• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC23 - Pool C - AUSTRALIA, Wal, Fiji, Georgia, Portugal

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Hell you didn't think so? I thought they were bloody good, both teams were I thought. I would think we will be lucky to see many more games as good as that!
They are playing their footy but with discipline, they were in that to the 82 minute. It will be on when they play us.

I thought the ref could have sat down Welsh players when they kept infringing on their line.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Hell you didn't think so? I thought they were bloody good, both teams were I thought. I would think we will be lucky to see many more games as good as that!
At the time when they were down 32-14, even so this is a very poor Welsh side many thought they’d beat, they need consistent results to prove themselves

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Fiji really beat themselves in that game. Basic errors and poor defence at times let the Welsh off the hook

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
One of the best games I've seen in a while, if you miss it you are mad. Fiji are fit as and we will find it hard to hold them. Wales was bloody lucky and both teams played their hearts out.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
At the time when they were down 32-14, even so this is a very poor Welsh side many thought they’d beat, they need consistent results to prove themselves
I thought Wales were far better than they have been and it is a testament to their D and BD work plus that final dropped pass that killed Fiji.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Feel sorry for Fiji they are going to do it tough at this point (I hope). Probably the game of the opening round all the same. Wallabies definitely will look to step up a gear for the next two games.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Well Fuuuuck. Great game to watch.

Makes the next game even more important. Wallabies can book the next round by beating Fiji and giving them 2 losses.

I’d be picking a big Backrow. Fiji love the pick n go and are very good at it. McReight might be better used v Wales and let Gleeson, Kemeny play 7 in this one.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I didn't watch the full game but am aware of the chat about the inconsistent refereeing of penalties vs cards, specifically that it contributed to the Welsh win.

Big games often boil down to small moments and the decision to throw a 25m cut out pass over two attackers with a big overlap was one of those moments. Catch and pass, let Radradra do his thing. Fiji should have won it but were their own downfall.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I didn't watch the full game but am aware of the chat about the inconsistent refereeing of penalties vs cards, specifically that it contributed to the Welsh win.

Big games often boil down to small moments and the decision to throw a 25m cut out pass over two attackers with a big overlap was one of those moments. Catch and pass, let Radradra do his thing. Fiji should have won it but were their own downfall.
I know you don't always get those small moments in the mini matches, but I just watched the mini-replay and there were a couple of times the Fiji boys really let themselves down.

There was a knocked on try (which was a very close call from the TMO), and a few other times when they were on the attack and turned over the ball in contact or via a penalty.

Eastcoast

Larry Dwyer (12)
Will be interesting to see how they use Fines this week with McDermott most likely out. I feel White tries to be too clever, which sometimes ruins our momentum. Fines could be very dangerous if given 40 minutes against a tiring pack

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
With our rookie flyhalf and fullback, I'm gunna start White who has 60+ caps. His kicking game is class, we don't need another rookie against Fiji.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I actually thought the pass was the right choice. It even sat up perfectly for Radradra who had so much space and time that not only would he have scored but he couldve run it round to get closer to the posts.

Dude dropped it cold.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
50/50 on whether the two man cut out was best, but totally agree on Radradra spilling it. He'll have cold sweats about that for years.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I've a feeling White was just doing White things & trying to milk a penalty as he looked fine not long after......

Agreed with the starting Fines thing then bringing on White if he's having a mare.
Nah, I reckon he was genuinely in some pain. It might have been a stinger that wore off but I won't be surprised if the there is a late announcement about a more serious injury. If that's the case though it is getting late to replace him or Tate under the 48 hour rule. Still, Lonergan is handy if required. I just don't want to see Eddie do the Eddie thing and have Donaldson/Kellaway/Kemeny as IFL's backup if we're down two fit halves.