back in 2021 and lost by 50 each time?
So two tests against the All Blacks in New Zealand after not playing any games since 2019 is enough to say they suck?

If losing to NZ makes you rubbish then we are in trouble. Fact is NZ, South Africa and Ireland are the only tier 1 teams Fiji hasn't beaten

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wow, really sad news for Fiji's RWC hopes. Caleb Muntz has been ruled out of the tournament. Huge loss, kid looks great and was a real weapon in a typical weak spot for Fiji. Massive boost to Wales and Australia. Genuinely thinks this tips the balance and I now have Aus, Wales in the top 2 spots easily.

edit: haha might've posted too soon. Fiji news all over the shop.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wow, really sad news for Fiji's RWC hopes. Caleb Muntz has been ruled out of the tournament. Huge loss, kid looks great and was a real weapon in a typical weak spot for Fiji. Massive boost to Wales and Australia. Genuinely thinks this tips the balance and I now have Aus, Wales in the top 2 spots easily.

Apparently not confirmed...

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Apparently not confirmed...

And he's outta here again.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
By geez, this is not disappointing is it?
Can the Fijians keep it up for another half, can Wales hang on??
Will Biggar give North a cuddle in sheds during break and calm down?
This is bloody good!

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
By geez, this is not disappointing is it?
Can the Fijians keep it up for another half, can Wales hang on??
Will Biggar give North a cuddle in sheds during break and calm down?
This is bloody good!
I still don't think either of these teams should be a problem for us if we play well